Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Confused New Owner

Sartori

Hiya All

My girlfriend has just bought a rav, a lovely little green 3 door 1997 Edge. We both love it but we are a bit confused about the way the alarm works and there is no mention of it in the handbook (there may have been a seperate booklet which has been lost over the years?) :wacko:

Firstly, the alarm seems to set itself even if the doors arent locked... is this normal and can you stop it? Secondly one of the alarm fobs came with a flat batteries, I changed these and now the red light comes on when you press the button, but no activity. Does the fob have to be 'introduced' to the alarm system?

We would be grateful for your help.

Hi Sartori, welcome to the LOC :) , i can't advise on the alarm ,but i'm sure someone will be along soon :thumbsup: .

Do you know if it's a Toyota alarm?

If you do unlock the doors (unset the alarm) and don't enter the car they do re-set themselves as a safety measure.

Where is your red flashing light situated? The standard fit ones are between the hand brake and gear stick.

If it is a Toyota one, there is a method for re-synchronising the remote fob but I can't remember it. I'm sure someone else will point it out though. Don't think they are messing you about when they tell you you've gotta turn the key in the ignition and open the door loads of time. It's a right pain in the bum!! :lol:

Oh, and welcome! :group-cuddles:

Oh yeah, I have a copy of the alarm instructions so could scan them for you if needs be.

Thanks Stuart, yes it is a Toyota alarm (at least the remotes have the toyota logo on them), if you could get me a copy of the instructions or point me to a web site with them I would really appreciate it :thumbsup:

Hi and welcome :D

To re-assign the fob to the alarm you need to press both buttons together the light comes on and stays on for a little while. Now press the lock or unlock button a couple of times and it should work.

Hope this has helped.

Hiya All

My girlfriend has just bought a rav, a lovely little green 3 door 1997 Edge. We both love it but we are a bit confused about the way the alarm works and there is no mention of it in the handbook (there may have been a seperate booklet which has been lost over the years?)  :wacko:

Firstly, the alarm seems to set itself even if the doors arent locked... is this normal and can you stop it? Secondly one of the alarm fobs came with a flat batteries, I changed these and now the red light comes on when you press the button, but no activity. Does the fob have to be 'introduced' to the alarm system?

We would be grateful for your help.

Hi Steve,

to re-syncrhronise the Rav Remote you have to do the following :

first "split" the remote by removing the small screw at the back,

you will now be left with the back case and Battery in one hand and the front case with the buttons in the other,

press the lock button for more than a second,

then assemble the remote and press lock and then unlock, at this point the doors should lock and indicators should flash, it should be fine after doing this unless there is something else wrong,

Good luck,

John

Will copy the instructions when I get chance for ya, no probs.

Not sure how much help they will be though.

I haven't got the best memory, but I'll remember in the end! :thumbsup:

Wow thanks everyone for the help :D

I shall go play with alarm fobs later today and get back to you.

Stuart you are a star, thanks.

Thanks John, I tried your way first and it worked fine. Thanks Angel as well. :thumbsup:

That is a huge relief, relying on one working fob is asking for trouble.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links