Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Me Spend My Money

vanillaice

Hello,

Seriously thinking about ploughing some money into my AE92 Gti, as opposed to buying another car.

Thinking of spending in the region of £600 on parts to put some life back into the old girl. The thing is, what should I concentrate on?

I find there's alot of road noise? Is this common, or is something worn?

Currently I am thinking of replacing the following to reduce this (PLEASE ADVISE):

-Suspension bushes for superflex's all round

-Wheel bearings (if they contribute towards road noise).

-KYB shocks (from fensport) should any need replacing

To improve handling:

-Lowered springs (+20% and -35mm)

To improve performance:

-Drill holes into the standard airbox

-Mongoose SS exhaust system (Will wait until section incurrent OEM system needs replacing)

To improve brakes:

-Refurbish and/or replace rear calipers/pads/discs

My main aim is to make the car feel newer, I'm fed up of lumps and bumps!!

Is there anything I might have missed?

Cheers,

ICE

Hey there,I bought the kyb shocks and springs and to be honest,a mate of mine has another J plate went koni,but he only replace the shock with new toyota re-placement shocks,i wish i did this too as i feel every nock and crany in the road.

His feels so much smoother.

As for the exhaust,well the guy with the other J plate had a mongoose on his but i robbed it and i love the noise she makes.whether it be low revs or screamin' her !Removed! off its sounds good.

still have standard brakes so i cant help u on that,although i would like it a bit more responsive..

BoB

suspention and bushes will set you back most of that 600 quid probly all if your getting some 1 to fit them.bearings only if there knackered,check them out re grease em.brakes if there worn replace if you can be ubikd wire brush em mabye file.please dont drill your air box i hate this it does nothing buy a decent induction kit,exaust well dont expect big gains but you :rolleyes: cant beat a fruity sound.

hope i helped and didnt sound an a**e

Hey there,I bought the kyb shocks and springs and to be honest,a mate of mine has another J plate went koni,but he only replace the shock with new toyota re-placement shocks,i wish i did this too as i feel every nock and crany in the road.

His feels so much smoother.

Can you clarify please BoB, I'm a bit confused :wacko:

still  have standard brakes so i cant help u on that,although i would like it a bit more responsive..

BoB

I currently have Black Diamond cross drilled and grooved with standard pads, feels more responsive than standard. I'm not wishing to add to my breaking power, just optimize what I already have. I'm not wishing to GREATLY increase the power so dont need HUGE brakes.

Can some one clarify that new bushes will smoothen and quieten the ride of a 129K car?

Cheers,

ICE

yep dont drill your air box or fit an induction kit unless you are going to sort out a proper enclosed cold air supply or you'll have all sound and no performance. can defo recomend the superflex bushes they tighten up the feel of the car no end, however they can be a PITA to fit so be warned.

if your getting a lot of road noise wip off the boot trim that goes round the sides and check for corrosion as this area can be quite bad

I 2nd what Dawsey just said about not induction kit!!! i went back standard after over a year and its a LOT faster and more economical!!! Just get a panel filter, the Blitz one from fensport seems ok, only about 50.00 all in!! the airbox design on hondas and toyotas are the 2nd to none and just needs a small increase in airflow which the panel will do.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE -

Currently going for:

Superflex Bushes - complete set

Standard rear discs and pagid pads

Rear Calipers (Recon)

Handbrake Cables (L + R)

Distributor Cap

Rotor Arm

NGK Platinum Spark Plugs

Magnecor Leads

Blitz Panel Filter

Had planned on getting these all from Fensport, but it all soon adds up to quite a bit!! :eek:

Would I recoup the cost of going gold from the discounts it would give me in getting the above kit?

Do Fensport accept the TOC gold membership?

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on rear calipers?

Cheers,

ICE

Good choice on the Blitz panel, ill be getting one soon, and i just got some Denso iridiums for 26.50 ik20's from Aussie eBay :D, so im laffin, saved a tenner, and im fitting Gmax shocks with pi springs, just need to buy the pi's but bought the gmax's of TOYMOTA

but good luck with your tuning and make sure you get it rolling roaded and tuned once youve made your changes

Good choice on the Blitz panel, ill be getting one soon, and i just got some Denso iridiums for 26.50 ik20's from Aussie Ebay :D, so im laffin, saved a tenner, and im fitting Gmax shocks with pi springs, just need to buy the pi's but bought the gmax's of TOYMOTA

but good luck with your tuning and make sure you get it rolling roaded and tuned once youve made your changes

Cheers matey :thumbsup:

What sort of BHP do you reckon it will be producing with what I plan on upgrading?? Bearing in mind it will be using the standard exhaust system. That said a full Mongoose system might have to go on at a later date!

I thought about getting some gmax shocks and springs, but dont think I will lower the car for now, what to keep it looking realtively standard (not too boy racer like). But never say never ;)

Anyone got thoughts on the kind of saving going Gold would bring??

ICE

Have got:

Superflex Bushes - complete set

Standard rear discs and pagid pads

Rear Calipers (Recon)

Handbrake Cables (L + R)

Distributor Cap

Rotor Arm

NGK Platinum Spark Plugs

Magnecor Leads

Blitz Panel Filter

on order and should be with me tomorrow :D

Will be like Christmas come early!

Just got to get it all fitted now :help::wacko:

ICE

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:

All parts have now been fitted except the bushes - but they are on my to do list along with tinkering with my hand brake, hopefully both will be sorted by the end of the month.

I have also now got a mongoose system fitted :D It's a bit louder than I'd hoped, but it does give out a nice sound and I think it has noticeably increased power :thumbsup:

The car has just come back from the spray shop and is looking a lot better, but needs to go back for a couple of minor niggles. (Should I have the Toyota on the rear mud flaps sprayed over, or keep the original look?)

Once its returned expect some before and after photo's.

ICE

vanillaice Can I ask you how much you paid for spraying your car coz I want to do that too for my car.

good work my man ,,,wheres the picys?????

vanillaice Can I ask you how much you paid for spraying your car coz I want to do that too for my car.

I'll let you know when I get the bill! In the region of £800 for the spraying, but new windscreen had to be fitted which will make it more, obviously :(

good work my man ,,,wheres the picys?????

All in good time. Thanks for answering all my questions on MSN :thumbsup: Piccys will be posted once she's complete and had a proper pampering.

ICE

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links