Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering Clicking

Bosnjo

I'm still arround the same problem - Steering Clicking. (Avensis 1.8 VVTi 2005)

It's last model Avensis. I know there are many steering problems in various types of Avensis. My problem is this:

It's clicking when turning stationary or at very low speed. It's only when turning right to left. Noise is comming from just below the steering wheel, not further down to the firewall. It's not squeeking, not stiff... If it wasn't the clicking noise I couldn't say it had any problem. Noise is not too loud and it's like "plastic to plastic"...

Dealer said it was "Airbag Spiral" and not the fault. Should be normal in new shape petrol (diesel has different steering).

Is there anyone with same problem and any possible soulution?????

At first service dealer greased something (wouldn't say what) and it was OK for about two weeks. Then it came back.

Thanks for any help.

I had the exact same problem. I solved it by doing some research on negative transducers. See, this happens because of the centre of gravity around the steering column being inferior to that of the chassis. Reason most likely being because of the rear-facing suspension mountings, though I never did get a straight answer when I asked the Toyota service people.

The most logical way to solve this is by dehubination of the central steering hub, in other words by demounting the central spring widget and gently prising it clockwise. This way you'll have total refabrilation of the centre mounted modulator (the thing that cancels indicated directional changes). Though a word of warning, removing the central pillar will most probably harm your defence (or make the steering incorrect on the X-axis, in any case).

I'd recommend taking it in to your Toyota garage...for warranty work.

Yeah, yeah, very witty mate. Who's your next pseudonym.... Princess Di?

I had a rover 216 with a clicking noise on it it turned out to be the airbag coil. Had it chnaged granted it did the same thing after about 15k or so. My dads old model 2001 year did the same that was the airbag coil that was replaced about 3 years ago no problem since.

I had a rover 216 with a clicking noise on it it turned out to be the airbag coil. Had it chnaged granted it did the same thing after about 15k or so. My dads old model 2001 year did the same that was the airbag coil that was replaced about 3 years ago no problem since.

Thanks Steve84!

Any Avensis last model with same problem?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links