Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Issues When Using The A/c

Nomad_Man

I have recently noticed a problem with my car when I turn on the air con. There is a soft knock or thump and a slight power loss when I turn the air con on. This only seems to happen if the car has been standing for about 3 or 4 days. The air con still blows cold. Has anybody had this problem before?

I am taking the car in for a service tomorrow at Mr. T so hopefully they will find it as I don't intend using the air con at all before the service.

I have a 04 1.4 VVTi Corolla if that helps.

Cheers.

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I couldn't find it searching the forums.

I have recently noticed a problem with my car when I turn on the air con. There is a soft knock or thump and a slight power loss when I turn the air con on. This only seems to happen if the car has been standing for about 3 or 4 days. The air con still blows cold. Has anybody had this problem before?

I am taking the car in for a service tomorrow at Mr. T so hopefully they will find it as I don't intend using the air con at all before the service.

I have a 04 1.4 VVTi Corolla if that helps.

Cheers.

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I couldn't find it searching the forums.

note that your engine is 1.4 so you are bound to feel a power loss when the a/c's on which isnt unusal.

i just feel sorry for people with 1.0 engines with a/c on lol

switching the a/c off will be like switching on turbo lol

Yep it's all the norm ..... my yaris barely moved when I had the aircon on :lol: !

Ask about the knocking though :thumbsup: !

Yeah you are defnitely right about the size of my engine and the power loss from turning on the a/c, but it is like a the car almosts shudders, like if I messed up a gear change when I turn the a/c on for the first time after it been standing for a couple of days. It never happens again if I turn it off later and then back on again during the ride, even if I flick it to full blast or even if the car has been standing for a couple of hours.

Thanks for the advice on here.

The guy at Mr. T said the soft knock was from the clutch on the a/c compressor engaging and that it was perfectly normal. Have any of you heard of this.

Cheers.

Yeah you are defnitely right about the size of my engine and the power loss from turning on the a/c, but it is like a the car almosts shudders, like if I messed up a gear change when I turn the a/c on for the first time after it been standing for a couple of days. It never happens again if I turn it off later and then back on again during the ride, even if I flick it to full blast or even if the car has been standing for a couple of hours.

It probably because you don't use your car everyday .... so when you get in and use all the electrics it zaps all the power from the Battery

With the knocking problem .... I have heard of it but mainly clicks rather than knocking, but in mine I can't hear anything as I have the stereo on full blast :lol: :!Removed!:

Thanks all for the advice and comments :thumbsup:

Will need to improve my ICE before drowning out the a/c :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links