Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4e-fe Timing/pinking

mitcho_man

Hi! I've got the same pinking problem with my 94 corolla 4e-fe, but only after CORRECTING the timing! The engine wasn't pinking before, but was running a bit rich so I I checked the actual timing marks; they're all okay. Then I checked the timing with a timing strobe and check wire. It was showing that the timing is at 0 degrees tdc. The Haynes book says it should be 10 before tdc, as does the official repair manual. So when I rotate the distributor so the no.1 spark is 10 btdc, it starts pinking on acceleration/quick raise of revs. All plugs have just been replaced with new Densos and have tested injectors, tps, valve clearences, water temp sensor, added fuel additives. I'm an apprentice tech for toyota and have asked everyone in the workshop, but nothing except scratching of heads! Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, Mitch

The engine was running fine before you tuned it yes? I'd when you've tried to reset it you've managed to set it wrong. Try resetting it to the positions you had before. Not quite so familiar with this engine type but it's possible the marks are set to me correct in a static position in which case you may have it set way too far in advance (10 degrees probably) Since over advancing an engine is a major cause of pinking it's a good bet.

Good thinking.. But all the actual timing marks on pulleys etc. are in the correct possitions and the enigine was running rich before. I.e. noticably excessive fuel consumption and running rich on an exhaust gas analyser. Cheers for your suggestion though. I'm going to put on a new dizzy cap and rotor arm tomorrow. In fairness they are both pretty worn. Hopefully that'll do the trick!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links