Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help With Stereo

Neil Clark

I will be gettin a aftermarket cd player with boot changer to replace standard tape player. The cars got the sub built in and what seems like loads of Speakers. Do i need owt special? will all normal good quality cd players work?

Cheers

Neil ;)

If you have the sub and a load of Speakers you'll more than likely have the active speaker setup in the car, to install an after market CD player and changer you will need an adapter for it at Halfords, unfortunately I don't have the part number to hand...

Or.... You could wire in the stereo yourself. You'll need a head unit with preouts - since the Active speaker system consists of a couple of in built amplifiers. Feeding an amplified output into an amplifier will result in distortion. For best results you want four preouts, FR FL RR RL = Front Right, Front Left, Rear Right, Rear Left. Once you have this, wire it up followeing this wiring diagram from my website (note the system in the diagram has two woofers aka later models but wiring should be the same):

http://www.overtyre.co.uk/MR2/MR2%20Stereo.jpeg

Looks a bit complicated!!!, might just get thing from Halfords!!, it work ok? whats it called? roughly how much?

Many thanks

Neil

It's basically an audio adapter found by the stereo';s in most Halfords, I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can find the part number and price for you as we have a Halfords pretty much next door, drop me a PM in the morning so I don't forget, well before 12 anyways...

Many many thanks pal, ok how do i PM? lol

Will try and work out lol

Cheers again, everyones soooo helpful

Neil :D

Below my posts on the bottom left hand side is a button which say PM, hit that, enter a subject line same as an email and then type away, when complete, just hit send :D

Getting the dash of is easy....

I'll put a howto together in workshop submissions, will be up in a minute, it should take you no longer than 5 mins to get the dhas off....

heres how to remove dash to get stereo out, i downloaded a video clip the other day to help me do it (but im not at home at mo to send u link - i will later if u like - pm me).

1. pull gear lever gaiter(plastic surround) out of the centre console (carefully) and movebackwards (out of the way).

2. take out ashtray (just pulls) and undo 2 screws holding dash front plate (the bit u need to remove).

3. undo the single screw to the left hand side of steering wheel, slightly underneath.

4. gently pull away the front surround making sure u disconnect the hazard warning light switch (quite easy), and move the steering wheel adjuster arm (if u have one) to enable the surround to come off easier.

5. The original stereo and that little storage hole underneath it are connected to a bracket at either side of themselves. undo the 2 screws holding the bracket into the dash area and pull the stereo out (disconnecting the plug and aerial/s at the back).

6. undo the bracket screws holding the stereo and storage item together and put ur new stereo in (attaching it back to the storage thingy.

7. the wiring if japanese is and ***** (this is where i got a pro to do the work) if uk probably have no probs.

hope this helps :-)

LOL I forgot to post it this afternoon after going to Halfords at lunch sorry...

Part Numbers as follows...

MR2 without Active:

90 - 99 = PC2-17-4

MR2 with Active:

90-94 = PC9-406

94-99 = PC9-411 (would guess late 94)

All cost around £12

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my husband today working on putting a stereo into my two today.. Got the "generic" adapter that plugs into the harness AFTER the main amp. In using this, we would be bypassing the inputs to the subwoofer amp correct?? Basically we have to run our own wiring from the new Alpine CD player, directly into the speaker lines, using the connector, we would not be cutting any wiring but just adding our own to it..

In doing this, has anyone been able to retain the stock subwoofer operation?? Reading the "Big Green Book" it appears that the sub amp picks up its input before the signal reaches the "main" amp for the other Speakers. What exactly would I have to do, to run the sub "in stock fashion" but run the "door" Speakers off the new deck??

I just used the adapter mentioned earlier, plugs in and all the Speakers work. Had to cut the amp signal wire and re-connect it at stereo but all works fine now

Neil

So running excessive power into the adapter from Halfords, doesnt hurt the stock amp?? That doesnt make sense. It would be great to utilize all the wiring that is already there, although removing the main amp, to use the cleaner more powerful amp in the shiny new Alpine deck to run the front and rear Speakers, while still utilizing some of the stock wiring, to drive the sub amp, and make sure it works too would be great.

Or.... You could wire in the stereo yourself. You'll need a head unit with preouts - since the Active speaker system consists of a couple of in built amplifiers. Feeding an amplified output into an amplifier will result in distortion. For best results you want four preouts, FR FL RR RL = Front Right, Front Left, Rear Right, Rear Left. Once you have this, wire it up followeing this wiring diagram from my website (note the system in the diagram has two woofers aka later models but wiring should be the same):

http://www.overtyre.co.uk/MR2/MR2%20Stereo.jpeg

And I understand by doing this, that you are basically throwing money away.. Spending money on a higher quality head unit, and not using the built in amp in it, and using the stock amps?? :ffs: Otherwise.. I'll figure something out, perhaps buy my own amplifier and run drive the sub myself..

Well.. I honestly hope those adaptors reduce the amount of power going to the amps.. Otherwise.. Today, my new head unit is installed.. My husband purchaced a small 100 aftermarket amp, and ran that directly to the stock sub.. Sounds ok, although it now has a bit much power and will distort at higher volumes.. Ran new wiring to all door / side panel Speakers..

What a difference.. Im glad I went through the trouble.. It was a long involved task.. (About 5 hours), although, everything is hidden out of sight, and the only the headunit is visible.. Im soooo happy.. Tips and hints on running your own wiring.. Ask the husband, he now knows..

you can buy adapters from halfords which use the active sound amps....

As you say it would be a waste of money not to use it

And really what I was trying to say, is the money you spent on the new head unit, would be wasted, as too sound quality and power would essentailly be limited too what Toyota put in your car.. Seeing as how using those to power the Speakers, whatever "color" they put into the sound, isnt going to be cleared up by a head unit.. Otherwise.. Im glad Im not wasting the money I spent on my Alpine.. It sounds wonderful.. Perhaps in a few months, it will be time to get some good Speakers..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links