Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Test Failure

gar-mac

My truck has just failed its test for exhaust smoke(kinda knew it would!). Its has a reconditioned jap engine fitted- with the egr blanked. Any suggestions as to what i could do to rectify this issue without compromising already hopeless performance? :(

get a pump and injector refurb and try again .

The answer is in the smoke.

We can generally understand what is wrong with a diesel engine by the colour of smoke emitted from the exhaust. There are three basic colours - black, white and blue.

Black smoke

This is due to a air to fuel ratio imbalance, either the fuel system is delivering too much fuel into the engine or there is not enough clean air (oxygen ) a few things to look for :

Faulty injectors (injectors need attention at about 100.000 to 120 000 miles)

Faulty injector pump

Dirty air cleaner

Turbocharger or intercooler faulty

Problems within cylinder head, valves clogged up due to faulty EGR (exhaust gas recycling unit)

WHITE SMOKE

Normally means that the fuel injected into the cylinder is not burning correctly. The smoke will burn your eyes.

Engine/pump timing out

Fuel starvation to the pump causing the pumps timing not to operate correctly

Low engine compression

Water/petrol in the fuel

BLUE SMOKE

The engine is burning engine oil

Worn cylinders or piston rings

Faulty valves or valve stem seals

Engine over full with engine oil

Faulty injector pump/lift pump allowing engine oil to be mixed with the diesel

Remove the fuel filter and replace if not done recently, if it has been done still remove the filter and fill with a bottle of redex or similar brand of injector cleaner, run this through the engine and see if this helps, also about an hour before the retest take it for a run and drive it like you stole it, then take it to the mot staion whilst it's still very hot.

Did they fail it on the smoke or was it the emissions, if it was emissions run a few litres of veg oil in with the fuel, this should bring them down a lot, but be careful of customs and excise, if they dip your tank you will get a big fine for not paying the extra duty.

Mine used to smoke extremely badly i used a can of Wurth diesel additive and got the engine up to running temp took it down some back roads and floored it and tonnes of black smoke and after a few goes it cleared and 7several tanks later and it hardly smokes at all.

Andy did you mean fill the fuel filter with Redex and replace?? Probably a dumbass question I know......

Andy did you mean fill the fuel filter with Redex and replace?? Probably a dumbass question I know......

you need to put a bit in the fuel tank.On the redex container it says what ratio is necessary.After putting the redex in your tank ,drive the vehicle hard.It's best to floor it in the lower gears.

Hope this helps.

Yes thats what a lot of the guys on the Surf forum have done, not had to do it myself as most of the ones I import have low mileage.

Hi

I used to have a Mk 111 Hilux which was underpowered when pulling a trailer. My local garage 'opened up the injector pump a bit' by turning an adjuster screw on the side of the pump. This improved the towing performance but made the truck pump out black smoke under load.

This adjustment also made the truck fail the smoke emmissions test on the MOT test computer.

To get over this problem for me they adjusted the pump back to the previous setting, carried out the test and reset the pump.

Obviously the adjuster screw limits the amount of fuel going through the pump.

I may be wrong but if you turned down the pump screw you may be able to limit the amount of black smoke enough for your Hilux to pass the MOT test.

I could be worth a try!

Tony

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links