Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lowering/alloy Problem

Tara

Hiya,

I bought Tein lowering springs as suggested by you guys in a previous post. Upon fitting them today, i've found that the car is sitting so low the arches are rubbing against my new 16" alloys. Has anyone else had this problem at all? If so what did you do about it? The offset of the alloys is right for the car so I cant see why there should be a problem.

Cheers

Tara :)

Seriously weird - I have the Tein springs and normally run R16s - what size of tyre are you using - mines run 195,45,R16?

Mine are the exact same size - it only rubs when hitting bumps, cornering fast or accelerating away fast. The wall of the tyre is catching on the inside lip of the wheel arch.

you must have a slightly larger offset then clarky, it may just be enough to catch the lip on the rear arch, if you run your finger under neath its about an inch long!

best bet is get them rolled, should only need to do the backs for around 30 quid per side

assuming its not scrubbing the front that is

Sounds weird! Are you sure it's your tyres rubbing the arches? My wee mud flap things in front of the back wheels hit the ground before my tyres rub the arches! :wacko:

I don't have mudflaps. It's deffinately rubbing the arches - the tyres are marked where its been hitting.

Anyone had the arches rolled/or done it themselves?

Tara

Botched mine on my old Punto, but would get it done by a pro or someone who would do a proper job on my Yaris.

All I did was take the wheels off, small piece of wood behind the arch, hammered (lightly) until it curled around and sat flat, then coated with hammerite and it did the job.

I think Envy Performance can do arch rolling, you'd be best to phone them and enquire! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

i wudnt recommend doing it yourself. i've seen it done and the results are dreadful tbh. U can crack the paint like dat, so you gonna have to get a respray as well, just not worth the risk.

get them ROLLED and not HAMMERED!!!!

Ed

Well my boyfriend tried to do it himself and the paint has chipped - seems to be pretty crappy paint in my opinion, very soft. So its booked in to get fixed tomorrow at a cost of £350 :o thats for respraying both rear arches and getting them rolled. Damn annoying though as I could have got my exhaust done for that amount :(

Tara

Well my boyfriend tried to do it himself and the paint has chipped - seems to be pretty crappy paint in my opinion, very soft. So its booked in to get fixed tomorrow at a cost of £350 :o thats for respraying both rear arches and getting them rolled. Damn annoying though as I could have got my exhaust done for that amount :(

Tara

Wow, this is unfortunate... :(

You should have just gone to Envy for the arch rolling and the exhaust as well!

even a proper arch rolling machine will crack the paint :( it did with mine

the paint is mega thin and shears at the slightest bend in the metal work

OOooo arch rolling is a dodgy thing,we've seen arch rolling at work and it nearly always

cracks the paint :(

Those teins have turned out to be alot more expensive than the eibachs i recommended :P :lol:

Your wheel offset are wrong!

I've already checked the offset, before i bought them. It mentions this in my first post.

Tara :)

Surely it has to be the offset. When you are saying you "have checked the offset" what do you mean? What offset are they? If it is catching on the inside of the wheel arches it means your tyres are too close to the inside edge of the arch which indicates your offset is too small surely?

It may be worth considering your offset compared to clarky who runs the same set up without problems!

Surely it has to be the offset. When you are saying you "have checked the offset" what do you mean? What offset are they? If it is catching on the inside of the wheel arches it means your tyres are too close to the inside edge of the arch which indicates your offset is too small surely?

It may be worth considering your offset compared to clarky who runs the same set up without problems!

What I mean is the recommended offset for the yaris is 35-45 and mines are within that range (they are 35). So surely they should have been ok?

35 a bit too close to the arches imo for 16" and lowered quite a bit on tein's. It is recommended you have 38 for 16"'s and then up to 42 for 17" before lowering. So i would have said around 40 better for 16" that are lowered quite a bit. ET35 is JUST in the range making them for more like 15" before lowering. It says all this in the guide compiled by cfc1. So yeah i guess you need to roll the arches as i guess you cant change the offset of a tyre in the way you want (im just guessing as dont know much about wheels)

35 a bit too close to the arches imo for 16" and lowered quite a bit on tein's. It is recommended you have 38 for 16"'s and then up to 42 for 17" before lowering. So i would have said around 40 better for 16" that are lowered quite a bit. ET35 is JUST in the range making them for more like 15" before lowering. It says all this in the guide compiled by cfc1. So yeah i guess you need to roll the arches as i guess you cant change the offset of a tyre in the way you want (im just guessing as dont know much about wheels)

I realise all this now hence the reason the car is currently in the garage having its wheel arches rolled. I just went on the fact that 35-45 were meant to fit and the ones i was offered were 35 so it seemed a logical idea at the time.

Anyway its done now, so there's nothing I can do bar the putting it in the garage to get it fixed - which I have :crybaby:

I'll know for next time though.

yeah sorry to hear this, i had et35 15x7's and they rubbed but ive spoke to others whose have been ok i think the size of tyre wall makes it a close call

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links