Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I Front-ended My Verso

sandereo

Hi -

I had the unfortunate experience to crash my Verso on Sunday the 6th.

I side-winded a mini-bus making a U-turn. I was doing +-50km/h when I slammed on brakes. Luckily, no structural damage was done, but the bumper, head-light and grill are smashed. I guess I was doing +- 30km/h when we made contact.

The airbags didn't deploy, which I'm glad about, since the belt was good enough to restrain the front occupants and although nobody was injured; the wife and kids were histerical.

I must say that I am a bit disappointed with the stopping capability of the Verso. I feel that the EBA should have done the job.

I went to Toyota to have a safety diagnostics check done, although the airbags didn't deploy. The computer indated no faults.

When I spoke to the Toyota service Manager, he said that all this fancy ABS, EBD, EBA actually increases the stopping distance.

My platic goods need replacing, but the min-bus need a new front section and door. I must say that the Verso's structure is very stable.

Regards

Erwin

Interesting comment about the brakes.

I have a T180 and have really had a fright on more than one occasion when hitting the brakes quickly with nothing seeming to happen. It's almost like the brake assist has been programmed in reverse - hit them hard and the computer goes "Dave, I don't think you meant to do that".

• 2 months later...

I have had the opposite problem with the brakes in my T3, I am too scared of hitting hard now, as they are way too sharp, as i ended up doing a full blown skid down the road, to avoid having a 120mph (approx 180/190 km/h) head on collision with some morron driving a old clapped out piece of a rust bucket, called a Rover, my shoulder still hurts to today from it, as the brakes took the car by surprise! Have your caliper, pad and disc distance cheacked, as they may be out!

Sandereo, I do know what those mini-buses are like, they look like they are about to fall apart, well they are sometimes held together by chewing gum, and sticky tape. I drove a VW Microbus when I was out there last, and you will be amazed by the way that people will not let you into lane, when you indicate, so being a moody b*****d that I am, the other person went on the wrong side of the road, because I was not taking any of it! They should have gave way to me, their mistake!!!! (Microbus was rented from a renter so it was in good nick) Except it had no second gear, and could not travel uphill, and having no speedo! But hey it was good fun for taking around on safari!

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm driving my Dutch version of your T180 for two month's and its running very fine B) .

Last Sunday I was driving (at last) at the German Autobahn ;) :lol: . My wife asked me how fast I was driving and the Speedo signed 220KMh. There was wind noise arround the car, but the engine, no sound of, so... what an engine :D . and what an amazing car.

About using te brakes, using them by hitting the brake padel fast (panic brake), is like smashing your body into a concrete wall. This is something I already had to do after driving my car about 1.000Km and another driver was standing on the street, looked to the right and turned suddenly to the left :angry: where "Me, Myself and I", was was driving about 60Kmh. My car was down to "zero" KMh in no time and fortunattely I missed the "driving chickane" in front of me. Without the BAS I think I may have hit the other car.

I also told my doughter (22 yrs old and, yes I'm happy when I may drive my own car in the weekends and evenings) that just in case, step to the pedal as fast as you can and don't be affraid what happens than. Very important not to release the brake pedal because of a lot of noise caused by the ABS :D system and if needed VSC "actions".

If you think the BAS and ABS is working against you, check your brake pads and disks and be sure that you have original parts fitted. Imitation parts give an unexpected respons to your ABS/TRC/EBD/VSC and so it is possible that your car has anunusual response on a "panic brake".

Jos

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links