Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.8 Vvti Oil Question

insane beaker

Is this oil usage problem going to eventually effect every 1.8 vvti engine and are there any engine numbers that are best avoided. I'm basically asking because I have seen a lovely 52 plate one with only 15000 miles and FSH. Its a great price too, but of course if the engine will eventually expire there's no point in me wasting my money. Any recent information/advice would be appreciated.

I found this bit of information

"This engine has big problems. The oil ways in the crank are not big enough to supply the big ends and allow adequate cylinder splash through the big end drilling. The lack of oil on the cylinder walls causes the Nikasil coating to wear away leading to poor oil control and "blow by" of the combustion gases into the crankcase. This pressurises the crankcase and makes it even harder for the under size oilways to lubricate the big ends"

That suggests to me every single 1.8 VVti engine will have this problem, only rectified by major work. BMW had this exact scenario with 3 series models pre 2001, they never really admitted it but it cost them a fortune. Just put the keywords BMW Nikasil into Google.

I really like the old shape Avensis but common sense advice would be dont buy a VVti model.

I'm sure the same applies to the current 1.8 vvti engines also. This might explain why some of us have significant oil consumption at less than 60K miles. I wonder how many owners of the new model, are affected by this type of consumption, which BTW only seems to take hold after about 45K miles. It's time for a bit of a_s_s kicking on Toyota!!

I thought this problem was sorted after 2002 models

The problem was sorted by toyota after 2002. The problem was with the cylinder linings they where of poor quality, Hence why the dealer has to take bore sizes. I had a 1.4 vvt-i corolla that burnt a lot of oil a gallon a month in the late stages. That engine was replaced it started to burn oil at 25k and was swapped at 48k. The engines affected was made from 2000-2002 the types where the 1.4, 1.6 1.8 zz units. The 2.0 vvt-i was not affected by the oil problem nor the d4d's. It seemed to be a early manufacturning problem. I too have heard about the oil channels being too small, But talking to a toyota trained tech, who is a friend and work mate i found the true answer, that being poor cylinder lining.

The problem was sorted by toyota after 2002. The problem was with the cylinder linings they where of poor quality, Hence why the dealer has to take bore sizes. I had a 1.4 vvt-i corolla that burnt a lot of oil a gallon a month in the late stages. That engine was replaced it started to burn oil at 25k and was swapped at 48k. The engines affected was made from 2000-2002 the types where the 1.4, 1.6 1.8 zz units. The 2.0 vvt-i was not affected by the oil problem nor the d4d's. It seemed to be a early manufacturning problem. I too have heard about the oil channels being too small, But talking to a toyota trained tech, who is a friend and work mate i found the true answer, that being poor cylinder lining.

Thanks Steve84 for the detailed information. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links