Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Mr2

caz

Nope.

The MR2 name will be ceased next year along with production of the current Mk3 model..

As the Celica is also being killed off - it is expected that both models will be replaced with a single sports model with a new name...

As the Celica is also being killed off - it is expected that both models will be replaced with a single sports model with a new name...

i spoke to a toyota salesman the other day (gf used to work there so knew him) and he said there has been no announced replacement for the mr2 and celica. he is the son of the boss of the franchise too.

i know some salesman keep quiet etc but he genuinly looked confused when i said that people on here spoke of a replacement...

yeh i know a guy from a certain rrg who vowed a new rav4 was not coming out - bought around six brand new cars from him known him for years - he still vowed no new rav4 - now i have a 55 plate rav4 and the new one is out vvvvv soon

so no never trust a car salesman in my experience

I heard it from a very reliable source a while ago - it has been backed up by other, more recent information of the thread.

The information is correct, the MR2 and Celica name will die with the current models... as for moving forward, this is harder to be more specific on - as Toyota generally does not like to give too much away with new models...

any comments on my above comment?

Yeah - the dealers are usually the last people to find out what is going on!

I don't know if it's been announced officially, but it seems to be fairly common knowledge that the current MR2 is to cease production. It doesn't appear that a direct replacement would be planned, but don't forget that Lotus use the Toyota engine in the Elise and Exige now.

Also, the celica has been dropped from the US market. The current model is getting a bit long in the tooth, and toyota have just released the GT special edition model (which they have a habit of doing to boost the final few sales before a model is dropped).

I would expect an announcement fairly soon regarding any possible replacement, but it's likely to be a combined version of the two cars - hopefully about the equivalent of the S2000?

u were buying a car off him though, i wasnt and he knew there was no sale

although i spose i could pass the info on...

he did say that production of both will stop, told me of the new rav 4 and said something bout a previa but couldnt give much info

The dealers know jack - mine didnt even know about the new Mk2 Yaris and it'd been reported in the car mags and road tested and everything and they didnt have a clue! I was the one who told them and showed them the photos!

It was reported ages ago about the MR2 and Celica, and also the Previa as well.....

ok fair enuf, i dont normally trust a dealer but seeing as its people who work at dealers on here that know the info, i thought they would know

me 2 jay - at least it clears my point I wont be buyin a new mr2.

tar

why not? u wanted to know if there was a new one coming out, and there isnt

Dont think they will replace it till late next year, usually weve heard of what it is by now! But hey i work at toyota and am the last to know! :lol:

YEA YEA ALL CAR SALESPEOPLE ARE CRAP, THEY KNOW F-ALL AND WILL SELL YOUR MOTHER IF THEY GOT A CHANCE

i`ll just go and hide in the boot of a Aygo now. TBH we get told nothing we only got the Aygo 2 weeks ago here, the only thing i know that ye dont is about the new corolla, thats because i seen it in testing, but apart from that i was told nothing about a new Celica/MR2

EDIT

O O O O I have to be the first person on here to put the new IS250 sideway, drove her last week, ssswwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :yes:

Yeah - you could be in for a long wait for the replacement...

and more than likely, it will be a 2+2 coupe rather than a 2 seater sports..

I'd say go for it...

Either the Mr T salesmen I have dealt with deserve an Oscar, or they really do not know anything about new releases / end of production info.

Same as DA - I was having quite a chat with one of them and asked about the new Yaris (yes it had already been featured in car mags and discussed on here). He looked at me as if I'd grown two heads and catagorically denied the release. Even told me that the P1 & P2s are so good that he couldn't see a replacement viable. In short, he didn't believe me. I also mentioned possible plans for the Corolla and he went all cagey and wanted to know where I got my information from. Read some car magazines once in a while fool!

Thinking about it - if you wanted a new Mk3 MR2 - now would be the best time to buy one...

Generally, when a car is coming to the end of its life - all its mechanical gremlins are long gone, your going to get the best spec, as they tend to update every so often - so when you come to sell - you have all the extra features etc...

and if you know its coming to the end, thats a great bargining chip - because the dealers will have a central stock that needs selling up - so if your not fussy about colour/spec, you could get a bargin!

You need to understand - for companies like Toyota, the dealers have no actual connection to the Car company.

The dealerships are franchises - so they 'lease' the right to sell new Toyota's, and use the Toyota name and logo's..

More often than not, they are ran by a company, like Fish Brothers, than have franchises for most normal car companies (renault, ford etc), and in other cases, it is indivuduals etc...

But the fact remains, the dealership is in control of a completley seperate entity - and (short of a very clued up salesman) only has the information which the car company sends to them in press releases etc...

Read some car magazines once in a while fool!

You'd think they'd have subscriptions to Auto Express/Top Gear/What Car to check out competition...

But then you'd think their head office would actually tell them first to save things like that.... I mean how stupid to you look telling a customer that theres no such thing as a Mk2 Yaris, and then finding out a few months later that, oh by the way, there is..... :rolleyes:

You need to understand - for companies like Toyota, the dealers have no actual connection to the Car company.

The dealerships are franchises - so they 'lease' the right to sell new Toyota's, and use the Toyota name and logo's..

More often than not, they are ran by a company, like Fish Brothers, than have franchises for most normal car companies (Renault, ford etc), and in other cases, it is individuals etc...

But the fact remains, the dealership is in control of a completely separate entity - and (short of a very clued up salesman) only has the information which the car company sends to them in press releases etc...

I do understand that Fidgits. My local Toyota has recently left the Octagon franchise.

Fact is, they are still selling Toyotas under the Toyota brand and should make it their business to know about new releases whether via PR or through information around the scene.

I do not appreciate being spoken to like a liar when I know full damn well a new Yaris will be launched next year. Just because an official Toyota headed piece of paper has not come to them stating this fact does not excuse ignorance.

If they did know and opted to keep it hush-hush then a simple "I have not been provided official information on this" will suffice. I do not want to be given a load of bull on the subject. It not only looks unprofessional, but what confidence can you have in a salesman (or garage) who will swear blind that your information is incorrect and therefore untrue just because they haven't heard about it?

The sales managers are the one who usually know first! No use asking salesmen as they wont know till the last minute!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links