Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1st Gear Probs

Nicki

Hey, I really hope someone helps me out. I just changed my Toyota Tercel from an automatic to a manual gearbox. Everything is toyota original and brand new. At first everything seemed ok but then after the engine heats up a bit, it becomes impossible to start moving on 1st gear without huge vibrations on the engine. I thought the diesel pump was too low but its not it, or the idle speed.

It does this only when the engine becomes warm. On a cold start the clutch and 1st gear work normally and no vibrations at all. Strange huh! Could it be an oil prob? When the engine is warm I can only avoid the vibrations by going out hard (release the clutch quite fast and giving it more gas)

Pls any ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Sounds like you have a bad case of clutch judder when the engine's hot.

Assuming the Clutch has been fitted correctly(center plate the right way round) and no excessive run-out on the flywheel :-

clutch.jpg

When you changed the Auto.for the manual box,did you fit the spigot bearing to the end of the crankshaft/flywheel ??

On the Automatics - the torque convertor is mounted to the Flex plate,which in turn

is bolted directly to the crankshaft.

On the Manual box, the Flywheel is bolted to the crankshaft and the Input shaft of the gearbox needs to be supported by the Spigot Bearing in the end of the crankshaft/flywheel.

If the Spigot bearing is missing you will get severe judder and eventual wear to Input shaft and bearings.

SPIGOTBEARING.jpg

Dont think it would be oil contamination on the clutch center plate as you would get

clutch slip under load as well as the Clutch judder on release.

Hey dude, tnx a lot for your reply. I'm not sure the bearing is there or not actually. For now the vibrations have stopped (amazing huh!). I think it may be the clutch plate needed to 'fit in'. If the vibrations start again I will surely take your advice and check the spigot bearing. Again thanks loads!

If the vibrations have stopped - the spigot bearing is there - may just be

the Clutch center plate "bedding in"

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links