Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Trip Computer

GVS

I have an early 03 Avensis 1.8 T4 and found the acuracy of the trip computer is a little off when it comes to average MPG. It seems to settle at 52-54mpg, but when I fill up each time I work out about 37ish MPG.

Has anyone else had a imilar experience or is this a known problem?

Any thoughts?

Gary

I have a 2000 Vvti. I find that the ave mpg on mine is not as consistent as it might be. Whereas the Range function seems to be a total work of fiction.

I have a 2000 Vvti. I find that the ave mpg on mine is not as consistent as it might be. Whereas the Range function seems to be a total work of fiction.

Yes thats another thing. When filled up it says I can do 538ish miles till emtpy and looking at miles done and range, it works down to about 1/2 a tank, then the range goes down by about 2 miles per miel or something like that. it drops drematically and ends up I can do about 380 miles before low fuel light comes on (50 miles in range at this point).

My driving is on motorways mostly, consistent speeds back and forth to work, 48 miles/day.

G

When you fill up it does reset. Then it starts calculating the mileage by your average speed and rest of the fuel. As you're gettng out of the petrol station, you are driving slow, in low gear, so your average is high consumption. As you get to the road your average consumption is getting lower and remaining mileage should go up.

I have a 2ltr vvi auto.

When i fill up i no longer bother resetting the range as i have noticed if i do the range actually goes lower.

If i leave it alone, every time i do refill the range seems to get slightly higher.

i think that it goes by an average fuel consumption and also remembers what distance you have done against what was in the tank before you filled up.

Also if you zero the trip meter and watch the two the range adjusts as to how far you have left by calculating how much fuel is in the tank by the average consumption.

i.e. Filled up and range said 350 miles. Drove 200 miles and range reckoned 220 left. Range also changes when first started. Once had range reading 79 miles, drove 37 miles to work and when i started up to go home it read 71 miles.

So it must also guage the tank contents every time the engine is started.

Hope this helps clear it all up :wacko:

just bought an 03 a month ago..my average mpg per the clock is 26/27, yet i get around 380-400 miles from a tank...something just doesn't add up

just bought an 03 a month ago..my average mpg per the clock is 26/27, yet i get around 380-400 miles from a tank...something just doesn't add up

Remember its the AVERAGE mpg that you are given.

Get on a motorway and set your comp to actual mpg.

Cruise at a steady 60-65 and watch the figure. it will stay reasonably steady, then just squeeze the throttle and go to about 70. The reading will drop massivel and then when you are back at a steady speed it will rise again.

My old shape D4d is currently doing 56.5mpg ave town and country driving, and according to the trip meter I'm getting 630 to 660 ish to the tankful so my computer is pretty much accurate and I consistently get this month in month out.

Remember its the AVERAGE mpg that you are given.

Get on a motorway and set your comp to actual mpg.

Cruise at a steady 60-65 and watch the figure. it will stay reasonably steady, then just squeeze the throttle and go to about 70. The reading will drop massivel and then when you are back at a steady speed it will rise again.

yup. so most people are averaging high thirties in mileage. according to my computer I'm way off

My dad has the exact same model, 1.6L engine..his computer gives 37/38 mpg constantly, even when i drive it, mine gives 27/28 when he drives it..so something definitely wrong..

My range guage makes me laugh..... I once did 650 miles (the trip had been reset so I could see how many miles i'd actualy done) and the range left was about 50 miles. After I'd filled up the range guage said 530 miles and that was whilst I was still sitting on the forecourt and hadn't moved.

Thats the opposite of my car. 03 1.8 VVTi model. Does about 380 miles to tank (till warning light comes on) yet the display says i average anything from 52-55MPG..... Work it out and you get the correct figure of 37ish MPG.

I would expect al the same car type of be off by the same figure, not the opposite???? Whats going on here then.

Another thing, whenh you fill up, does the range meter show 530Mile+

G

I have a 2002 1.6l Avensis and I usually have the l/100 km consumption display. When I fill it up(not sexy enough to be a she...) and go for a 190 mile motorway dash and then fill it up again (brim to brim) the trip computer is actually very accurate. If I use it for stop and go town driving I use anywhere from 0.2 to 0.5 l more than the trip computer display reading which I attribute to the start-warmup phase. I don't bother with the range since I don't ever leave it under 1/4 full anyway.

My trip computer says AVG 24MPG Range 380 miles iv never trusted it, its just a gimmick to make long journeys more interesting by playing the fuel game....think i preferred the old green ECON light

My corolla trip computer was a bit hit and miss, the avensis one seem about right . I worked mine out the other day avg mpg was 41.5 the trip computer was 39.7. Time before that i worked it out it said 45mpg when i was getting 41mpg.

Thats the opposite of my car. 03 1.8 VVTi model. Does about 380 miles to tank (till warning light comes on) yet the display says i average anything from 52-55MPG..... Work it out and you get the correct figure of 37ish MPG.

I would expect al the same car type of be off by the same figure, not the opposite???? Whats going on here then.

G

nope, it shows around 280, but i get almost 400miles from a fill..what size tank is in a petrol avensis?

G

nope, it shows around 280, but i get almost 400miles from a fill..what size tank is in a petrol avensis?

60 litres

60 litres

well that puts me on the 30mpg number...which seems very low..i don't drive the car hard...hmmm..wonder why i'm low?

Well the numbers for me (1.6l 2002 year old shape) are

motorway (@ 100km/h~60mph) 5.7 l/100km or 49 mpg (equal to official Toyota figures)

motorway (@ 120km/h~75mph) 6.3 l/100km or 45 mpg

town runs 8l/100km or 35mpg

I have done approx 70k kms (~44k miles) and my brake pads have more than half their initial thickness so I must be quite a calm driver. Also the tyres will most probably be changed due to old age rather than tyre tread thickness.

Well the numbers for me (1.6l 2002 year old shape) are

motorway (@ 100km/h~60mph) 5.7 l/100km or 49 mpg (equal to official Toyota figures)

motorway (@ 120km/h~75mph) 6.3 l/100km or 45 mpg

town runs 8l/100km or 35mpg

I have done approx 70k kms (~44k miles) and my brake pads have more than half their initial thickness so I must be quite a calm driver. Also the tyres will most probably be changed due to old age rather than tyre tread thickness.

I need to check out my car, you're getting almost double my mileage...i'd understand if i was driving it hard, but i'm not...I've been driving as conservatively as possible for the past tow weeksm and i got maybe a 2mpg improvement...

something very wrong so..

I have a 2002 1.8VVTi SR - I think I must have the only trip computer that is quite accurate. I have checked each fill up for the last 12 months & trip computer is on average about 0.5-1.0 mpg below what I actually get !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links