Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Twin Engine Ae82

kingdeacon

hi, right i have a ae82. spent last year doing it up, cutting out the rust, new fuel lines brake lines, new brakes, stripped out carpets back seats sound profing ect. and its a cool car. now i want to take on a bigger project using this car, i have all the bits from a mrk1 mr2, engine, gearbox ecu, ect. and for months now i have been working out if i can put it all in the back of my corolla gt! while keeping the front engine. all problems that i have thought of so far i can get around, just wondered if anyone on here could think of big reason why it would not work?

I like the idea of having 3.2L 32valve quad cam 4wd, while keeping under 1100kgs. and if it worked i could some day use the 20v 4age or 4agze!! now that would be mad

rob

can be done if you have the skill/money. there are a lot of problems with twin engined setups IE getting both transmissions to shift in sync engines to rev together.

have spoken to the guy who runs the twin engined nova (hail mary, hail mary) and he said he would rather have built it with one engine with 700bhp and 4wd than two 350bhp engines.

it is an idea i have toyed with for a while but think ill just eventualy stick 4wd running gear in.

things youll have to look at (other than the 2 already mentioned) are cooling (2 engines to cool) fuel tank (where will it go) and getting the thing insured if you want it as a road car

can be done if you have the skill/money. there are a lot of problems with twin engined setups IE getting both transmissions to shift in sync engines to rev together.

have spoken to the guy who runs the twin engined nova (hail mary, hail mary) and he said he would rather have built it with one engine with 700bhp and 4wd than two 350bhp engines.

it is an idea i have toyed with for a while but think ill just eventualy stick 4wd running gear in.

things youll have to look at (other than the 2 already mentioned) are cooling (2 engines to cool) fuel tank (where will it go) and getting the thing insured if you want it as a road car

dont see any of the above being hard to get round really with time and effort, all of which i have looked in to already and on paper solved, as any project once i start doing it i'm sure there is lots of probs that come up, but that is part of the fun getting round them i think. as for one engine v 2 i'm not saying it will be better but just different. on the up side 2 engines, gearboxs, clutches ect will be under less load and stress due to low weight and both helping each other, so i think it might be better a launching off the line, fensports corolla done a gearbox on 5th gear, and i bet thats not the first time. i surpose you colud say there is twice as many bits to break but dont think it will end up that way due to the lower load on both sets of running gear. there is no complex 4wd system to go wrong or props just 2 fwd gear boxes that in my car so far is hard as nails. the only probs i can see my self at the mo is how it will go round corners, but then both ends will have diffs so should be fine.

I always see this kinda project/ideas pants tbh! Way way too much work, when you might aswell go out and buy a R32 skyline for £6k, which would handle and go alot better as thats how they were designed!

If i was you, i would strip the AE82 out and get it weighing around 700kg and make a full race N/A 4AGE pulling out 200bhp! (and more if wanted)

That would give you a power to weight ratio of 286 per tonne!

Where as if you had 2 4AGE's pulling 120 a piece and a car weighing 1100kg, (which i think is optomistic, considering the strengthening you will have to do to the shell) that would mean 240bhp.

And a power to weight ratio of only 218bhp per tonne!

Plus it would make the AE82 handle like a heap of poo!

I always see this kinda project/ideas pants tbh! Way way too much work, when you might aswell go out and buy a R32 skyline for £6k, which would handle and go alot better as thats how they were designed!

If i was you, i would strip the AE82 out and get it weighing around 700kg and make a full race N/A 4AGE pulling out 200bhp! (and more if wanted)

That would give you a power to weight ratio of 286 per tonne!

Where as if you had 2 4AGE's pulling 120 a piece and a car weighing 1100kg, (which i think is optomistic, considering the strengthening you will have to do to the shell) that would mean 240bhp.

And a power to weight ratio of only 218bhp per tonne!

Plus it would make the AE82 handle like a heap of poo!

I'd go with Treuno :thumbsup:

Although a twin engined AE82 would be cool, a lightened AE82 with a single engine with decent power is bound to give better results :D

Why not lighten it and go 4AGZE :drool:

Mike

See im with Andy,U want hardcore power,then 3SGTE it and go all out... banging a lump in the rear just gonna mess with the handling.

If i had the money to do PROJECT like this,AND I WILL... id supercharge it !

Its gotta be the easiest and cheapest way...

BoB

See im with Andy,U want hardcore power,then 3SGTE it and go all out... banging a lump in the rear just gonna mess with the handling.

If i had the money to do  PROJECT like this,AND I WILL... id supercharge it !

Its gotta be the easiest and cheapest way...

BoB

Forced induction is boring and too easy power! Plus they sound pants!

Keep it N/A and 4AGE! Them engines have seen 240bhp, and the noise of them when on cam and the throttle bodies singing away at 9000rpm+ is like christmas!

Forced induction is boring and too easy power! Plus they sound pants!

Keep it N/A and 4AGE! Them engines have seen 240bhp, and the noise of them when on cam and the throttle bodies singing away at 9000rpm+ is like christmas!

:drool: Now that sounds more like it Treuno.

I got all my parts now the quad throttle body have arrived :drool:

Head is almost all polished and ported and pistons and rods are away getting adjusted

nothing like that roar!

i dont know the sound of a turbo coming on boost and the dump and flutter would challenge it. plus ill soon have the advantage of an external wastegate and screemer, should sound like hell itself

Oriracer: Are you gonna be running the ITB's (individual throttle bodies) off of the 20v 4AGE like mine? You got some from a black or silver top?

Dawesy: Dude, i do have alot of respect for you and your car, but no turbo car can ever sound half as good as a N/A screamer!

For example, just go and listen to some 70's rally vids with the more than sexual roar of the BDA and BDG's! Nothing in the world is better than the note coming from the weber 50's! :D

Oriracer: Are you gonna be running the ITB's (individual throttle bodies) off of the 20v 4AGE like mine? You got some from a black or silver top?

Dawesy: Dude, i do have alot of respect for you and your car, but no turbo car can ever sound half as good as a N/A screamer!

For example, just go and listen to some 70's rally vids with the more than sexual roar of the BDA and BDG's! Nothing in the world is better than the note coming from the weber 50's! :D

There only going on the 16v non-tivs head since there wasn't very much information on doing a 20v 7age conversion. But will still sound and move great :thumbsup:

Any idea if the 16v ecu will drive the throttle bodys, I'm prepared to get a motec but if I could get away with the std ecu just now that would save a few £ just now.

There only going on the 16v non-tivs head since there wasn't very much information on doing a 20v 7age conversion. But will still sound and move great :thumbsup:

Any idea if the 16v ecu will drive the throttle bodys, I'm prepared to get a motec but if I could get away with the std ecu just now that would save a few £ just now.

im pretty sure the itbs will not work without the 20v ecu.

im pretty sure the itbs will not work without the 20v ecu.

crap looks like its a motec then :crybaby: that i'll break the bank.

No it defo wont run on the 16v ECU!

I run my 20v off an Omex management system! Its the muts nuts tbh! :)

And being completely mappable via lap top you can do all sorts of funny's! e.g. inject a excess of fuel in at a any RPM on the over run so BIG flames come out of the pipe! haha

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links