Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dashboard Not Lighting

BigRiz

Hi,

I recently bought a Japan Vitz. Everything was fine except the radio which only received Japanese frequencies. So last week I bought a band expander and connected it. I connected the red wire with the +12V supply, and connected the black to a wrong wire. That wrong wire was in fact grounded and I thought I should use it, but the diagrams I found yesterday have got a "DO NOT USE" written on that pin. To have a more clear idea, check this document: http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf

I connected the red wire with pin C (it's correct) and the black with pin J (wrong). Everything seemed to work fine, until I turned on the headlamps. Surprise! the dashboard was not lighting up, the stereo was not lighting up, the LED display was not turning dim, and the alarm was not working when I left the lights on and removed the key! It seems as if the rest of the car does not know that the headlamps are turned on. I tried removing the band expander, nothing happened, tested all the fuses, still nothing happened. I don't know what else I should do. What could have happened?

can only be a fuse somewhere i'd think

can only be a fuse somewhere i'd think

but I checked them all! At least those that I know of. I checked the fuse box that is under the steering, and another box under the hood on the right which also contains the self starter relays. Is there anything else?

is all the wiring reconnected as it should be? try find out wot fuse the illumination is on and replace it any way ive had fuses that have not quite blown but still failed to complete a circuit,

failing that test the circuit by using a common ground i.e. a bolt on the car see if it works then

is all the wiring reconnected as it should be? try find out wot fuse the illumination is on and replace it any way ive had fuses that have not quite blown but still failed to complete a circuit,

failing that test the circuit by using a common ground i.e. a bolt on the car see if it works then

I've just checked some diagrams on a repair manual and it mentions a box with 4 fuses which is referred to as "fusible link block". One of the fuses is marked as "GLOW fuse". Maybe it's that fuse that is gone? The problem is.. where is that fuse box? I can't find it anywhere!

It should be on the drivers side. In front of your right knee you should see a pull off panel the fuse box is located there.

Oh and welcome to TOC.

yeah theres the obvious 2 one under bonnet by the Battery and one below the dash, but the other you mention i havent a clue especially being japanese it may be differet to the uk one, but if someone on here has the manual (i never bought 1 because it doesnt cover the T sport whish has a different chassis) then they may be able to help you out

yeah theres the obvious 2 one under bonnet by the battery and one below the dash, but the other you mention  i havent a clue especially being japanese it may be differet to the uk one, but if someone on here has the manual (i never bought 1 because it doesnt cover the T sport whish has a different chassis) then they may be able to help you out

thanks for your help everyone. I'll just go to an electrician when I have time cos I think I've done everything I could. Is it possible that I burned a relay switch?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links