Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2td T Spirit

hallsteg

Folks,

There are a lot of pre-owned (late 2005 < 50miles on clock) 5 door hatchback 2.2Td T Spirit variants on sale in the dealers at this moment at good prices. I am thinking about replacing my ageing (2000) 2L GLS Avensis estate (old shape) with one of the new ones and was wondering what you thought of the new Avensis with the 2.2Td engine. Any general problems with either engine or car and what actual fuel consumption are you getting? Whats the Stereo like? Whats it like on the roads in winter - I live in the NE of Scotland so handling in snow is a concern for me. Any other coments greatly appreciated. Any idea why there are a lot of pre-owned versions on the forecourt?

By your description it's dealers pre-registering

Speaking generically about the Avensis with 17 inch alloys, lots of road noise.

Athough I don't have the 10 spoke alloys, they look hard to clean to me?

Stereo wise the treble is too aggressive for my ears, harsh rather than smooth. Bass and power seem adequate.

As highlighted in some threads, the headlamps don't seem exceptionally bright on unlit roads.

I'm not particulary tall 5.8 and I feel quite close to the roof - or high up in a semi MPV driving position, even with the position of the seat at it's lowest. Plenty of leg room in the back but not enough headroom for me. Weird thing is when the Avensis is sat next to my E class it's much higher - so should afford much more headroom than the E Class but the opposite is true. The E class has lots of front and rear headroom.

(I haven't found anyone else comment on the lack of headroom, maybe it's just me, but the roofline does intrude more with my line of vision... not directly, but I'm aware of the roofline in my immeadiate perhiperal vision). Physically there is enough headroom, I just feel a bit 'hemmed in'

Otherwise not much bad points generically speaking. Rear hatch rattles a bit on very rough uneven surfaces on mine.

I have not had mine long enough to try it in the snow yet but I can't imagine its any good with 215 tyres. You will certainly have to put mud and snow tyres on but that will add to road noise. Or tyre chains. I have not had a car that actually moved in the snow since 1991 and that was an AX GT.

Headlights are not too hot but it depends what you are used to.

Roadnoise is supprising on some roads but it depends what you are used to.

I agree headroom is not fantastic.

There is not much body roll in corners which I like and consequently my daughter does not appear to get car sick (yet) which is a big bonus.

Can't comment on the 2.2 diesel much but I came from a renault diesel to the 2L petrol Avensis and although the petrol is faster in this instance I preffer the diesel for "fun" driving. What I would say though is that unless you do lots of miles diesel is probably not worth it.

I assume there are loads of pre-owned models because of the slightly redesigned model thats comming out. They will preregister last years model so that they can be sold at a knock down price without upsetting Mr T too much but clear old stock out.

As been said new face lift model coming out late june,also toyota pre reg cars to keep the sales figures up.New 2.2 model now comes with 16" wheels seems they have stoped using 17" rims on t spirit.

2.2 diesels are very nice compared to the 2.0 variant, the 6 speed box also adds to the fun, in my opinion this 2.2 is much better than the 2.0 petrol. I'm 6 foot and have absolutely no problem with the headroom, seat is at its lowest setting but I have about 2 inches clearance to the roof, and no issues with the sunblind/rooflining obscuring my view. I agree the headlights are lacklustre in dip beam mode, but not dangerously so, it just means I use the high beam more. Fuel consumption, my onboard computer tells me I'm getting about 52 to the gallon, on average, thats lots of motorway driving, but I'm not too sure about its accuracy to be honest. Checking miles travlled per fill up I reckon its nearer 44 mpg.

hope this all helps, good luck with your new purchase

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links