Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Warning Light Has Come On?

Toyota Mickey

Hi there, I hope someone can help.

We were driving back home tonight and the engine warning light came on( the one that is shaped like an engine!) We were towing a caravan up a steep hill at the time but the engine seemed fine and was pulling ok, the coolant temp was normal and no oil lights etc came on. I carried on driving while the wife got out the owners manual and said " it says in here that that light comes on if there is a problem with an indicator bulb? " Well we stopped when we could just to make sure that all the indicators were working and they were????

I drove home and hoped that when I disconnected the caravan wire all would be ok, but it is not : (

On futher reading in the owners manual it seems to say that if this light comes on we need to take the car to Mr Toyota to get the car checked as it means that there is an engine or electrical problem. Has anyone got any ideas of what I can check and also is there an onboard diagnostics system on this car that I can check

The car is a year 2000 W reg 1800 vvt Avensis.

Cheers Mike.

reset the ECU first and see if the code goes.. it may have stored the code and you're seeing a repeat of it.

To reset the ECU, either pull the EFI (? not sure on avensis) or disconnect the Battery for a minute or two...

reset the ECU first and see if the code goes.. it may have stored the code and you're seeing a repeat of it.

To reset the ECU, either pull the EFI (? not sure on avensis) or disconnect the battery for a minute or two...

Thanks for Adi,

I disconnected the Battery, then had a good look around the engine loom etc for anything obviously broken or worn. All looked good so reconnected. Started engine and the light went out :D went for a 5 mile drive and so far the light has not come back on :thumbsup:

Maybe it flashed up when I was traveling up the hill because there was not enough vacuum to keep the purge system working or something like that??????? Anyway its ok for now so fingers crossed.

Mike.

I had this warning on my way to Scotland last year. The Liverpool Toyota agent suggested not using supermarket fuel (often bought on the spot market) Since then I have been using branded fuel & there has been no reoccurrence of the warning light. There have been various posts on this in the past.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links