Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pinking

ripspeedtimmy

Heylo People

I was just wondering. I have recently noticed a slight pinking noise when i put my foot down, mainly when im doing around 40 mph in 4th gear and i floor it, it accelerates, but pinks, I was just wondering how to get rid of this, is it worth running it on super unleaded? or using some kind of fuel additive, it has recently had an oil change about 400 miles ago

If your doin 40 and floor it to accelerate, i wouldnt have it in 4th, try 3rd, it'll pickup much better and might reduce the pinking :thumbsup:

Get the ignition timing checked - sound like it's too far advanced. Has this happened since the timing belt change?

no its been like it for a while, i have a pipercross viper induction kit on it and a cat back exhaust, i have noticed before though that if i use superunleaded it seems to rectify the problem, but unfortunatly im not getting paid enough to afford that lol. I have noticed since the timing belt change that it picks up alot better than it used to, so id say that the timing has helped towards rectifying the problem. Is it worth changing the spark plugs, or going to see one of those mobile krypton tuning vans, there is a very good one on penarth road apparently. The plugs were changed on the 31-12-03

IF you're using Toyota's recommended plugs they should last for 60,000 miles and I doubt you've done that since December 2003. The induction and exhaust may be allowing enough extra air into the engine to cause it to run lean enough to pink but I think it's unlikely. Only way to know is to get the ignition timing set properly and take it from there.

i have done about 30,000 miles since then lol, they are NGK plugs that cost £2.80 each :S lol. Is it worth going to one of those krypton tuning mobile vans?

IF you're using Toyota's recommended plugs they should last for 60,000 miles and I doubt you've done that since December 2003. The induction and exhaust may be allowing enough extra air into the engine to cause it to run lean enough to pink but I think it's unlikely. Only way to know is to get the ignition timing set properly and take it from there.

You only change plugs on certain Toyotas every 60k due to they would run, platinum or Iridium tipped plugs! Which a 4E defo wouldnt run! On a 4E your meant to change the plugs every 18k!

To sort the pinking, change your plugs, use a decent grade fuel (doesnt have to be super unleaded) and get your ignition timing checked!

Oh and NGK plugs are the best on the market, behind nipon denso (toyotas make of plugs)

You only change plugs on certain Toyotas every 60k due to they would run, platinum or iridium tipped plugs! Which a 4E defo wouldnt run! On a 4E your meant to change the plugs every 18k!

Damn I assumed he had a 4a-fe - they are definitely recommended for that engine. :help:

Timmy,

I've the same problem on mine, it happens under heavy load in 3rd at about 35 and 4th at about 40-45. Recently i brought the car into a pre-NCT (irish version of the MOT) centre to get it checked. I told them i could hear a rattly sound under load and thought it was pinking. They reset the ECU and put the rattling down to a can of antifreeze in the boot, muppets. But for a fortnight after that check the pinking seemed to be gone, but i noticed its back again this week. maybe the engine management is 'adapting' and trying to correct some problem that isn't even there. Anyway, i don't know whether thats any help but it may be worth resetting the ecu. Not sure how this is done, maybe some of the other lads could help you on this but it could be something as simple as pulling the fuse on the ECU and replacing it, but ive never tried it myself so dont take my word for it.

I also heard that it is worth resetting the ECU, does anyone know how to do this?

No you dont need to do anything like this,

The timing needs adjusting when you next do a service,

In the Haynes manual it tells you where to set it,

cheers,

Kamran

Timmy,

I've the same problem on mine, it happens under heavy load in 3rd at about 35 and 4th at about 40-45. Recently i brought the car into a pre-NCT (irish version of the MOT) centre to get it checked. I told them i could hear a rattly sound under load and thought it was pinking. They reset the ECU and put the rattling down to a can of antifreeze in the boot, muppets. But for a fortnight after that check the pinking seemed to be gone, but i noticed its back again this week. maybe the engine management is 'adapting' and trying to correct some problem that isn't even there. Anyway, i don't know whether thats any help but it may be worth resetting the ecu. Not sure how this is done, maybe some of the other lads could help you on this but it could be something as simple as pulling the fuse on the ECU and replacing it, but ive never tried it myself so dont take my word for it.

Well your MOT garage fed you a load of crap! It is impossible to reset a Toyota ECU! And it cannot as you say 'adapt' as its not a self learning ECU either!

Timing is the only way to sort the pinking as i said earlier in this thread! Trust me i know what im on about ive worked for Toyota for almost 7 years now! :D

• 3 months later...

Hi! I've got the same pinking problem with my 94 corolla 4e-fe, but only after CORRECTING the timing! The engine wasn't pinking before, but was running a bit rich so I I checked the actual timing marks; they're all okay. Then I checked the timing with a timing strobe and check wire. It was showing that the timing is at 0 degrees tdc. The Haynes book says it should be 10 before tdc, as does the official repair manual. So when I rotate the distributor so the no.1 spark is 10 btdc, it starts pinking on acceleration/quick raise of revs. All plugs have just been replaced with new Densos and have tested injectors, tps, valve clearences, water temp sensor, added fuel additives. I'm an apprentice tech for toyota and have asked everyone in the workshop, but nothing except scratching of heads! Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, Mitch

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links