Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2001 Throttle Issue

Axus

Hi to everybody.

I need some help or advice. I live in the Dominican Republic and own an Avensis 2001 with a non vvt-i engine. It's the Latin American version, so instead of naming it Avensis they name it Corona.

Now, the problem im getting is that when i have the AC on, the throttle gets very laggy and the car takes some time to accelerate when i step on the gas and when i steer the steering wheel gets hard to turn. I know that the AC takes some power off the engine, but i get the feeling it's too much in this case.

So how can i fix this, or get some aftermarket part that will do it?

As far as i am aware mate most cars with AC on do have a bit of a drag...when switched on.

Mine is 1.8 VVTi and revs go up to 1000 rpm with AC on. So it's normal. I feel that AC cuts the power a bit but not too much as it is 1800 cm3, 130 hp. My previous car was VW Golf 1.6 with 105 hp and there I could feel power going down a lot with AC on.

So, AC needs a lot of power, but higher engine - less lack of power you feel. Once I drove one Renault 1.4 and with AC on it felt like car lost half of the power.

Avensis is heavy car. If your engine was 1.6 then it's normal you feel lack of power with AC on. I guess your car has hidraulic steering, so if it does, it was normal you feel the steering a bit heavier. My steering is electro-mechanical so no difference with AC on.

Well, i guess so, the AC takes power from the engine. So that little drag im feeling is something normal. I'll have to live with it :-P.

Thanks a lot for the posting and replying!

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links