Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Many Mile Can You Get From A D4d Diesel?

Perfection

Best i got is 440 miles out of a tank, be surprised if anyone can better that in a t sport :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jaxx

• earpl

• seveer unaek

• Madasafish

Best I got is 521miles from a full tank, well thats when the fuel warning light came on in my new Diesel

I regularly go just over 600 miles before I fill up ... my brain tells me there's juice left in the tank but that flashing light plays on my mind !

(Sorry Alan... im replying with my many opinions in a diesel topic again!)

'How many miles can you get from your tank??'

Erm... I couldn't give half a horses left !Removed!.

Average is between 20 and 30... yes, im that accurate.

People say, 'ooh, for doing more than 12,000 miles a year you need a diesel, the savings are so much greater than a petrol, and the torque is great for coming out of roundabouts... blah blah blah'

Well, from june 2005, to june 2006, I did 19,250 miles in my 1.3 petrol which is about £200 a month fuel... but I had fun spending that £200... not on driving with power out of a roundabout but more like belting into it, keeping my power on because I have these strange things called revs and then powering out faster than anything near me... because of the lovely peaky and revvy delivery of a petrol.

Diesels are good for motorways, that's it. And don't start on the Audi R10... Yes, a good achievment, but Audi spent millions more than any other team developing their cars and they had a larger capacity and they used specially developed race diesel which kills tree's as it flies out of the back of the car and they made no noise... again, where's the fun in that??

Get a petrol, use loads of fuel and have fun! And if you care for the planet (like I do, you may be suprised to know) then you can offset your carbon emissions. For example, my car produces about 4.3 tonnes of carbon each year... to compensate, I dedicate 6 trees each year at a cost of £60, or £10 per tree. So for £60, i'm compensating for not buying a diesel (which incidently would produce 4.4 tonnes) and im having fun! Join me won't you! http://www.carbonneutral.com/shop/results.asp?cat1=Driving

well if anyone can tell me how to get these amazing mpg figures I'd love to know the secret, I only get 43mpg out of mine

People say, 'ooh, for doing more than 12,000 miles a year you need a diesel, the savings are so much greater than a petrol, and the torque is great for coming out of roundabouts... blah blah blah'

Well, from june 2005, to june 2006, I did 19,250 miles in my 1.3 petrol which is about £200 a month fuel... but I had fun spending that £200... not on driving with power out of a roundabout but more like belting into it, keeping my power on because I have these strange things called revs and then powering out faster than anything near me... because of the lovely peaky and revvy delivery of a petrol.

Diesels are good for motorways, that's it. And don't start on the Audi R10... Yes, a good achievment, but Audi spent millions more than any other team developing their cars and they had a larger capacity and they used specially developed race diesel which kills tree's as it flies out of the back of the car and they made no noise... again, where's the fun in that??

Get a petrol, use loads of fuel and have fun! And if you care for the planet (like I do, you may be suprised to know) then you can offset your carbon emissions. For example, my car produces about 4.3 tonnes of carbon each year... to compensate, I dedicate 6 trees each year at a cost of £60, or £10 per tree. So for £60, i'm compensating for not buying a diesel (which incidently would produce 4.4 tonnes) and im having fun! Join me won't you! http://www.carbonneutral.com/shop/results.asp?cat1=Driving

The D4D is cleaner than the Yaris petrol model. We pay £50 for a year of road tax.

"Diesels are good for motorways, that's it"

Hmm. A statement bourne out of ignorance imo. Driving several diesels and petrol cars over past 10 years, I found diesels in town, especially slow moving traffic, far easier due to low speed torque.

A petrol engined car at 3-7mph - typical stop start motoring - is rev, slow, clutch, rev etc - whilst a diesel is chug along in first or second gear at near tickover due to the low speed torque. Of course if you have a 3 litre petrol automatic Mercedes as I had at one time , that's wrong, but I'm comparing small manual cars ..and petrol is decidedly inferior to diesel...

The D4D is cleaner than the Yaris petrol model. We pay £50 for a year of road tax.

