Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Oil Leaks 2002- 2005 Model Year Corolla

gazza2005

I have a Corolla 1.6VVTI Tspirit that has a engine rear oil leak at the junction of the timing chain cover, cylinder head, head gasket and engine block. If you hold a mirror up behind the rear of the engine next to the timing chain tensioner inspection hatch, the oil leak looks like it is emerging from the right hand side of the hatch, running down the timing chain cover and also along a small ledge on the engine block towards the exhaust manifold. I inspected several corollas 2002, 2003 2004, some had leaks some didn't.

Anyway it appears that the timing chain cover is not sealing at the junction between the head gasket, cylinder head and engine block. The cure is to remove the cylinder head and run silicon under the edges of the head gasket at this junction to create a seal. I am collecting my vehicle on Monday from the dealers after these repairs so we will see if all is cured. I have also had to have my sump resealed the car has only done 18000.

If any one cares to check their corolla 2002 model year onwards can you please report your findings here?

I have a Corolla 1.6VVTI Tspirit that has a engine rear oil leak at the junction of the timing chain cover, cylinder head, head gasket and engine block.  If you hold a mirror up behind the rear of the engine next to the timing chain tensioner inspection hatch, the oil leak looks like it is emerging from the right hand side of the hatch, running down the timing chain cover and also along a small ledge on the engine block towards the exhaust manifold.  I inspected several corollas 2002, 2003 2004, some had leaks some didn't.

Anyway it appears that the timing chain cover is not sealing at the junction between the head gasket, cylinder head and engine block.  The cure is to remove the cylinder head and run silicon under the edges of the head gasket at this junction to create a seal.  I am collecting my vehicle on Monday from the dealers after these repairs so we will see if all is cured.  I have also had to have my sump resealed the car has only done 18000.

If any one cares to check their corolla 2002 model year onwards can you please report your findings here?

will the dealer not mention this when a service is done

Dealer would not have reported it to me, kept trying to convince me that all engines have some sort of oil leaks and that old British cars used to have many leaks years ago. I quickly pointed out that this was a British built car!. We examined six cars on the forecourt from 2002 to 2004, 50% had this oil leak. Dealer pointed out that it might be a timing chain cover leak that many VVTi engine suffer from but this was supposed to have been sorted out in 2001 anyway he changed my cover and it still did not stop the oil leak.

Anyway I have now had the mod done and it is leak free. This mod was introduced on the production line in summer 2005

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links