Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Needed

GaryMabbuttsKnee

ok heres the situation, my car failed the MOT recently due to defective handbrake (the only fault other than the nearside headlight was "a bit high" - result, considering the car is 17 years old....) so after thorough inspection of the entire rear braking mechanism i bought two new handbrake cables and new rear pads hoping it would solve the problem, upon fitting of the new cables the handbrake seemed to improve a wee bit, but at the retest it failed AGAIN :ffs: so i bit the bullet and bought 2 reconditioned rear callipers. these were fitted last night and the handbrake still seems a bit on the weak side, and im paranoid about it failing again. the 2nd retest is on monday so any advice/ideas will be greatly appreciated....... :unsure:

Cheers

Andy

Hello gary,

i had the same problem about 2 years ago the mot station i go to gave me a few ideas on what to do and they are as follows........The first might sound a silly thing to be missed but have you adjust the hand brake cable at the lever end?if you have then your best of driving it somewhere quite a couple of fast short hard braking should help bed the new pads and discs in for ya?!

Max Res Trevor aka saxokiller

the front of the 3 handbrake cables has been adjusted as tight as it can go, and trust me the pads have been bedded in properly with some "enthusiastic" driving :D the foot brake is unbelievably good, u can stand on the pedal and they just wont lock up at all - got stainless goodridge brake lines on order as well, should be fitted within the week

apologies for stating the obvious but did you remember to 'turn' the piston as you pushed it back ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links