"Diesels are good for motorways, that's it"

Hmm. A statement bourne out of ignorance imo. Driving several diesels and petrol cars over past 10 years, I found diesels in town, especially slow moving traffic, far easier due to low speed torque.

A petrol engined car at 3-7mph - typical stop start motoring - is rev, slow, clutch, rev etc - whilst a diesel is chug along in first or second gear at near tickover due to the low speed torque. Of course if you have a 3 litre petrol automatic Mercedes as I had at one time , that's wrong, but I'm comparing small manual cars ..and petrol is decidedly inferior to diesel...

People, people, people....

Don't worry about Seveer. He and I have had this discussion soooooo many more times that I care to even think of - even I now refer to the fuel I put in as "diseasel" thanks to him :D - and its simply his reaction to a diesel thread. Heck, we've had it out so many times online that when we finally met at JAE we just couldn't be bothered any more.

Any time the diesel topic comes up he moans about pollution, I go on about torque and we're all happy :D

**sits back and watches proceedings, not really caring any more**

:thumbsup:

A

..and petrol is decidedly inferior to diesel...

but diesel is the scummy crap left in the bottom of the refinery, after the good stuff... petrol, has been siphoned off the top

its good for one thing... making bikers fall off and wagons lock up :lol:

whilst a diesel is chug along

Precisely. Chug.

They're lazy cars, dirty cars and people who say that they're sporty are just plain bonkers, barmy and pretty f**kin stupid.

Who wants to chug along on low speed torque when you can thrum along at high-speed revs.

Alan is the execption because he took his to the 'ring! :thumbsup:

3413574068.jpg

*Cough Cough - soon it will be F1 cars and then the rest of the world :lol: :P

Read boy!

And don't start on the Audi R10... Yes, a good achievment, but Audi spent millions more than any other team developing their cars and they had a larger capacity and they used specially developed race diesel which kills tree's as it flies out of the back of the car and they made no noise... again, where's the fun in that??

Just been reading and found out that Audi's race budget (not including building the cars) was £55m. The car that separated the two Audi's was from a team with a budget of less than 10% of Audi's.

Also, to put even more perspective on how shallow the victory is... in 1995, Gordan Murray and the McLaren F1 team took 4 F1 road cars modded to GT racing status and came first, third, fourth and fifth. That was with a budget of £1m.

Diesels suck.

Getting bored now.... YAWN!

Diesels are better than they were, to be sure....

Nice place to visit on occasion, but I wouldnt wanna live there! :lol:

Best I've got (1.0l Yaris petrol), was about 380 miles to a tank.

I'm happy if I see 350 miles though.

Don't get a good chance for thrashing the car down twisty lanes often, but then I'm far more laid back in my car than when I'm on me bike.

Diesel will be inferior to petrol until the day they bring out a mass production motorcycle for the masses that uses diesel (Not including the short production runs they've done for the army, cause apart from looking uber cool and off-roading to die for, they are slow, and produce more black smoke than a burning marshmallow). ;)

*Sits back and awaits scowling ambush from diesly weasly drivers... :D ;)

Precisely. Chug.

They're lazy cars, dirty cars and people who say that they're sporty are just plain bonkers, barmy and pretty f**kin stupid.

Who wants to chug along on low speed torque when you can thrum along at high-speed revs.

Go and take a Avensis T180 D-4D for a test drive..... You maybe surprised.....

Precisely. Chug.

Go and take a Avensis T180 D-4D for a test drive..... You maybe surprised.....

I won't be... it's a 2.2 litre 180bhp car, it'll fly im sure, but if it was a 2.2 litre petrol developed for perforamcne like the 180 has then it'd develop more power and deliver it much better, therefore it'd be a quicker, more enjoyable car to drive. But, the Avensis is designed for motorway driving, so the diesel in this case is better for the economy. But as soon as an enjoyable drive pans out, a petrol will always be superior. Diesels are NOT sports cars. They are economical mile chuggers. They do NOT save the planet, they do NOT compensate in torque for their lack of power, whereas a petrol will produce a decent power for it's lack of torque, (usually both figures are very close). Ok, petrol's consume more fuel, but purely as a driving experience, diesels will never get close.

