Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 7a-fe Valve Clearance/poor Compression

rf76

Hello all,

New to the Owners Club so here goes..... I own a 1998 Avensis 1.8 Saloon. I started the engine one morning and was greeted with a metallic whine from the engine. I stopped it immediately and was reluctant to re-start it again. Since then, it seemed to lack power. Upon a logical diagnosis of the problem, I noticed zero clearance on both no3 cylinder inlet camshaft shims. Thinking it was a shim/bucket fault, I swapped them with no1 and now no1 inlet camshaft has no clearance. I've fitted new buckets and the minimum thickness shim and still the clearance isn't to manufacturers spec and the valve is staying slightly open thus causing low compression on no1 cylinder. Has anyone here experienced the same problem?? Thanks in advance.

Can you describe what you did to narrow it down to Number 3 inlet shims and exactly what you've done to try and solve it.

The description sounds like a valve seat has shifted back in the head but I don't understand why in that case it would move when you tried adjusting the shims

Can you describe what you did to narrow it down to Number 3 inlet shims and exactly what you've done to try and solve it.

The description sounds like a valve seat has shifted back in the head but I don't understand why in that case it would move when you tried adjusting the shims

I thought the low compression was down to piston rings so removed the head and all valves. No3 valve seats looked ok so rebuilt head and refitted. I then noticed no clearance on no3 inlet valve between camshaft and shim so I decided to remove and swap with no1. Same occurance. I replaced the shim buckets and used the lowest thickness shims and still no good. Cant understand why this has happened. I'm told I can get the shims machined down even more but I'm reluctant to try this.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links