Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E12 Corolla "strange Feature"

KevT3

Hi all,

I have discovered a very strange thing of the steering of my e12 corolla. I wonder whether it's common to all of yours.

When I turn my wheel to the extreme left and extreme right, if I keep pushing either side and stay there, i found that the rev would be draged... as if there is something dragging the engine...!?

You could try it at night with the headlights on, you can see clearly that, if you do what I said, the headlight will dim quite significantly...

Anyone can explain why that is please? Also, when I turn to the extreme left position and try to move the car a little bit forward, i can feel some "grining" feeling through the steering wheel, what does that mean?

Kevin

Hi all,

I have discovered a very strange thing of the steering of my e12 corolla. I wonder whether it's common to all of yours.

When I turn my wheel to the extreme left and extreme right, if I keep pushing either side and stay there, i found that the rev would be draged... as if there is something dragging the engine...!?

You could try it at night with the headlights on, you can see clearly that, if you do what I said, the headlight will dim quite significantly...

Anyone can explain why that is please? Also, when I turn to the extreme left position and try to move the car a little bit forward, i can feel some "grining" feeling through the steering wheel, what does that mean?

Kevin

Power steering runs off the engine....so therefore takes power from it :hokus-pokus:

Hi all,

Kevin

Power steering runs off the engine....so therefore takes power from it :hokus-pokus:

But it only happens when you stay on the extreme sides... Why doesn't it dim the light during the turn?

Kev :huh:

the revs will drop as soon as you turn the wheel the slightest...and you should never leave power steering on full lock for more than 10-15 seconds!

guys sorry to interupt...

the e12 corolla unlike its predecesors has electric power steering (not hydaulic).

Dear kevt3. our steering wheels are working with electrical power Therefore every time you steer you consume power. The highest power consumed is when you reach the end, trying to steer more...

Then the electric sensors sense that you want to steer, they engage the electric motor but there is no more available since you reached the end.

electrical power consumed = power taken from the engine

guys sorry to interupt...

the e12 corolla unlike its predecesors has electric power steering (not hydaulic).

Dear kevt3. our steering wheels are working with electrical power Therefore every time you steer you consume power. The highest power consumed is when you reach the end, trying to steer more...

Then the electric sensors sense that you want to steer, they engage the electric motor but there is no more available since you reached the end.

electrical power consumed = power taken from the engine

Thanks for your info ckapodistrias,

Have you got any ideas why I hear some slipping noise when I turned to the full lock left but not right? :thumbsup:

Kev

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links