Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice Before I Seal The Deal - 53 T3x

Jesper O

I am almost there with my Avensis

Went for an inspection yesterday and car generally very clean apart from following

Passenger Side Condensation in Headlight - do they replace for you?

One Alloy seems to have a bleb of corrosion beginning - known issue?

Scuff to wing mirror ( not a massive issue)

I would appreciate any advice on the issues i have found and any other things to look out for.

All / any advice appreciated- first test drive today !!!

I think the headlight condensation is a known issue. It could be due to water collecting in it (from pressure washer use or otherwise) and not draining out properly or something more serious... Either way, I would expect the dealer to look into it and sort it out before the sale - especially if the dealer is Toyota - as the car should still be under warranty. There has been mention on TOC of the plastic melting on the inside if the bulb runs too hot or the plastic cannot take the heat. Mine condensed once but it had cleared by the time I had driven to work.

The corrosion on the wheel... I've heard people mention that the factory alloys aren't very corrosion resistant. I've got steels though so I can't really comment on that one myself. Could just have been the previous owner not giving enough care to the wheels. Possible refurb on that one alloy?

Personally, if they are the only real problems and the price is good then the problems aren't insurmountable and you should have a decent motor at the end of the day. :thumbsup:

Diesel or Petrol btw? Just curious! ;)

Cheers,

Jim

I think the headlight condensation is a known issue. It could be due to water collecting in it (from pressure washer use or otherwise) and not draining out properly or something more serious... Either way, I would expect the dealer to look into it and sort it out before the sale - especially if the dealer is Toyota - as the car should still be under warranty. There has been mention on TOC of the plastic melting on the inside if the bulb runs too hot or the plastic cannot take the heat. Mine condensed once but it had cleared by the time I had driven to work.

The corrosion on the wheel... I've heard people mention that the factory alloys aren't very corrosion resistant. I've got steels though so I can't really comment on that one myself. Could just have been the previous owner not giving enough care to the wheels. Possible refurb on that one alloy?

Personally, if they are the only real problems and the price is good then the problems aren't insurmountable and you should have a decent motor at the end of the day. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jim

Cheers,

Jim

its a dealer - petrol 1.8vvti

silver saloon.

the more i read on here the more i worry about buying it!!!

vectra never been any bother at all

If you don't mind me asking - how much is the asking price? What are you paying? Might be in the same boat soon myself.

If you don't mind me asking - how much is the asking price? What are you paying? Might be in the same boat soon myself.

screen price £9600 plus highest part x on my v reg vectra of £1800

update - i walked away

problems

- lip of boot very marked inside loading in and out etc

slight paint ripple to wing and line crease from insurance repaired bump - hardly visible but 9600

inside tired - why do all avensis seem to have glove box scratches ??

two marks equal distance apart on rear bumper - bike rack? tow bar?

anyway......not having it.....bored of looking

screen price £9600 plus highest part x on my v reg vectra of £1800

update - i walked away

problems

- lip of boot very marked inside loading in and out etc

slight paint ripple to wing and line crease from insurance repaired bump - hardly visible but 9600

inside tired - why do all avensis seem to have glove box scratches ??

two marks equal distance apart on rear bumper - bike rack? tow bar?

anyway......not having it.....bored of looking

Sounds like you did the right thing. Wonder if it's been a taxi, what with the boot marking and equidistant marks on the bumber (plates), plus it's a 1.8 Petrol which taxi drivers seem to go for by what I've seen.

Hey, my glove box ain't scratched. ;)

I got mine for 13K brand spankin' but it's the Colour Collection diesel... With plans of buying alloys seperately.

Cheers,

Jim

ask to see the log book check service history

too many avensis 1.8 at present values going down

also so many hire cars and sold as ex management ummm umm

stil hire cars not always toyota gb

some have missed the first service and dates / miles wrong ie not within 30 days or 750 miles

main problem possible loss of warranty

about a grand too high have a look at car supermarkets same stock but cheaper but only book for the part ex check clutch hire cars get a lot of clutch usediffernent drivers etc

I got my 53 T3 in December for about 10.5K but changed it after 2 months as it was a saloon and I found the hatchback to be much better, so I changed it to a T4 and paid 11.5K for a 54 plate. Still not bad, but I would not buy a new T4 as I dont think the price is worth it just for the 17inch alloys and the satnav. Also I dont like the satnav what so ever, its slow in comparison to TomTom and we used it to get from Reading to Gerrads Cross and god knows where it wanted to take us....THe alloys are ok tho(contradicting my self now...) does make the car look better with lower profile tires n so on...still I like the drive. :thumbsup:

The majority of the one and two year old Avensis at my local dealer are all ex Enterprise rental cars. They wont tell you, you'll have to check the log book for info. But they are a dead giveaway, all similar mileage around 10k and the general interior damage like the glove box, scraped and damaged boot etc, just basically cars that people havent given a damn about, and the dealers dont even make a good job of valeting them. I know there is a couple of big parks that Enterprise invite the dealers down to pick the best ones for resale and the rest go to auction. There is a thread somewhere else on this forum relating to that.

The majority of the one and two year old Avensis at my local dealer are all ex Enterprise rental cars. They wont tell you, you'll have to check the log book for info. But they are a dead giveaway, all similar mileage around 10k and the general interior damage like the glove box, scraped and damaged boot etc, just basically cars that people havent given a damn about, and the dealers dont even make a good job of valeting them. I know there is a couple of big parks that Enterprise invite the dealers down to pick the best ones for resale and the rest go to auction. There is a thread somewhere else on this forum relating to that.

Thanks Fellas - all points of view appreciated.

The T3X seems best value to me....

You are right

Just bought a 05 plate T2 (silver) 9 months old - log book says ERAC (Enterprise rent a car)

11,000 miles

a couple of loading scuffs on top of rear bumper - but otherwise in good condition

no accident damage

My previous Avensis was ex Hertz - bought at 3 months old and sold at 4 years old - no problems

After all you do get the Toyota warranty

Anyone care to guess price paid ?

Q: What's the fastest car in the world?

A: A rental

Do you know what people do with rentals? I rented one on holiday once...went to visit some friends who live up a mountain...4x4 land.

...I actually felt sorry for the little car...poor thing

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links