Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Free Wheeling Hubs

redneckracing

hi,

does anyone know why i cant turn one of my free wheeling hubs all the way to lock position? its the left hand one, the right hand one turns perfectly. maybe it needs a bit of encouragement. :ffs:

Yeah,it might need some encourageing,especially if the hub has been repainted and not used often.

My buddy hasto tern his with the tip if a prybar. like a screw. try that. if that dont work i think i couled get u a pair of cheep land cruser hubs that i think will work. (?enyone?)

undo the bolts hoding it a then give it a clean and grease- i leave mine in lock all the time it makes no difference to driving and is recomended by toyota

undo the bolts hoding it a then give it a clean and grease- i leave mine in lock all the time it makes no difference to driving and is recomended by toyota

Whatever Toyota says, I would definitely NOT leave your hubs locked all the time. That causes a lot of unneeded wear and tear on the front end drive train. Just think of the gas mileage for one. With your hubs locked you are needlessly spinning your front axles, diff, and driveshaft. My truck is noticeably slower and has worse handling with the hubs locked.

Whatever Toyota says, I would definitely NOT leave your hubs locked all the time. That causes a lot of unneeded wear and tear on the front end drive train. Just think of the gas mileage for one. With your hubs locked you are needlessly spinning your front axles, diff, and driveshaft. My truck is noticeably slower and has worse handling with the hubs locked.

Still, remember to roll front end once or twice a month (see owners manual), some parts are lubricated that way.

Sorry not been on here for a while been busy with HPOC planning new things!

I did see on eBay a while back someone that was making a tool that helps turn the hub selector. It was bassically a metal cup which fits over and has slots to catch the parts which you would normally use to grip with your fingers. Not sure if its still on there, will have a look.

Yeah i wouldnt advise running all the time with locked hubs.

Cheers,

• 4 months later...

the reason i drive with the hubs locked is because the truck only does a few thousand miles a year and i use it for towing mini diggers so then i can get it in 4wd without messing around - a toyota fitter told me if you dont drive with the hbs in lock for a while the front drive shaft ceases and i dont want that!

its recommended to have them locked once in a while to keep this from seizing 10 miles max, its NOT recommended to drive with them locked permanent , it will cause damage.

• 2 weeks later...

correct 1o miles a mounth but my truck rearly does that in a mounth - it now just a back for towing, the hardest work mine does is carry me a a few bags of shopping! i wouldn't drive with them in lock if it was my perminat transport!

• 1 month later...

correct 1o miles a mounth but my truck rearly does that in a mounth - it now just a back for towing, the hardest work mine does is carry me a a few bags of shopping! i wouldn't drive with them in lock if it was my perminat transport!

There is nothing wrong with leaving your hubs locked. The wear is minimal and the economy almost impossible to measure.

Mine have been locked almost continuosly for 4 years. I only unlock them for a long roadtrip

The FWH were a aftermarket accessory that was eventually picked up by the major 4wd companies and became standard.

Toyota originally used Warn hubs and switched to Aisan in the early 80s.

Before FWH came along all hubs were permanently locked for life. Have a look at an old LR ,Jeep,Ford or Landcruiser,there aint no switches to be seen :thumbsup:

Many 6x6 trucks are still permanently locked .

There is nothing wrong with leaving your hubs locked. The wear is minimal and the economy almost impossible to measure.

Mine have been locked almost continuosly for 4 years. I only unlock them for a long roadtrip

The FWH were a aftermarket accessory that was eventually picked up by the major 4wd companies and became standard.

Toyota originally used Warn hubs and switched to Aisan in the early 80s.

Before FWH came along all hubs were permanently locked for life. Have a look at an old LR ,Jeep,Ford or Landcruiser,there aint no switches to be seen :thumbsup:

Many 6x6 trucks are still permanently locked .

True but if you can unlock them why put unecasserory stresses and use on the front axle etc

And never run 4x4 on the road or bang!!!

• 5 weeks later...

True but if you can unlock them why put unecasserory stresses and use on the front axle etc

As I said there is some benefit but its only minimal. What stresses are you talking about? Its just the diff freewheeling around in a bath of oil disconnectd from the wheels.

The axle doing nothing except turn around.

All wheel Drive cars have their front diff running all time with a load on them

Its ok for those who use 4wd daily to leave them locked,such as farmers,surveyors ect.

i agree, fair engough if you are using it for motorway miles and don't carry a load,but when my wagon is busy i use the hilux for towing diggers and dumpers so it's perfect to have 4WD at the movment of a leave - you try getting out in 3 foot of sludge and heavy rain and then trying to turn the hubs - rather you than me

As I said there is some benefit but its only minimal. What stresses are you talking about? Its just the diff freewheeling around in a bath of oil disconnectd from the wheels.

The axle doing nothing except turn around.

All wheel Drive cars have their front diff running all time with a load on them

Its ok for those who use 4wd daily to leave them locked,such as farmers,surveyors ect.

Yep to very good points for and against. In england most hilux drivers i know dont use them for off road situations every day or even every month so leave the hubs unlocked. If you will be switching in and out of 4WD all the time i.e a farmer or someone in soctland over a snowy winter then yes leave them locked.

I have just added a big write up at www.hpoc.co.uk/community if anyone is intrested

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links