Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Eta On Tns300 ?

davidm

Just a quick question.

Last time I took my TSpirit in for its service, it's a 53 reg, I noticed a poster advertising ETA (Electronic Traffic Avoidance). The background of the poster had the full colour Sat Nav TNS300.

I have the TNS300 installed.

Does the TNS300 now supprt ETA ?

If so, is it only on new versions of it, or can all TNS300s now support ETA ?

I asked the sales people and they said that it did. When I told them that this was new as the TNS300 used not to, they then said that they did not know and that I should ask the service desk people. I asked at the service desk. They asked for my license plate number and then came back and said that that option was not available for my car.

So is this a case of the marketing people thinking that a colour Sat Nav looked better on the poster than a monochrome one or has the TNS300 system changed ?

I have the TNS300 with ETA fitted to my Rav4.........................if the ETA is fitted you see TMS displayed on your sat nav screen. The benefit is great if you regular traval distances on motorway routes, the system will warn you of traffic problems and offer you a re route :D

The ETA is a small add on box on the side of the TNS300 unit, this picks up DAB radio signals on the classic FM frequency in digital format. The system then displays the traffic problem on your route. i.e M25 J4 long delays :help:

Actually it picks up RDS not DAB. This is a side carrier on Classic FM. The small add on box is an FM receiver. To get ETA you need this receiver and a disk with something called TMC codes stitched onto the navigation map.

From memory the full colour systems did not have this add on but all TNS200 from 2001 did and all b&w TNS300 do.

BTW my new Prius TSpirit has Full colour sat nav but not ETA they said it was available at an extra cost, but I am not so sure. There is no wiring to neatly fit in the receiver, hence major rewire.

My gut feeling is that we are better off with a Tom Tom or such like, then we can change routes etc on the move.... the Nanny state bit of only changes when the vehicle is stationary really p,,ses me off!

Hope this helps

BTW my new Prius TSpirit has Full colour sat nav but not ETA they said it was available at an extra cost, but I am not so sure. There is no wiring to neatly fit in the receiver, hence major rewire.

Fitting the ETA box is simple enough. It comes with a small sub harness which plugs into the TNS box and provides an extra tail for the ETA box. Then there is an antenna lead which has to be routed back to the front of the car, up the A pillar and over the headlining to a point behind the mirrorwhere it attaches to a self adhesive aerial which is stuck to the inside top of the screen. Full fitting instructions can be found on the Toyota AIM page here: http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/aim_Searc...0&strAccGroup=0

so can all full colour TNS300s now support ETA if the addon device is installed ?

If so, when did this change, as it used to be that the full colour TNS300 could not receive it ?

Is it that there is now a newer version of the TNS300 and that my version (53 Reg) cannot have the ETA FM receiver fitted ?

Just wondering,

David

My 53 T4 is fitted with TNS 200 and ETA system. Local radio cuts in and gives traffic information then returns you to what you were listening to; ie disc or radio.

What you are seeing is EON on FM (which only works if you are tuned to the BBC. ETA is different. It uses RDS TMC which comes up as ".... do you want to avoid traffic". You can also see it bu looking at traffic information on the TNS main menu. Trust me I know as I was one of the inventors of TMC!

I agree Trafficman. My Avensis T4 does have ETA. When I set a route it tells me if there are traffic problems on my route and if there is a traffic jam or accident ahead. I have the TNS 200. It also tells if the traffic jam etc is cleared. On one occassion when it said traffic jam ahead I tried to re route. That was unsuccessful?????. I would think it should be possible to re route on the move.

• 1 month later...

I Have Landcruiser Amazon and i have tried to install TNS 300 Europe disk into the CD Changer ? and it will not install. Does anyone know how to install the disk.

The disk goes in the navigation unit DVD/CD which is under the front passenger seat in an Avensis but in tyhe boot of Lexus and the like. The DVDs do not seem to be interchangable, I tried my Full colour map disk 2005 V2 into a '52 Lexus with identical looking system and it didn't work!!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links