Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2006 Yaris (canada) Impressions

ironwrench

After about 600 km with my 2006 (Canadian market) Yaris LE 1.5 l automatic, I can say that I am happy with the car. I don't have a lot of experience with cars of this size, but offer a few comments.

The engine is very responsive - 1st gear is perhaps even too low - the car jumps frighteningly to life if you jab the accelerator down only part way. The electric assisted power steering is the thing that will take the most getting used to. Feedback from the road to the driver is almost non-existent. I am tempted to pull the fuse for the assist and try it that way (perhaps it needs an on/off switch so that it can be brought back into play for parking ;).

I am not happy with the cockpit layout. The primary instrument display in the centre dash is OK, but at night, I find that if I turn down the lighting intensity to avoid glare, the heater ant gearshift position lighting is much too low. In addition, the blue high beam indicator is like a blue spotlight shining in your eyes. A piece of tape over this should fix it. I'm wondering whether I will be able to put a resistor in the circuit to the main inst lights to dim them while leaving the heating/trans lighting at a visible level.

In winter, days are short and a lot of driving tends to be done in darkness. This is when the heater/defrost/vent system is vital to safe operation of the vehicle. Therefore, heater/vent controls must be easy to reach, easy to see and easy to set while driving in the dark. This Yaris fails badly here. They are too low! The driver's attention is diverted from the road too long while making adjustments. And with the numb feel of the steering, you are not aware of the car wandering while eyes are on these controls. They should be arranged horizontally below the radio (and the radio moved up to displace the heater vents which should go on either side of the radio) where they are easy to reach and can be seen while the road is still within the driver’s field of peripheral vision.

The gearshift display is even worse. It is so low and hidden by the driver's right arm in driving position, that it diverts attention from the road even more than the heater controls. A heads up display (something in the driver's field of view) is really needed here.

I hope someone from the Toyota/Yaris design office sees this.

Did you not test drive the car before you bought it?

If you did test drive it, I am suprised that you bought a car that you have criticised so much in your post on the TOC :rolleyes:

Anyway, welcome to TOC

In winter, days are short and a lot of driving tends to be done in darkness.  This is when the heater/defrost/vent system is vital to safe operation of the vehicle.  Therefore, heater/vent controls must be easy to reach, easy to see and easy to set while driving in the dark.  This Yaris fails badly here.  They are too low!  The driver's attention is diverted from the road too long while making adjustments.  And with the numb feel of the steering, you are not aware of the car wandering while eyes are on these controls.  They should be arranged horizontally below the radio (and the radio moved up to displace the heater vents which should go on either side of the radio) where they are easy to reach and can be seen while the road is still within the driver’s field of peripheral vision.

I agree that they need to be easy to reach, easy to see and set - the current Yaris seems to have got that sorted as I have no problems with it on either phase.

Glad to hear you are otherwise happy with the car tho :thumbsup:

I have none of those complaints with my new 2006 Yaris RS (5 spd), the controls and lighting seem quite intuitive...To be honest they seem like minor quibbles...

I also own a previous generation 2005 Echo Hatch CE base model, and used to have a 2004 Echo Hatch RS as well...

Why in an automatic, once the car is in "D", would your eyes be diverted from the road while the car is moving? Are you shifting the automatic transmission while moving? (we don't have CVT)

Did you not test drive the car before you bought it?

If you did test drive it,  I am suprised that you bought a car that you have criticised so much in your post on the TOC :rolleyes:

Anyway, welcome to TOC

Test drove it in the daylight in clear weather.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the car, but there are always things that could have been done a lot better. I suspect my comments would be a lot longer and more bitter had I brought a Suziki of Hyundia home.

After a while, I hope I will get used to its quirks and be a happy Yaris owner.

See you on the road, maybe (I'm over in Killarney).

Happy Yarising.

Any ideas on roof racks? Bic perhaps?

Haven't looked into racks at all, but eventually will be looking for one (inside space being so limited, a rack is a must) ;)

Not sure I'll get that far in my Yaris - I'm in the Laurentians North of Montreal and Ottawa :)

Happy Yarising.

I have none of those complaints with my new 2006 Yaris RS (5 spd), the controls and lighting seem quite intuitive...To be honest they seem like minor quibbles...

[

I also own a previous generation 2005 Echo Hatch CE base model, and used to have a 2004 Echo Hatch RS as well...

Why in an automatic, once the car is in "D", would your eyes be diverted from the road while the car is moving? Are you shifting the automatic transmission while moving? (we don't have CVT)

COLOR=red]

Intuitive perhaps for someone who has been driving an Echo for a few years

I use the gearshift lots moving or standing still.

Eventually I will get used to the quirky gearshift gate system, but in the meantime,

Am I in N or R

Am I in N or D

Am I in 2 or 3 (when engine braking)

If this information isn't important, then why do many other cars have it displayed up front on the instrument display?

Not sure I'll get that far in my Yaris - I'm in the Laurentians North of Montreal and Ottawa :)

Happy Yarising.

Well too bad. I like that country, having spent time at St Jovite for the F1 in my wild and crazy youth. I recall having seen/smelt the Cooper S's swarming around that track like bees and running with the BIG DOGs in the same pre-F1 races; handicapped, of course.

You did know your Yaris was styled in Nice, France, (where the wife and I spent part of our honeymoon)? Do your part for our nation and bring this fact home to our much-beloved French Canadians.

May the Yaris, like many French cars before it, bring back that lovin' feeling.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links