Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sweet *****, What Have I Done? Thermostat Help P

floridagal7643

Well!, I finally did it. It only took me 2 months to screw up my new Corolla.

Specs:

1993 Corolla DX; 1.8 Liter Engine; Automatic Transmission

Background:

I was experiencing temperature gauge and high idle issues, so I came to the forum to find some answers. Sure enough, it looked like the problem was a thermostat that was stuck open. I picked up all the necessary parts -- toyota thermostat and gasket, anti-freeze, and torque wrench.

Problem:

When I was re-attaching the Thermostat Housing Cover I BROKE a bolt. Dammit! Long story short....I mis-read the 88 inch/pounds as 88 foot/pounds. Alla Peanut Butter Sandwiches, broken bolt.

Follow Up:

The housing has so far stayed in place with the remaining [bottom] bolt and the nub that used to be the other bolt. I have not seen any leaks either. Weird. The temperature gauge seems to be where it should ( about 1/3 the way up from cold); and the idle has chilled out a bit. But I can't let it rely on only one working bolt.

The Fix:

Please help. How can I remove the bolt???? I felt around what would be the back of the bolt and there appears to be an indentation. If I hammer on the nub that's sticking out, will it pop out the back, or is it welded in?? Or do I have to have it drilled out???

you need to get it out

stud extractors are the best bet if you can get at it in such a way, requires popping a centre on the top of the duff bolt, running a drill trough its centre and then using the extractor. which is like a left handed tap, you have to work it into the then drilled hole and the teeth cut into it, eventually it will grip it enough and spin it out backwards

Problem Solved!!!

I took the thermostat housing cover back off and managed to UNSCREW the STUD using a pair of pliers. I can't believe it was this easy. I got a replacement 6 mm BOLT from a kindly mechanic, and put that in place of the stud. Worked like a charm. Thanks for all your help; and just to recap....

1993 Toyota Corolla DX (1.8L)

Thermostat Housing Stud will unscrew from the block

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links