Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Do I Remove The Steering Wheel ?

damram

Hi There

Does anyone know how to remove the steering wheel safely on a 2001 avensis ?

My horn isnt working and i have tracked the fault to under the wheel , but could use some

advice on safely removing it without blowing the airbag !

Thanks in anticipation

Damian

Dont know if its any different for cars with airbags but for mine - we just took the centre piece off - some screws on back of wheel, then its pretty self - explanatory from there - you can see which bits you need to unblt - then rob used a device i think he called a 'cog puller' or something like that - looked like a claw - which clasps over the back of the steering wheel and you screw it inwards to eventually pull the steering whell off the spline in the centre - comes off with a real bang!!

It sounded to me like something had broke but it hadnt , it was just the noise of it coming off

like i say -there may well be something extra to do with a car that has airbags - wouldnt try it until you know for sure :)

Dont know if its any different for cars with airbags but for mine - we just took the centre piece off - some screws on back of wheel, then its pretty self - explanatory from there - you can see which bits you need to unblt - then rob used a device i think he called a 'cog puller' or something like that - looked like a claw - which clasps over the back of the steering wheel and you screw it inwards to eventually pull the steering whell off the spline in the centre - comes off with a real bang!!

It sounded to me like something had broke but it hadnt , it was just the noise of it coming off

like i say -there may well be something extra to do with a car that has airbags - wouldnt try it until you know for sure :)

Thanks for the advice pal , much apreciated.

disconnect the Battery before trying , any undue "noise" may trigger the air bag , and they are not cheap.

epc shows 2 screws behind the steering wheel , and the nut holding the wheel on .what i do is crack the nut with the steering lock on. unscrew it about half way , then pull and twist at the same time , the wheel should pop off and hit the nut and not you in the face. remember to mark it on the splines with paint before removal so it goes back on straight

i just noticed that the horn assembly is under the air bag itself , you dont need to remove the steering wheel

oh!! also tegan is a chik

disconnect the battery before trying , any undue "noise" may trigger the air bag , and they are not cheap.

epc shows 2 screws behind the steering wheel , and the nut holding the wheel on .what i do is crack the nut with the steering lock on. unscrew it about half way , then pull and twist at the same time , the wheel should pop off and hit the nut and not you in the face. remember to mark it on the splines with paint before removal so it goes back on straight

Thanks v much ,ill give it a go !

disconnect the battery before trying , any undue "noise" may trigger the air bag , and they are not cheap.

i'd be more worried about a screwdriver in the face lol :P

check out the edit i did

My horn isnt working and i have tracked the fault to under the wheel , but could use some

My advice would be dont do it, just be careful they can cause serious injury, no joke. Even once it is removed it can still activate by a sudden jolt. Get an expert to look at it, you do not want to be messing about with airbags.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

airbags need an electrical impulse to trigger a lazer - without 12v it will be safe.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi There

Thanks in anticipation

Damian

to remove your airbag first dissconnect the Battery negitive terminal leave airbag for 90 seconds or more

there are 2x torx screws at 9:00 and 3:00 just behind the steering wheel the one on the right has a small cover over it and the one on the left has audio control covering in (if fitted) the torx screws are captive so will need a bit of pokeing to get them out. Life off airbag and lay in back seat. There is a 19mm nut holding streering wheel on but dont take it all the way off or you will lose some teeth lol half way then twist and pull. once off carry out a contineuity test betweem airbag squib and horn contact i suspect the airbag spirl cable is faulty ( ps torx bit size is 35) or the black single wire on terminal block

My best advice is...don't. Yes, you need electrical input to set off the airbag "in the conventional manner", but, as regards all explosives (the airbag device has a small amount of plastique), they can be volatile and any wrong manipulation may set it off.

Wear a flak jacket.... :!Removed!:

My best advice is...don't. Yes, you need electrical input to set off the airbag "in the conventional manner", but, as regards all explosives (the airbag device has a small amount of plastique), they can be volatile and any wrong manipulation may set it off.

Wear a flak jacket.... :!Removed!:

As for wearing a flak jacket. working for toyota for the past 25 years and still do, i have never had to wear a flak jacket :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links