Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

It Is That Oil Problem Again

thiambal

Bought my 1.8 Vvti a couple of months ago from a non-Toyota dealer. 2000/x 47,000 miles. I had a service and checked the oil at 100, 500, 1,000 and 1,500 miles - no oil used at all. So all good so far :thumbsup:

Then at 2,000 it had used 0.4 litres of oil and a further 0.3 litres by 2,500 miles. Hmmm, not good me thinks. No sign of an oil leak and no smoke.

Fortunately? it is still under warranty (3 months against mechanical failure given when purchaced). So I phoned them - they said they would check for a leak but if not they would assume the car just used a bit of oil and then send me on my way. :(

I pointed out that there was a known problem with some of these Avensis - they said that it did not consititue a mechanical failure so tough. Back to square one then :angry:

Looks like I will have to get rid then.... what a shame I love the Avensis and will inevitably lose money on the sale.

Mr Toyota - very, very, disappointed in your shoddy cars! :crybaby:

Sounds like the same oil problem. No engine should use 0.7l of oil in 2500 miles (not unless we are talking about tractors). There are numerous threads on this in here. Print one out and bring it to your dealer. You will not find a leak and no blue smoke from exhaust. Problem should be fixed under warranty.

My dealer fixed problem on my previous 2001 1.8VVT-i by stripping engine down and replacing gaskets. They took it in straight away after I told them it had used 1 litre of oil in about 2k miles :angry:

Good luck :thumbsup:

I've mentioned this before, but somebody really should challenge Toyota, or the dealer they purchased the car from, with the Sale of Goods Act 1979. It really is a powerful piece of consumer legislation.

See;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/guides_to/car_dealer.shtml

http://www.consumereducation.org.uk/laws/e...alrights/11.htm

the law has changed any fault within 6 months is treated as if present from when you got the car

speak to local trading standards and toyota uk bad publicity etc

this is wht the used price for the avensis is at rock bottom so many duff ones

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links