Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is This Normal?

wun

Hi am new to the forum, its a great forum and helped me decide to buy a yaris.

Just brought a yaris SR 2002 recently and took it on the motorway for the first time today.

I would like to know your opinions, after going over 65mph, the steering starts to shake left and right, although if I let go of it the car stays in a straight line (steering still shakes left and right) , Its just after driving my arms feels they've had pins and needles!!!!

Is anything wrong with the car?

Mine does it too. It's fine up until the 70's then starts. All to do with the balancing of the wheels, need to get around to doing mine!

I've found this to, but usually stops after 70.

Thanks for the info.

I wasn't going to get it fixed BUT for the fact I have to commute 35+35 miles every day!

Oh well, hopefully the place I brought it off will balance it for me.

Edit

The place I bought it off have agreed to pay for my wheels to be balanced, yay!

Mine does it too :( but I have been assured that the wheels just need balancing... hurts my arm though on long drives :(

yep, probably just hit a rock in the road or something, take it to a tyre place to have them rebalanced, should cost you no more than a fiver per corner :)

get it sorted though, as imagine what could be happening to the bearings and steering gubbins with vibrations rattling through them ;)

Mine does this around 70ish but its not that bad. You can see the wheel moving a bit but you can't feel it enough for it to be annoying.

My wheels had new tyres recently (about a month ago?) and they were balanced back then - they never get it perfect do they!

yeah mine probably needs doing, its worse under heavy breaking, the wheel really shakes and vibrates

Mine does this around 70ish but its not that bad. You can see the wheel moving a bit but you can't feel it enough for it to be annoying.

My wheels had new tyres recently (about a month ago?) and they were balanced back then - they never get it perfect do they!

Yeah, so does mine but I'd assume every Yaris has a small rattle when driving at decent speed, it's suspension isn't the best in the world & neither are English roads, I generally don't notice it that much.

im sure davy can enlighten us on this, but i too have still had judders even after a balancing session.... taking it somewhere else cures the problem....

im thinking 'do these machines require annual calibration?' yet someone is 'cutting a corner?' ;)

unless some tyre men are just monkeys who do it wrong! or your wheels actually buckled!

I dont have shakes but my steering went really light under heavy acceleration in a puddle :P haha any ideas!! :P

my steering always feels really weird when driving on sheets of ice, I dont understand it.

I'm taking it to Mr T and going to shout and make a scene, hopefully they'll fix it under warranty.

blimmin car is so much trouble :lol::lol::lol:

yeah mine probably needs doing, its worse under heavy breaking, the wheel really shakes and vibrates

Ah!.. worse under heavy breaking eh!.. well, your wheel balance coulde be out, but.. thats not the the problem when it shudders under breaking.. you will have a warped disc.. go to an MOT station and get it on the brake tester, that will tell you which disc is warped. (but change them in pairs)

im sure davy can enlighten us on this, but i too have still had judders even after a balancing session.... taking it somewhere else cures the problem....

im thinking 'do these machines require annual calibration?' yet someone is 'cutting a corner?' ;)

unless some tyre men are just monkeys who do it wrong! or your wheels actually buckled!

Wheel balancers don't get annual calibration.. they should get callibrated at least EVERY MONTH.. if the balancer is out, then so will every wheel they balance.

Ok.. my keeper is calling for me.. must be the that new shipment of Banana's has finally arrived :)

lol, wasnt a dig mate, some of your tyre guys are sound..... just some of them are neandrethals (sp), like anything really :D

I know.. i took your comment as tongue in cheek.. but you are right.. i work with 4 chimps and a gorilla :lol:, i supose its the same at every garage/workplace.. these numpties seem to turn up everywhere, i mean.. just look at...

SW1A 0AA

and

SW1A 0PW

that should give an idea as to what the wost places are :lol: glad i don't work with that lot.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links