Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2x12" Worth It?

Griffyn

I already have one 12" Alpine Type-R sub which is awesome, but why do so many people go for 2x12" or 2x10" subwoofers? What is the benefit?

Also does the shape of a sub box matter too much as long as its the right volume? As what I have read so far about custom boxes implies as long as its not say 200mm by 2mm by 2mm (I know a sub wouldn't fit but is an example) or something stupid like that it doesn't really matter on shape of box?

There are alot of factors about sub and sub enclosures that you need to take into account.

Size of sub

Sub spec (not all subs are the same, even though it's a 10" sub, different watts/Ohms/etc to take into account)

Enclosures size (all to do with cubic foot squared size (very technical))

Power from amp, wiring to sub (one sub easy to wire, but two sub can be wired in parrallel/series make the the amp to work either harder/easier and will make it louder/quieter)

These are a few things you need to take into mind about changing subs.

My sub rumbles about 37Hz, but then someone elses sub could rumble higher/lower even if it was the same make/model.

The enclosure was design for the sub, but put it into a box, and it will sound completely different!!

Have one/two sub won't make much difference to your ears, but you will need a bigger amp to power two sub than one

What are you planning to do anyway??

Technically, powering 2 subs at the same output as you were powering one will give you a better sound quality. 2 subs doing the half the work each that one was doing previously. And along a similar vain, if you have a powerful amp, you can also run both subs at max - double the sound.

I have an 800W (peak) amp. I had 2 choices - spend a fortune on a sub that can take all 800W and then some, so I don't wreck it when its driving hard, or buy 2 much cheaper ones at 500W each, so they aren't having to work as hard for the same result. Needless to say 2 Subs was the way forwards.

As a down side you lose more boot space... Buy who needs boot space when you've got booom...?!! ;)

I have the MRD M605 from alpine which is 600W RMS on 2ohms and I have the Alpine Type-R wired in parrallel so its at 2 ohms (max 500W RMS) (sub is DVC), but amp according to alpine is actually 650W RMS (cant remember figure in manual when tested off hand).

I know my amp can support 1000W RMS on 1ohm and be stable but I dont really want to go down that route to be honest. Would probably get another sub and amp package because I can get both for £300 + whatever delivery is.

The sub enclosures are recommended to be 0.7-1.0 cu ft for a sealed box (which is easiest). But can the box be made any reasonable shape? Unfortunately the boot in the Yaris is tiny so cant use two boxes provided and have the amps in the back too. I am planning on having the two subs on the right and left with custom boxes and then an amp rack for my 3 amps (2 for subs and 1 for speakers) and also somewhere fit my two power caps (already have two).

Im not all that worried about boot space......since well currently I dont use it all due to having all that much. Can get about 4 carrier bags of shopping in. But since its a 5dr just chuck bags, etc in the back. And when I brought my bike, suitcase, pc, 19" crt monitor, etc, etc back from uni last saturday I managed to get that all in the car without even using the boot :thumbsup: So boot isnt neccessary :D

But would I notice a worthwhile difference having two subs powered my independent amps with custom boxes of the right volume which will be boxish shape?

Thanks for the replies.

I think the only thing you'll really notice is the loud ringing sound in your ears when you go to bed at night. Its called Tinitus. It isn't nice (trust me). Yes, you will notice a difference - it'll be a hell of a lot louder, but with the size of the Yaris, proxemity and severe volume of the output, I wouldn't bother - purely on health reasons. That is all assuming that you will be wanting to push your system, of course... I can fully appriciate the "aesthetics" of having the boot install that you want, and it will look good.

You'll also want to add a few more Speakers to cover everything above 200Hz (ish), or where-ever you cut off your subs, otherwise everything else in your music will be lost with all the bass.

As for enclosures - as long as your boxes are roughly box shaped, they'll be fine. You only start to get interesting anomylies when you are making wierd and wonderful shapes with internal sound channels etc. A standard boxy wedge should do the job quite admirably.

Can't wait to see the pics when its done! :thumbsup:

I get that ringing sound even from my one sub :yes:

I personally don't get why people need two subs anyway, yeah it makes it louder, but rattles the car to hell, and for the sake of a bit of matting, will make it sound a whole lot crisper, punchier and solid sounding.

I think people tend to set up the sub at the wrong tone, so that will cause alot of flat bass within the car.

Wacking the bass setting to full makes it sound aweful, if you get the crossover frequency set correctly, then the bass setting will be flat and will sound alot more natural sounding than over-powering bass.

Well over the weekend I am going to design my install and just make sure I can fit it all in. I am thinking of having the three amps 'floating' in the middle with a slight angle so they can be seen. The the two subs either side angled outwards and upwards to maximise room. I think it will look really cool.....and if I know it will all fit and have some slight room left over (error when drawing/making etc) then I will order at the weekend and will start next weekend. Finish my job at 12 on fridays (easter holiday from uni at the moment) so will have 2.5days on it and should get boxes built and amp rack done and wiring done.

But I am not sure how to finish the boxes off. I currently have this setup (sorry for bad quaility picture.....but 2 amps under a false floor with 12" sub in the middle and power cap has been moved to pro-long life and because it vibrated way too much, not a suprise but worth a try):

17-10-05_1414.jpg

Since I dont know how to use fibreglass I am not even going to attempt to use it! But I do love the way people finish it off with paint. I am just wondering what the sub boxes would look like finished in a blue paint with silver flakes in (car is blue). If I was to do this I would sand sub boxes down so would have rounded edges/sides. But would this look good? Comments please :)

Or should I stick with black carpeted boxes? (Going to build a new false floor just for wire running/hiding of excess wire, etc and this will be covered in black carpet, this won't be as thick as the previous false floor since the amps won't be under it).

Thanks for replies

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links