Hello everyone,

I do 90% of my miles on the motorway, at 70 - 75 mph, the other 10% being urban driving and I get 60 mpg pretty consistently.

I've had the car for 15k miles and I really love it. Compared to my old 1.2 petrol Corsa, which did about 35 mpg, it's just brilliant. I want my next car to be a diesel/electric Yaris hybrid doing 100+ mpg.

Gus

but if it was a 2.2 litre petrol developed for perforamcne like the 180 has then it'd develop more power and deliver it much better, therefore it'd be a quicker, more enjoyable car to drive.

I disagree :yes: !

Just look how many years the petrol engine has had to be redesigned and tweek etc. I don't know when diesels where first produced/invented but im pretty much sure that the petrol engine has been out longer.

I think that diesel engines are starting to catch up with the level of investments/redesign that the petrol engines has had, and there for catching up performance wise :thumbsup: !

And sorry but you can't compaire the level on investment from 1995 to 2006.

*Nothing like a healthy debate :thumbsup:

Ok, 2006 to 2006...

The car that came second, splitting these 'wonder' machines from Audi was done on a budget of less than 10% of Audi's!

Yes, diesels have made huge advances in their technology but both diesles and petrol engines were invented around the same time (1st petrol... Karl Benz 1885, 1st diesel... Rudolf Diesel 1897) and in that time petrol's have been far more succesful for simple reasons that they're cheaper, cleaner, more powerful and don't sound like bags of old spanners!

All you need to do is read James May's column in the TopGear mag out now... that explains it all. Including the fact that diesels produce 3 times more N02 than petrols which is far more harmful to us than C02.

At the end of the day, even my car which is pretty loud, doesn't cause as much traffic noise as a diesel. You walk down a city centre street at rush hour having a conversation and the vehicles which make you have to repeat yourself are buses, trucks, vans and diesel cars... all of which are running on the black sludge of death!

"All you need to do is read James May's column in the TopGear mag out now"

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS:-)

Nice guy but a man who runs old Bentleys and buys old XJSs and also owns a Boxster is as typical of normal thinking drivers as the current denizens of Big Brother are of thinking humanity:-))

"All you need to do is read James May's column in the TopGear mag out now"

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS:-)

Nice guy but a man who runs old Bentleys and buys old XJSs and also owns a Boxster is as typical of normal thinking drivers as the current denizens of Big Brother are of thinking humanity:-))

Ay, but he's a dude and his column about the diesels is spot on! :thumbsup:

I wonder how many of you 'experts' have ever owned a modern common rail diesel?

Your comments (lifted straight from that fop haired fairy from TG) may reflect the cr@ppy old 418SD Rover, Maestro van, Fiesta etc but they bear no resemblence to my D-4D Yaris or my tdi Skoda.

you guys rise to it every time...

:rolleyes:

A

Your comments (lifted straight from that fop haired fairy from TG) may reflect the cr@ppy old 418SD Rover, Maestro van, Fiesta etc but they bear no resemblence to my D-4D Yaris or my tdi Skoda.

Anything anyone says on here is called "opinion"

Everyone has these "opinions", you can't change them nor is there any point getting upset over them!

Some peoples "opinions" are that they dont like diesels, this is up to them, it's called "personal choice", also something there is no point getting upset over....

You might not like petrols, I'm not going to cry about it! Thats your "opinion", I respect that :thumbsup:

ive had to put up with several, all being the 'super duper' VAG stuff aswell, Audis, VWs and those tardy Skodas

verdict.... crap

torque! i couldnt care less! most of those 1.9 engines quote more power than my MR2, yet itll happily outdrag one up the steepest hills! :lol:

chugging along without a murmer at 2rpm? i aint ploughing fields!

lethargic, noisy, grubby horrible machines

how i was every over joyed to jump in my own car that runs on proper juice!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links