Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gti Tyres

vanillaice

Hi,

I'm looking for some new tyres for my GTi; primarily for the front.

Have been looking on various websites and have found that for 14" tyres with the widest tread and lowest profile tyre are 195/55 R14. I presume this is what I want for "spirited" road use.

Will 195/55 R14 fit the standard alloy? If so, which of these tyres would you choose:

Bridgestone Potenza RE 93

Toyo PROXES T1-R

Toyo PROXES T1-S

Or are there others brands/sizes I should consider?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

ICE

when i had my fiesta, 185/55/R14 i used to swear by Firestone TZ 200 FS, lasted more than 18000 miles without a change excellent tread pattern too.

Goodyear Eagle F1's are great but pricy.

I have got Pirelli P6000's on mine and they are very good cost about £40 quid each fitted (if memory serves me correct) but that was for the standard size 185/60/14 off the top of my head.

I had Goodyear Eagle F1's fitted this afternoon. Has made a BIG difference to road noise compared to the cheapies I had on before. They seem to grip well, but need to be broken is (nearly lost it, trying to hard on a greasy surface!). However, they seem to make the car twist when I throw it about. It almost feels as if the back end is being pushed out in the opposite direction to the front. Hard to describe, but an odd sensation - gonna take some getting used to.

Are these characteristics normal with F1's?

ICE

when i had my fiesta, 185/55/R14 i used to swear by Firestone TZ 200 FS, lasted more than 18000 miles without a change excellent tread pattern too.

Are you !Removed! nuts! Firestones arent known for ditch finding for nothing! Crap tyres! And you must drive like a wet lettuce to make any tyre last 18000 miles! :P

Vanillaice: Dude, i would of never fitted 195's onto the std size wheels as they are only 6 inch wide and a 195 tyre is too balloon'ey and would ruin the handling!

I would only ever run a 185/60 or a 175/60! The taughter the tyre on the rim, the better feedback and handling you will get!

And i would only run Yokohama A539's as they are the cheapest performance tyre on the market, and also work well on track! I pay £92 for a set of A539's! Thats £23 a tyre in a 185/60 HR14!

Vanillaice: Dude, i would of never fitted 195's onto the std size wheels as they are only 6 inch wide and a 195 tyre is too balloon'ey and would ruin the handling!

I would only ever run a 185/60 or a 175/60! The taughter the tyre on the rim, the better feedback and handling you will get!

And i would only run Yokohama A539's as they are the cheapest performance tyre on the market, and also work well on track! I pay £92 for a set of A539's! Thats £23 a tyre in a 185/60 HR14!

Dude! I fitted 185/60 R14's in the end. Do you not rate F1's?

Cheers,

ICE

I love Eagle F1's........had them on my old Fezzie Zetec-S and they were fantastic. Like you say, take some while to scrub up, but once they're broken in, they are so grippy in both wet and dry. Just a shame they don't do 205/45 R17 for the Celi TS :(

Dude! I fitted 185/60 R14's in the end. Do you not rate F1's?

Cheers,

ICE

Ah good, glad to hear it :thumbsup:

F1's aint to bad, just dont like the price tbh mate! They do perform better in the wet than the A539's, but not in the dry!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links