Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 1.4 D-4d M-mt

Cory M-MT

Hi, I'm an italian enthusiastic driver of the new Corolla 1.4 D-4D M-MT (manual multi transimission) since 6 months. In the italian T.O.C. there is a great debate just on te manual-multi transmission and the better way to use it, especially during the frequent stop and go in town, or during a stop at a traffic lights.

The problem is: for a stop of about 2-3 minutes, is necessary to move the gear lever on NEUTRAL (I think so!) to avoid problems (overheating) at the clutch, or, is possible to stay with the foot brake pressed (clutch inserted), and the first gear on?

The italian version of the Corolla M-MT's handbook is not very clear about this point. Is there here anyone that can help us? Is there any M-MT's owner? I would like to write about this problem, if it's possible.

Thank's, and........sorry for my bad english language!! :lol:

See you soon. Bye

:o

It's incredible! Is it possible that no one in T.O.C. has the Corolla M-MT? I would like to know if someone has this model in Gb!!!! It was presented about 1 years ago.

In Italy the 1.4D-4D M-MT is a very successful model, especially for its particular gear.

Can you help me for the question that I presented yesterday? :help:

Thank you very much.

Bye bye

:help::help::help:

:o

It's incredible! Is it possible that no one in T.O.C. has the Corolla M-MT? I would like to know if  someone has this model in Gb!!!! It was presented about 1 years ago.

In Italy the 1.4D-4D M-MT is a very successful model, especially for its particular gear.

Can you help me for the question that I presented yesterday?  :help:

Thank you very much.

Bye bye

:help:  :help:  :help:

Yeah,sadly it is..I work for a Toyota dealer and most of the MMT corollas we sell have come back or are booked in with some problem with the transmission..

Dont fink there many oners with MMT corolla's around here..

hi :) ,what do you think about this engine and the mmt -transmission.is the acceleration good.i drove one corolla 1.4d4d and it goes well,but not after3500rpm :crybaby: .maybe i'm not used to drive diesel cars.i have corolla 1.4 petrol and it's much more dynamic :D ./sorry for my bad english/ :!Removed!:

Its not a Corolla, but Red Yaris 54 has an MMT Yaris - I think he's the only guy with one - you could PM him and see if he can help with your questions!

Thanks Em,

I got a PM from Cory MM-T and replied :thumbsup:

(Red Yaris 54 goes to Europe.............Wahey :P :D.............even more fame :ph34r: B) )

Especially for the Italian members that may read this:

Bonjourno!

I have owned a Yaris MMT with approx 25000km on the clock since September 2004 and have not had any problems with the MMT transmission.

My Yaris handbook tells me that I can leave my foot on the brake when stopped for long periods.....but when I stop at traffic lights I usually put the gear into neutral and put my handbrake on to prevent dazzeling the drivers behind me. (In England some drivers get upset :ffs: at traffic lights if you sit with your brake light on for a long time)

I do not know of any problems with the MMT box and do not find that it is fragile or weak.

I really believe that one day all or most small cars will use this type of transmission as it is very easy to drive both in town and in open roads.

I dont think that there are any U.K. Corolla MMT owners on these forums.

Hope that the above reassures all Italian MMT owners that their cars should not give them problems................................unless the Italian way of driving is much harsher on the machinery than the British?

I would be interested to hear if any of you do get any major problems with your MMT boxes :thumbsup: :group-cuddles:

I want to thanks everybody answered to my question about M-MT gear: expecially, Demonic Angel,European bob e Red Yaris 54.

I can say that until today (after 6 months and 6.000 Km.) I'm enthusiastic of Corolla 1.4 D M-MT: it's a very good car (not expensive),comfortable, quite powerful (not 90 H.P.,as Toyota brochures say, but,exactly 99,6 H.P., measured at test stend), with a good pick-up and a good maximum speed (176,2 Km/h), a beautiful gear, and a minimum consumption of fuel.

I think the 1.4 D-4D M-MT is better than 1.4 Vti 16 Valves (petrol) and 97 H.P.

I bought the manual transmission version 1.4 D-4D and agree that it is a nice nippy car, though no sports car. I test drove the MMT version but didn't like it's timing regards gear changes though that may have been because it was in economy mode.

Hi Cory MMT!

My dads got a 1.4 D4d with the MMT gear box!

He said the MMT gear box is very smart, but he perfers to drive it with the manual mode cause its more smoother, less choking!

Hi, I'm an italian enthusiastic driver of the new Corolla 1.4 D-4D M-MT (manual multi transimission) since 6 months. In the italian T.O.C. there is a great debate just on te manual-multi transmission and the better way to use it, especially during the frequent stop and go in town, or during a stop at a traffic lights.

The problem is: for a stop of about 2-3 minutes, is necessary to move the gear lever on NEUTRAL (I think so!) to avoid problems (overheating) at the clutch, or, is possible to stay with the foot brake pressed (clutch inserted), and the first gear on?

The italian version of the Corolla M-MT's handbook is not very clear about this point. Is there here anyone that can help us? Is there any M-MT's owner? I would like to write about this problem, if it's possible.

