Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Early Avensis 1.8gs Or Later Vvti

gazza1286

I currently own a Carina II (1990 - wife's car) and I'm looking to replace this in the next few months - probably for an Avensis. I tend to keep my cars for a long time (had this one since 1999) so I'm looking for a vehicle which will be reliable over the longer term.

What advice could you give regarding the best choice between the above. I'm not wanting to spend more than £3/4k.

Thanks

If you're specifically after a 1.8, I'd go for the older car. The lean burn engines carried over from the Carina are bulletproof and economical, and the best cars should be little more than 3K.

£4k puts you in early vvti territory, check the boards to see the issues these engines have, specifically oil burning.

Ideally go for a pre-facelift 2.0 or as second best a 1.8, don't bother with the VVTi ones if you want to ensure the engine will last.

For that money though you could get an old shape Honda Accord which IMO was a better car than the old Avensis, more modern technically etc and totally dependable, for £4k you aught to be able to get the executive model which had leather, proper digital climate, Bose Stereo, Cruise Control etc and even things like disc brakes allround which were for some reason missing on pre-vvti Avensis.

i have a 1.8 GS (T reg) Very impressed with it on little journeys and long hauls trips

i would say tho for the money you would like to spend id opt for a GS or even a higher model with more tricks inside and the 2ltr lean burn engine which is bound to be even more perky on trips

hope i have helped in some way

I agree with the above posts. I had the same dilema as you last year when I bought my Avensis. I decided to go for the older lean burn 1.8 GS (S Reg) rather than the VVTi because of the oil burning problem of the early VVTi engines. There are lots of posts on this forum relating to this. I've been really pleased with the car and like you plan to keep it for many years.

Thanks for the advice

I've seen a 1.8GS 68K miles fullish service history for £1900. Silver unmarked R reg.

The problem I've got is the question of insurance!!

I'm with Esure and I asked for a quote to change the cover to the new car 'til 02/2007. £36 Not bad

BUT!!!!

ONLY 1 months cover to insure my existing car until I sell it will cost me £93!!!!!!

Esure ONLY insure fully comp and will not provide 3rd party on the older car

The car is only worth £250!!! What a rip-off!!

Anyone with any ideas??

Thanks for the advice

I've seen a 1.8GS 68K miles fullish service history for £1900. Silver unmarked R reg.

The problem I've got is the question of insurance!!

I'm with Esure and I asked for a quote to change the cover to the new car 'til 02/2007. £36 Not bad

BUT!!!!

ONLY 1 months cover to insure my existing car until I sell it will cost me £93!!!!!!

Esure ONLY insure fully comp and will not provide 3rd party on the older car

The car is only worth £250!!! What a rip-off!!

Anyone with any ideas??

Norwich Union offer temp. insurance from £10 for one day.If you can store off road then tranfer to new car and take out take out temp cover when you need it l

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links