Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Elusive Siren

p.b.s

Mine is a 97 Corolla (liftback), and I've just discovered that the alarm siren has stopped working (though the lights still do the rapid flashing) - not a thing you aim to check often.

But where is the siren? I should have tried to locate it before it failed! If it was easy to get at, then I wouldn't expect anyone to want to make it easier (for thieves) by answering the question. More likely is that it's hard to find, in which case can someone offer a clue to get me started at least?

Thanks in advance,

pbs

behind the bumper usualy left hand side if its a original toyota alarm.

if you remove the front part of the wheel arch liner you shuld see it.

if its not the Lhs then look on the right

Thanks - on the left, would it be the large box resembling a reservoir? (There's nothing in the right-hand cavity) If so, does it just drop out, once unbolted? It doesn't look possible to dismantle it and investigate for the fault, though. And it must be about the least-used component on the car...

oh that doesnt sound like the siren then. thats the induction resonance box, basicaly a waste of good plastic.

should look like a normal siren. are there any unused connectors in that area?

has the siren ever worked? as not all cars had the alarm fitted just the remote lock and immobiliser

I'd better tell you more! Siren was certainly OK last year, then I noticed last week that it wasn't. Left it with local Toyota garage, they confirmed it was u/s & charged me 1/2 hr labour. I booked it in for replacement this Th, and drove off intending to find the siren first & maybe repair or replace it myself (with the one they were ordering up). Hence my first message.

In the left cavity is the box I mentioned. In the right cavity is nothing but a bracket (with loose bolts) - no connecting lead that I could see. But this must be the place. I now guess that they kept or discarded my u/s siren and that it had its own lead which plugged in who knows where - presumably well out of sight, otherwise it would be easy for someone to disable the alarm. Unless I can find the socket (or persuade the garage to point it out) I can't see much alternative to paying for another 1/2 hour (+ cost of siren, of course)...

...unless you can advise further? Thanks anyway!

Peter

IIRC the plug may be in the engine bay. have a look for plugs that dont seem to connect to any thing. if you look inside them you can tell if they have always been uncconected(dirty) or connected recently (clean).

you can always get the siren and look at the plug on it. most plugs are unique so should help identification.

does sound like they left it off though

You were close - the plug/socket is actually in the furthest corner of the wheel-arch front cavity. I can just lay a finger-tip on it, that's all. How the garage succeeded in disconnecting the old siren I have no idea! And they are welcome to the job of connecting the new one, I've decided.

Lessons learned: test the siren occasionally - and if it has failed, consider leaving it that way.

Thanks again,

Peter

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links