Thank's, and........sorry for my bad english language!!  :lol:

See you soon. Bye

yes, its the best to move the gear to N so that the clutch doesnt overheat and if it does you will get a beeping tone as stated in the handbook.

If you do get the tone just stop at the side of the road in N, so the clutch can cool down

Any more help just ask, ill do my best to. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello I am in Portugal and have had the 1.4D4D MMT for nearly a year. It has been faultless with truly remarkable economy and a pleasure to drive.

I had a ZX auto diesel before and I always moved into neutral at traffic lights.

On the MMT box this is obviously good practice to avoid wear on the thrust bearing.

The one thing I have failed to ascertain is why the brake pedal can be slowly pressed to the floor when first getting into the car without the engine running and also when stopped with the engine running.

This is contrary to anything I have read about brakes but it would seem this is normal and not a fault. Does anybody know how these brakes work?

When I first noticed this I took the car to a Toyota service dealer who at first said not normal but when he checked with two other new Corollas he ascertained that they were the same and after a lengthy telephone call to the main importer he said that this was normal.

I subsequently received a confirmatory e-mail stating that this was normal.

I have no complaints about the performance of the brakes but like to know how things work.

Geriatric

Hi Cory MMT!

My dads got a 1.4 D4d with the MMT gear box!

He said the MMT gear box is very smart, but he perfers to drive it with the manual mode cause its more smoother, less choking!

Thank's, and........sorry for my bad english language!!  :lol:

See you soon. Bye

yes, its the best to move the gear to N so that the clutch doesnt overheat and if it does you will get a beeping tone as stated in the handbook.

If you do get the tone just stop at the side of the road in N, so the clutch can cool down

Any more help just ask, ill do my best to. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Thank's, and........sorry for my bad english language!! :lol:

See you soon. Bye

Buongiorno, il Suo inglese è molto migliore del mio italiano. Io ho una Corolla 1.4D D-4D il modello di MMT. Io ero anche un poco confuse inizialmente col gearbox. Io preferisco guidare in " maniera di manuale " ma in città io uso la " maniera automobilistica " se il traffico è fermare-cominci. Io misi la macchina in neutrale di solito se fermando per un ie del periodo prolungato: più di 30 secondi ed io pensiamo quello sarà raccomandato come con alcun tipo di gearbox. Quando fermando per un ie del periodo più corto: dieci secondi io uso il handbrake che sembra disimpegnare il gruppo in alcuna maniera. La speranza che questo aiuta. Saluti.

• 3 weeks later...

I also have an mmt d4d. I don't think that the clutch can really overheat as if you step on the brake at a light the gear operates like you have pressed the clutch pedal so there is no reason it would overheat (have never heard of overheating on manul gears because of keeping the clutch pressed for a long time). If you get used to it you can easily get it change gears when you want it with the use of the accelerator. I think most of the problems with the mmt box occur because of misuse. You have to be more careful with an mmt than with a normal auto box.

• 8 months later...

Especially for the Italian members that may read this:

Bonjourno!

I have owned a Yaris MMT with approx 25000km on the clock since September 2004 and have not had any problems with the MMT transmission.

My Yaris handbook tells me that I can leave my foot on the brake when stopped for long periods.....but when I stop at traffic lights I usually put the gear into neutral and put my handbrake on to prevent dazzeling the drivers behind me. (In England some drivers get upset :ffs: at traffic lights if you sit with your brake light on for a long time)

I do not know of any problems with the MMT box and do not find that it is fragile or weak.

I really believe that one day all or most small cars will use this type of transmission as it is very easy to drive both in town and in open roads.

I dont think that there are any U.K. Corolla MMT owners on these forums.

Hope that the above reassures all Italian MMT owners that their cars should not give them problems................................unless the Italian way of driving is much harsher on the machinery than the British?

I would be interested to hear if any of you do get any major problems with your MMT boxes :thumbsup: :group-cuddles:

I believe Buongiorno is the correct spelling, so Buongiorno a tutti. I have a Corolla 1.4 D-4D MMT Registered 4/05 with 12.5k miles on the clock. It is probably the best car I have ever owned and I was glad to get rid of my last BMW - what a rip off! My Corolla has done 66mpg Calais - Luxembourg this year, it did 60.6 mpg on a 3000 mile trip around Italy also this year and routinely averages 56mpg in mixed driving. I test drove this car because I liked the price, economy and looks but I was convinced I wouldn't like it because I was convinced that I could not go back to a 1.4 after a BMW 330d. What a mistake! This car has an amazing amount of power and torque for such a small engine, I don't know how they do it. In the time I have owned it there has not been a hiccup and I love the MMT gearbox because it can be used as a manual when one wants but as an auto in town when there is a lot of traffic. If I had one complaint it would be that I would prefer the MMT to change into first gear at 1 mph rather than 5mph. I shall keep it until the warranty runs out and then probably buy an Auris 1.4 D-4D MMT if I can get used to the funky looks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links