Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina E Water Pump

rain

i am currently having problems with my radiator losing water and when i look i cant see any pools of water anywhere :(

i have been told over the phone that it is the water pump that has packed in, does anyone know how much that would cost to replace and how much time it would roughly take?

any help is much appreciated

thanks

A 'copy' water pump replacement from a Motor Factor will cost £26. This will include a new gasket and 'o' ring. These are a bit fiddly to fit but 3 hours labour is more than enough time to do the job.

The pump housing has two check holes which are designed to fail in the early stages of bearing wear. In the early stages the loss from the (probably lower hole) is negligable. If you can jack the car up you may be able to see a faint trail of dried coolant coming from the lower hole next to the water pump pulley. The coolant will run down the side of the engine block and onto the area where the oil dipstip tube enters the block. It will then run along the sump and onto the ground.

Good luck

thanks for the information there gazza.

i got the water pump fixed on thursday and all was well till saturday when i came back from walking my dog and seen oil dripping out the front grill just to the side of the number plate, i then went to open the bonnet to find oil all over the engine. i phoned my mechanic who identified the problem almost straight away and say something hadnt been put bk on right he put some sealant into it and filled it with oil again . his apprentice was working on the car but i only found that out on sat once he was looking at the car and basically admitted that it was his fault, so i am now waiting to get my car into the garage yet again to get it all cleaned up

• 3 weeks later...

i am currently having problems with my radiator losing water and when i look i cant see any pools of water anywhere :(

i have been told over the phone that it is the water pump that has packed in, does anyone know how much that would cost to replace and how much time it would roughly take?

thanks

I recently had a new pump fitted, if you look at the rear of the pump just in front of the Power steering oil reservoir you can see where the water was leaking from the gasket where the front of the water pump fits to the body, I had this replaced at the Totota main agent in Worcester who also fitted a new Timing belt as this was accessible for the fitting of the pump when I collected it I was a bit shocked it cost £320 and when I checked it out only the Impellor casing had been fitted to the old body when I went back to the workshop I was told "Thats normal practice if you wanted a complete water pump it would have cost a lot more"

So a water pump cost about a quarter of my cars value, my car, Carina E solair 1996. cheers Jim.

• 1 month later...

thanks

had mine replaced...went they finally let go, they let go! Cost me 150 to get done incl. labour

Looks like a very common problem, mine is leaking as well.

My mechanic said he will have to replace the timing belt also when replacing the water pump - Is that true ?

Also, is it ok to just keep topping it up with water/coolant in the mean time untill I get a free moment to get this repaired ?

Any suggestions , much appreciated.

Cheers !

To gain access and remove the water pump requires a fair amount of labour. The extra work involved to remove and replace the timing belt is only minimal.

Also, when the water pump is removed, coolant will leak and swamp the timing belt, which is not good. A new belt from Toyota is only £22 and the extra labour is only30 minutes (if that). If I were you I'd get them both done, especially if the belt is heading towards replacement anyway.

Yes you can top the coolant up BUT don't leave it too long!! The loss you are witnessing is due to the bearings beginning to fail. Leaving it for much longer (more than a couple of hundred miles or so) is running the risk the water pump failing altogether in which case you could be looking at serious over-heating, a blown cylinder head gasket and all the ensuing problems and costs etc.

good luck.

guys

they only fail if you fail to use proper coolant in the radiator. Use 4 life anti freeze and it will never kill a pump. no different to using a rust inhibitor in your central heating system. no coolant means no lubrication for the bearing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links