Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help!

paddyboy15

I thought i knew how to install my headunit...

Just got an Alpine CDA-9812RB and it needs to be grounded and connected to the Battery or fusebox.

How do i connect it to the fusebox? (as i have never done this)

And where is the best place behind the dash to ground it?

Did you get the autoleads connector you need to buy to install the headunit?

Theres one loom that comes with the HU and you need to buy one to connect this to the car!

When i fitted mine it only needed plugging in and no other seperate earth/fuse!

CB :thumbsup:

i've got the standard iso connector which converts the toyota setup to fit the alpine headunit, but it leaves you basically with a...

red lead = for ignition turn on.

blue/white = for amplifier remote turn on

orange = dimmer (for lower level brightness when lights are on)

pink/black audio interrupt

all of these i expected and know what to do with...

but i've got a yellow lead with 20w fuse that has to be connected "DIRECTLY TO FUSEBLOCK OR BATTERY"

and a black ground lead.

help please!!!!

This is the one i mean

ISO lead: PC2-17-4...... £12 Halfords

When i fitted mine i did not have to connect anything else just stuff that plugged in!

Are you sure the wires are not part of the yaris loom and need splicing in!

yeah, i've got that lead, it converts toyota's wiring to standard ISO fitting.

but this headunit is 4x60w power and i'm assuming that's why it needs a direct Battery supply and separate grounding. the other stuff is a doddle but i've just never encountered separate power and ground leads on a headunit before.

so, if it has to connect to the Battery i shoundn't need anything else? anyone know of a particularly good grounding near the headunit's position.

any suggestions then people. i'm kinda hoping i can fit it today. just need to know those two things...

1) Where is a good place to ground the headunit behind the dash?

2) do i need to have anything else to connect the 20amp fused wire from the headunit to the Battery?

cheers for your advice everyone!!!

Ground it at any point on the metalwork!Just make sure theres a clear connection as youll get a funny noise otherwise!

Have you done the power cable?If not just poke a screwdriver on something through the grommet in the top right hand corner of the engine bay and poke the wire through there, then pull it down from behind the dash, its quite high up though!

there's your problem, because it's a 60w it needs the extra power cable, on a few other forums people mention this, that all HU with 60w need extra power.

Splice the wires and ground the black one into the adaptor, as for the 20w connect that to the cigarette lighter

I have no Power!!!

I did as you suggested with the power wire...

armoredfist2002  Posted Today, 02:30 PM

as for the 20w connect that to the cigarette lighter

I know the adapter part is all correct as it worked in my old headunit...

I grounded the black ground wire on a bolt behind the dash which i'm pretty sure is joined to the chassis, therefore that is ok (I think).

BUT...

I connected the yellow power wire with the 20w fuse to the white and black wire from the cigarette lighter. but i have no power.

did i use the wrong wire? or does anyone know why i have no power???

Sorry to be a pain in th a**e!

The yellow wire with the 20w fuse on also has a label saying "high current, connect directly to Battery of fuseblock. do not connect behind dash"

Is connecting it to the cigarette lighter not a direct connection to the Battery?

Is that why i have no power?

I'm desperate to fit this thing tonight, please help!!!!

Thank you all!

cheers for the reply mate, dont think the wire is long enough though. is there a particular type of wire i need to use or is it the same as audio cable, i've no idea!!

Just go to halfrauds or any electrical place and get some suitable wire!

Take the HU with you if you not sure what grade it is!Youll need some connectors to join the wire together and something suitable to attach it to the Battery, you might be able to just clamp the wire down with the Battery terminal!

I think my HU is 55w and never had this trouble!

It is becoming a pain in the a**e this headunit.

So am i right in saying it is probably not working because i'm not connecting straight to the Battery?

does anyone know of a good grounding bolt behind the dash anywhere?

A good grounding point is any that is attached to the metal body of the car!Also scratch away the paint on the surface to get a better commection!

It sounds like you are right from what other people have said about 60w + needs an additional power supply!

Just take it to Halfords and when your asking for some wire ask if someone could have a quick look at it if your not 100% sure!

Thanks alot, you have been a great help!

I shall see what i can do in the morning i think now!!!

cheers again!

i'm not trying to make you sound stupid, and no one else has mentioned it, but don't forget the ignition has to be on for the radio to work.

the yellow wires on H.U's usually mean they need a constant feed.

find the fusebox, (I don't know where it is i've never had to use it)

find another fuse with 20amps in the fusebox, pull the fuse out, stick the wire in the hole and push the fuse back in and the fuse will hold the wire in and make a connection.

That is the easier way as it won't reach the Battery.

Also just double check the fuses just incase, and check to see if there are any on the H.U

You didn't say if the H.U was new or secondhand, there could also be a problem with the H.U.

the headunit is brand new, and i've definitely had the ignition on when testing!!!!

cheers for the advice tho, i'll see what i can do this morning.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links