Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Management Light

nezerr

hi all,

iv just got the engine management light on as i pulled out from work, iv noticed i have high petrol consumption these last few weeks or so but didnt think much of it?

any ideas what could be the course of this or even if this is related to the fuel consumption at all.

Iv had a new cat fitted in the last 20k and my car has now covered 83k and I read on here o2 censers are a common cause for management light.

Toyota want to charge me £35 just to have a look which I think is over the top, :censor:

so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Neil.

It is impossible to say what is causing the engine management light to come on. There are hundreds of different error codes that all will turn on the light. In order to find the right code you need an EOBD scanner. Not very expensive to buy an EOBD interface if you have a laptop computer you can use. Software is freely available on the internet.

It is impossible to say what is causing the engine management light to come on. There are hundreds of different error codes that all will turn on the light. In order to find the right code you need an EOBD scanner. Not very expensive to buy an EOBD interface if you have a laptop computer you can use. Software is freely available on the internet.

Since the Haynes manual for the mk1 Avensis is out this summer, I was going to start servicing my 52 plate myself, and an EODB scanner would be useful. Any ideas on where the best place to buy might be?

hi all,

iv just got the engine management light on as i pulled out from work, iv noticed i have high petrol consumption these last few weeks or so but didnt think much of it?

any ideas what could be the course of this or even if this is related to the fuel consumption at all.

Iv had a new cat fitted in the last 20k and my car has now covered 83k and I read on here o2 censers are a common cause for management light.

Toyota want to charge me £35 just to have a look which I think is over the top, :censor:

so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Neil.

Hi Neil 10 to 1 its one of the four oxygen sensors, especially if you are using more fuel. Fraid its an expensive item if you get Toyota to fix it, I've just had my 3rd one quit on me and each time it's been close to £200, unless you can determine which one has gone and change it yourself. Sorry for the bad news, but I've just found a broken headlight glass. :( So we've all got our probs. Barry61

Just got back from Toyota dealer and your right Barry its an oxygen sensor, Bank 1 sensor 1 £190 repair bill seems expensive, I tried http://www.lambdasensor.com/ but they cant find a sensor for my car and as I read the forums here it looks like im gonna need another 3 sensors very soon so the bills gonna add up and prove very expensive indeed, if anyone knows where I could get hold of these sensors to save me a few quid id really appreciate it

Thanks

Neil

Just got back from Toyota dealer and your right Barry its an oxygen sensor, Bank 1 sensor 1 £190 repair bill seems expensive, I tried http://www.lambdasensor.com/ but they cant find a sensor for my car and as I read the forums here it looks like im gonna need another 3 sensors very soon so the bills gonna add up and prove very expensive indeed, if anyone knows where I could get hold of these sensors to save me a few quid id really appreciate it

Thanks

Neil

PM me I could help you

i've seen this website posted on this site before, looks fairly comprehensive but not tried them myself. They do sensors and diagnostics: gendan.co.uk.

Good luck!

Thanks

Neil

Hi Nezerr, i had an exhaust oxygen sensor go on a 98 Avensis. It was £250 just for the part so i took a chance and got one from the breakers cost £40 all okay. But you might be unlucky and get a duff part from the breakers, make sure they have some kind of return policy before you buy from one.

thanks spike

i did think about taking that route but like you say its gonna be a risk and as these sensors seem so week in the first place i think im gonna look for aftermarket

thanks spike

i did think about taking that route but like you say its gonna be a risk and as these sensors seem so week in the first place i think im gonna look for aftermarket

I have a set of four unused original sensors available if you are interested.

Hi - I'm also struggling with O2 sensors

I have tried to PM you xrec2 - but failed - please can you contact me on timkedwards@yahoo.com

Thanks

Tim

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links