Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T-sport Exhaust Question

ToTo_17

Hello all! :D Just have a few questions regarding the TS exhaust... I am a proud and happy owner of a 05 Yaris TS, am very happy with everything possible, except one thing. Yeah, the exhaust in my opinion is way too quiet and soft, does not even have a sporty or deep tone as some people say. I could not believe it when we purchased it... :wacko: I'm thinking about changing the rear exhaust and have already read up on earl and norm's exhaust swap in the forum. My question is that, will only changing the rear exhaust give me a much more louder, agressive and deeper sound that the current one? I don't really want to touch anything else like the manifold, cat or center piping cause that is supposed to be a TS version as well, I don't really know what that means? Can someone explain to me in details please of what type of exhaust system the TS has versus the 1.0 and 1.3 Yaris models? They told me at the dealership that the exhaust system is a sport type, but thats all they said... It does not even have a deep tone to it, duuuuh! :angry:

Oh, and with the standard exhaust, inside the tip itself there is a smaller little metal piece inside, what is that used for or is that a silencer of somekind? If I were to take that metal piece out of the tip, will the exhaust be louder?

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

ToTo

The metal piece inside the tailpipe is the actual tailpipe, the shiny bit covering it is just welded on I think! :yes:

Anyway, in another thread in this topic clarky has went over what you could do to fulfil your need for a louder exhaust! :thumbsup:

Right - I always found this confusing so here goes (if any part of it is wrong Im sure Ill be shot down in flames!)

The engine connects via a header to the mid section - the header can be replaced with a new high flow one such as the DC Sports one or Megan Racing one (Ive got the megan)

The mid section on the standard car is where the cat(s) are - this then connects up to the 'cat back section'. Many of us have either replaced the mid section with a 'decat' or gone for a sports cat. The sports cat is a high flow option that improves performance, but will still allow you to pass an MOT - the decat wont.

The cat back section is where the likes of the Blitz, Fuji or HKS options attach. Each has its own characteristics and ups and downs. Ive had the HKS on for over a year now and wouldnt change it. That said I like the sound of both the Blitz and Fuji ...

Sooooo .... if you just want more 'noise' and small gains in power I'd go for a cat back option. If however you want more power then the header and/or mid section/decat route is open. Along with the extra power you'll get a noticeable increase in volume too.

To confuse matters other suppliers like mongoose supply back box systems - these arent cat back, but instead replace the 'resonator' or noise box just behind the tail pipe. And then of course theres hundreds of different tailpipe trims that you can buy.

The tailpipe shouldnt change the noise - but there again Ive done this on other cars and it did!

Oh - the other major factor in noise is an induction system - but thats another whole story!

The metal piece inside the tailpipe is the actual tailpipe, the shiny bit covering it is just welded on I think! :yes:

Anyway, in another thread in this topic clarky has went over what you could do to fulfil your need for a louder exhaust! :thumbsup:

Thanks, I'll check it out... :thumbsup:

Right - I always found this confusing so here goes (if any part of it is wrong Im sure Ill be shot down in flames!)

The engine connects via a header to the mid section - the header can be replaced with a new high flow one such as the DC Sports one or Megan Racing one (Ive got the megan)

The mid section on the standard car is where the cat(s) are - this then connects up to the 'cat back section'. Many of us have either replaced the mid section with a 'decat' or gone for a sports cat. The sports cat is a high flow option that improves performance, but will still allow you to pass an MOT - the decat wont.

The cat back section is where the likes of the Blitz, Fuji or HKS options attach. Each has its own characteristics and ups and downs. Ive had the HKS on for over a year now and wouldnt change it. That said I like the sound of both the Blitz and Fuji ...

Sooooo .... if you just want more 'noise' and small gains in power I'd go for a cat back option. If however you want more power then the header and/or mid section/decat route is open. Along with the extra power you'll get a noticeable increase in volume too.

To confuse matters other suppliers like mongoose supply back box systems - these arent cat back, but instead replace the 'resonator' or noise box just behind the tail pipe. And then of course theres hundreds of different tailpipe trims that you can buy.

The tailpipe shouldnt change the noise - but there again Ive done this on other cars and it did!

Oh - the other major factor in noise is an induction system - but thats another whole story!

Wow, thanks a million clarky, you've been very helpful! :yes: But then why did they tell me at the dealership the Yaris T Sport already has a sporty exhaust system, when it actually does not? It's just way too quiet for me... :angry: Yeah, I really want a much more deeper tone and meaner sound than the stock exhaust now! Have you kept your piping in the mid section and just changed the cat? What size is the piping anyways, do you happen to know? The backbox is the pipe between the catbakck and tailpipe? Sorry for all the questions... Thanks a mill! :thumbsup:

The exhaust is a lot more sporty than the standard yaris one, but saying that I always thought that the SR one was nicer to start with.

No - the piping throughout my mid section has been replaced with slighty bigger diameter stainless steel. I think (might be wrong) that the standard mid pipes are 1"3/4 whereas mines is 2" 1/4.

Yeah the backbox is the big cylinder you can see behind the tailpipe - although its well tucked up under the bumper with the standard tsport one.

the std system is crap and by no means a sports system :lol: the only sporty bit is the shiney thing on the end... which goes rusty and falls off

a simply back box will give you a more meaty sound, get a custom made straight through rear box, believe me it doesnt sound daft!

Pretty soon il be changing my exhaust... im going for the HKS, so my TTE cat-back exhaust will be up for grabs. It's by no means loud on its own, but it's a marked improvement on the T-Sport one. It was standard fitment on Yaris SR's until 2002... it's a much better noise, but not sure how loud you're wanting it.

