Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wiper Problems

ahmurray

Silly silly me.

Just fitted a new set of Wiper Blades which made a big difference, then the very next day I put the Rav4 through the car wash. Unfortunately the Rav is my wife's and the wiper switch is the opposite of in my beemer (down to switch on not off)

Consequently, I thought I had turned the wipers off but they were still on intermittent, and activated just as the rollers were hitting the windscreen - the wipers got tangled up in the rollers and were pulled out of position.

On inspecting the damage, the new wiper blade was bent, and when I set the wipers going, there was a horrible thump as they reached their maximum sweep.

One quick trip back to Halfords for another set, the problem is better but still present - seems I may have bent the wiper arm slightly.

This isn't too big a problem as the noise is bearable until the next service, but does anyone know if there is any adjustment I could do that might help, or is it going to mean new wiper arms/assembly?

Cheers,

Ali

Yep as stated above!

Where they attach to the shaft that they rotate around, you will see a cover. Remove it and there will be a nut that holds them onto the splined shaft. Undo the nut, but don't completely remove it. Then pull the arm up off the splined shaft a little and this will allow you to adjust the wiper where you want it. Then re-secure with the nut.

As a tip, if it's the drivers side wiper that's overtravelling past the edge of the windscreen put the wipers into their fully up position first and remove the key from the ignition to stop them there. Then you can adjust the wiper as above so it is in the right place.

To add to repairs already suggested if wiper is not hitting pillar or scuttle: stop wipers 1/2 way up screen and check if wiper rubber is at right angle to screen if too far to one side adjust by slightly twisting arm.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links