Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vvti Query

davdwinst

I have a Yaris T-sport which i purchased second hand from a toyota dealer about 3 months ago, its a 52 reg and done 14,000miles when i bought it. Last week an amber light came on the dash, i looked in the manual and 'electronic malfunction' was the possible problem, so i took it to a dealer and the code from the diagnostics test came up as vvti failing!. The dealership told me the light had been cancelled out and they wanted me to road test the car until the light came on again, which hasn't to date. Heres my query though, as he told me the problem may be because i may have been pottering about(not neccessarily true) and i needed to give the car a blast every now and again to stop the vvti blocking up, is this utter rubbish or what?, im not sure how the vvti unit works so don't really know. Anyone with any feedback please, i am paranoid now about the light coming on or my car blowing up!!!!!!!! :help:

I'm not sure, I've heard giving the car a hard drive once in a while does it good but I've never heard of anything like that to do with the VVT-i, I thought the ECU on the car gets used to the way you drive & the car performs accordingly but I'm about as far from a mechanic as you can possibly get. Until some1 more useful comes along though, don't worry about the car blowing up, I'm sure if there was any chance of that happening Mr T would know. What kind of RPM do you usually go upto?

Sounds like a clueless dealer trying to fob you off to be honest mate :(

"fitters, not mechanics"

:thumbsup:

Isn't the Yaris T-sport vvtL-i? i.e. it has variable lift as well as advance? It only operates at high rpms, so if you never use it then, in theory, it might be possible that it sticks or something. I wouldn't worry about it, unless it happens again. From what you say, it sounds like it might be a sensor rather than anything mechanical anyway.

Cheers for the feedback let you know of any changes, still love my car though!!! just don't want it to be poorly!! :group-cuddles:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links