The exhaust is a lot more sporty than the standard yaris one, but saying that I always thought that the SR one was nicer to start with.

No - the piping throughout my mid section has been replaced with slighty bigger diameter stainless steel. I think (might be wrong) that the standard mid pipes are 1"3/4 whereas mines is 2" 1/4.

Yeah the backbox is the big cylinder you can see behind the tailpipe - although its well tucked up under the bumper with the standard tsport one.

Ok, now that I've got things straight... I don't really want to touch anything besides the backbox, I'd like to leave the cat, mid section with piping stock, and only swap the backbox, since I believe its a bolt on! This will make it much more easier for me to reinstall the current stock backbox in the future in case I want to sell the car or something, right? Yeah, I've checked out the backbox, its really tucked under there... :blink:

Yep - a lot of people on here have fitted their own. Its clamped to the mid section right up under the floorpan - if you get under the back of the car you can see the clamp. The rest is rubber bungs etc

If you dont want to tackle it yourself any semi decent garage should be able to do it in no time at all

the std system is crap and by no means a sports system :lol: the only sporty bit is the shiney thing on the end... which goes rusty and falls off

a simply back box will give you a more meaty sound, get a custom made straight through rear box, believe me it doesnt sound daft!

Yeah, thanks! :) This is what I'm thinking of as well, a simple bolt on backbox, I just hope it really gives me a much more deeper tone and sound than the current "sport stock" one, even though I will leave the rest of the exhaust system (manifold, cat, mid section-piping) untouchable! I've read good opinions on Fujitsubo here, but how about Sebring, Remus, Supersprint, or really a custom made one at the local exhaust-muffler shop? Here in Hungary, I have not found anyplace where I can get a Fujitsubo, but the rest of the brands are available, as well as the local shop. :o

Pretty soon il be changing my exhaust... im going for the HKS, so my TTE cat-back exhaust will be up for grabs. It's by no means loud on its own, but it's a marked improvement on the T-Sport one. It was standard fitment on Yaris SR's until 2002... it's a much better noise, but not sure how loud you're wanting it.

Well I'm looking for a much more agressive and deeper sound, which is at least noticeable... I have not heard the SR's sound. Maybe a dumb question, but SR is the older T-Sport or what?

Yep - a lot of people on here have fitted their own. Its clamped to the mid section right up under the floorpan - if you get under the back of the car you can see the clamp. The rest is rubber bungs etc

If you dont want to tackle it yourself any semi decent garage should be able to do it in no time at all

Yeah, this is the option I will be looking into, cause just like I said, only really sound is what I'm after and not really horsepower... With a simple backbox, is more horsepower attainable at all? So the backbox is only connected by a clamp, no welding?

Ok - Im pretty sure Envy will send you a fuji if you want it - depends on postage rates I guess.

The SR existed for a while before the TSport I beleive - it has a fair few TTE parts on it as standard but not as many as the TSport.

Yeah - its just clamped to the mid section - I beleive there are two typres of clamp - an oval one and an egg shaped one - depending on where your car was made (france or japan). Mines is a jap and is oval.

Hope that helps

Ok - Im pretty sure Envy will send you a fuji if you want it - depends on postage rates I guess.

The SR existed for a while before the TSport I beleive - it has a fair few TTE parts on it as standard but not as many as the TSport.

Yeah - its just clamped to the mid section - I beleive there are two typres of clamp - an oval one and an egg shaped one - depending on where your car was made (france or japan). Mines is a jap and is oval.

Hope that helps

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup: Yeah, mine is also a Japan made TS. I'll check out Envy and see what they can do. :yes:

Hope that helps

what TTE parts does the tsport have then, that the SR doesn't?

Well the wheels are TTE (dont know if the SR ones are/ BTW - I prefer the SR ones to the TSport ones)

Sideskirts and bumpers etc - I know some of the SRs had a lip spoiler but thought this was an option?

Well the wheels are TTE (dont know if the SR ones are/ BTW - I prefer the SR ones to the TSport ones)

Sideskirts and bumpers etc - I know some of the SRs had a lip spoiler but thought this was an option?

ahh! i see the bumpers are!!!! didn't know that :thumbsup: , thought they were just toyota as they are still on the tsports without the TTE spoiler!

Anything on this part guys?

Oh, and with the standard exhaust, inside the rear oval tip itself there is a smaller little oval metal piece inside, what is that used for or is that a silencer of somekind? If I were to take that metal piece out of the tip, will the exhaust be louder?

Nah - the bit inside the tip is the rear exhaust - the bit on the outside is just a cover or tail trim.

Ok, well I thought it was some kind of silencer or something and that the chrome tip was the actual exhaust, maybe because I just had a quick look at it... :eek:

basically toyota were too stingy to replace the tip properly

has anyone got just a sports cat on their t sport here? i would be interested in hearing how much louder it is than the standard, i would be after a slight sound increase.

Chuck04, Campervan and myself all have the sports cat - along with Kevin at Envy

- its a bit louder, but I reckon its the header that makes the main change in volume - not the cat. The cat is more of a change in tone.

ive heard charlies and campervans, although im unsure how much of the noise was the sports cat alone

may be interested as the tone is nicer, add to the list

Hey guys, any of you heard of a TTE exhaust system for Yaris T Sport? I have not, but one of my local dealers said that I would be able to install a Toyota TTE exhaust back box on the TS which would be much better than my current stock TS back box, deeper tone, etc... They are selling it for around 240 Pounds at the dealership. I have not heard of this, have any of you? Would it be a good choice? :blink:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links