Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

American Looking British Cars

jay dh

i saw a 3dr 1973 ford cortina (pictured below) today, was in good condish and i thought it looked quite cool.

SEPT1973_0006.jpg

i initially thought it was an american car but when i got close i saw what it was. i know its not a spitting image of an american car but looks like they tried... Was there a trend back in the 60's & 70's to do this? if so, what other car makers did it?

Jay

... Was there a trend back in the 60's & 70's to do this? if so, what other car makers did it?

Look up Mk2 Celica (fastback)

JY04%5E012.JPG

Mk1 Supra

2005_0221Image0006.jpg

2005_0221Image0005.jpg

Even to a small extent.. the Mkiii supra (compared toa ZR-1 corvette)

9533.jpg

Naturally the supra is far better looking ;)

Ford is an american company....hence technically the Cortina is an american car :thumbsup:

Ford is an american company....hence technically the Cortina is an american car  :thumbsup:

i didnt phrase it correctly then

i meant american looking british cars sold in england

personally i think it looks like a ford cortina.............

im not saying it doesnt, just that shape looks a little american where as the previous shape is more british looking IMO

Jay

ahhhh man... i remember those when i was a kid.. been in many in my time

damn i am showing my age

hey who is that driving that cortina?? check our the pork chops on the side of his face!!!

ahhhh man... i remember those when i was a kid.. been in many in my time

damn i am showing my age

hey who is that driving that cortina?? check our the pork chops on the side of his face!!!

Thats exactly what my eyes were drawn to lol bad side burns (I hate them)

Nash Metropolitan...

54-56_7316sokyrka.jpg

This is a 1954 one... as you can see, this sort of thing has been going on for a while...

A

The cortina definately had that look about it. I actually had one of those fast back Celica's in metalic blue. Sold it to my mate to buy an RS 2000 which of course had a Janspeed on it

A good thread this.

Some people are only to happy/keen to sneer at Yank cars but forget it is American styling that influenced the motor world body designs.

Just some a few examples

1920's and 1930's

Ford: Model T and Model A some were assembled here and sold.

1950's and 1960's

Ford: Consul, Zepher and Zodiac

Vauxhall: Cresta, Wyvern and Velox

Rootes Group: Hillman Minx, Singer Gazell, Sunbeam Rapier

First Toyota Land Cruiser and Nissan 4X4 were copies of famous WW2 Willys Jeep....but then as we know Japan invents nothing they just copy and inprove (there rust certainly does :lol:) :lol:

Going back to Cortina statement of MK3 being Yankified, people forget MK2 was equally Yank in styling of the time as this was a scaled down clone of contempary Ford Falcon of same era.

A good thread this.

Some people are only to happy/keen to sneer at Yank cars but forget it is American styling that influenced the motor world body designs.

cheers

i like the 50's 60's and some 70's styling of most american cars - they are stunning. i wish it were eaasier to have one over here, pain being LHD hence y i thought of this thread, although a substitute isnt always best.

i like the capri i pictured above, but i think what im looking for, one day ill need to import a car i want...

No afraid not, it's just I saw that MGB was one of the cars they've stuck on list first.

I just love that mk2 Celica Fastback!

Looks a bit like a Dodge Charger but probably was lighter, faster and handled alot better

theShire Posted Today, 10:44 AM

Looks a bit like a Dodge Charger but probably was lighter, faster and handled alot better

Lighter ...................... Yes

Handled alot better .... Yes, without question

Faster ........................NO WAY! I don't think it would get anywhere near the power of good 'ole American Muscle :lol::lol::lol:

You've picked the wrong car :-p

That Sell-eeeeeker is totally the baby of a 1970 Ford Torino. Another one.

And yeah, unless it was some anemic 6-cylinder version, a Charger would leave that Celica for dead, until you had to stop, at which point you'd smash into a tree.

But you'd do it in style....... :D

Look up Mk2 Celica (fastback)

JY04%5E012.JPG

I just realised thats actually a mk1 not a mk2 celica, charlie charlie charlie i would have thought you would know better :lol::thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links