Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Management Light

funkyg

I was raving about my car last week. Drove all the way over to Paris and back, and it didn't skip a beat.

Get it back over here and things start to go wrong!

Driving to work this morning and the engine man. light came on. Performance doesn't seem to be affected, although the idle when warmed up does seem a little rough (but it's been like that for the last 12 months while I've had it.)

After doing a search on here it seems like the most likely suspect is the O2 sensor, does this sound about right? I've got it booked in for diags next Tuesday, I'm not going to kill the engine while driving with the light on am I?

Plus if it is the O2 sensor, again what damage if any could occur while driving it until it gets fixed?

Oh BTW, it's a 2001 vvti 2.0

Cheers.

Mike.

No, you should be ok. It's likely to have just thrown a fault code and put the light on. At worst it's in some sort of back up mode which may make for problems with emissions or fuel economy but so long as you're not doing that for a long time (a number of weeks) then you won't do any damage

No, you should be ok. It's likely to have just thrown a fault code and put the light on. At worst it's in some sort of back up mode which may make for problems with emissions or fuel economy but so long as you're not doing that for a long time (a number of weeks) then you won't do any damage

Cool, thanks for the quick reply. Had to go to Leeds today, just got back and the mpg is spot on on what it should be (around 37mpg) so that's not too worrying. No doubt I'll found out on Tuesday what the problem is.

Mike.

Have already had 2 No. O2 sensors replaced on my Avensis (I believe there are 4No. in total).

Guess what? - The dreaded management warning light has come on again and I'm taking it in for a check tomorrow.

I've already paid out 2 x £200.00 to have the first two replaced. I fully expect another £200.00 piece of bad news tomorrow. After this there is still one more O2 sensor to go.

This is becoming very expensive and I am losing faith in Toyota reliability.

I wrote to Toyota but they weren't interested in my problem (car is outside 3 year warranty period).

Any comment anyone?

The problem is it isn't the O2 sensor.

The O2 sensor fault tends to get thrown up for any fueling problem. Too rich/lean fueling will tend to result in an O2 sensor fault so it could actualy be a problem with the injectors or air flow meter for example.

Chances are you'll end up going around the houses changing bits and pieces until you finally get the right bit. I'd be pushing the dealers to be doing under warranty (as in they should guarantee the work they do for something like a year)

The problem is it isn't the O2 sensor.

The O2 sensor fault tends to get thrown up for any fueling problem. Too rich/lean fueling will tend to result in an O2 sensor fault so it could actualy be a problem with the injectors or air flow meter for example.

Chances are you'll end up going around the houses changing bits and pieces until you finally get the right bit. I'd be pushing the dealers to be doing under warranty (as in they should guarantee the work they do for something like a year)

Pants. The garage is saying Bank 1, sensor 1. £200 to replace.

Mechanic is saying yeah, that should fix it. And my !Removed! poxy warranty doesn't cover O2 sensors. Why do I bother with warranties when they never cover the things that break on my cars?

It will have to wait until payday, can't Shell out 200 notes after coming back from Eurodisney. (After all it is the most expensive place on Earth!)

Grrr.

Mike.

What I mean is once they carry out some work on the car it should be guaranteed for a period of time (for example if you had the bumper replaced and it fell off after 6 months you'd be pretty miffed and expect them to put it right) so go back to the dealers tell them they didn't do it right to start with and get them to do it again.

Problem is as I said it could be umpteen things and unless you give them some incentive to get it right it just gives them a license to print money since you have to keep going back to get a bit changed

see my post d4-d speak to your mechanic who stocks Forte products and run the appropriate one through your fuel tank it cost me £15 to fix a problem MR T quoted £1500, I had O2 intake valve error codes, fuel pump error codes and fuel sensor error codes :crybaby:

check out www.forteuk.co.uk to see which one you could be looking for, they dont come cheap but by comparison its peanuts

• 3 weeks later...

I have a problem with engine management light, also ABS and traction control lights come on at same time. Seems to be worse after a long run so sounds similar. Mine has gone into garage 6 times, most common fault code is P0012. Garage has changed oil control valve and are now debating if they need to change the vvt valve on the head although they appear reluctant as they arn't convinced its that and its expensive although still under guarantee. Seems like they dont go wrong often enough for mechanics to gain problem solving skills!

Have already had 2 No. O2 sensors replaced on my Avensis (I believe there are 4No. in total).

Guess what? - The dreaded management warning light has come on again and I'm taking it in for a check tomorrow.

I've already paid out 2 x £200.00 to have the first two replaced. I fully expect another £200.00 piece of bad news tomorrow. After this there is still one more O2 sensor to go.

This is becoming very expensive and I am losing faith in Toyota reliability.

I wrote to Toyota but they weren't interested in my problem (car is outside 3 year warranty period).

Any comment anyone?

If ur motor is the 1AZ-FSE VVT-i engine, the top 2 sensors are air/fuel sensors and the lower 2 sensors are oxygen sensors. The top 2 measure air/fuel mixtures on each bank before it passes thru the cats and the oxygen sensors measure the content after mixture has passed thru. The engine ecu relies on these values and adjusts air/fuel mixture accrordingly depending on driving characteristics etc.

i have been told the fuel air mix sensors are prone to dirt and debris build up and fuel injector cleaner is good to use also do you use supermarket fuel ??

i have seen loads of problems with reduced detergent in this fuel

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links