Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Levin/trueno

kylejmorrison

Hey

I am looking at getting a 1995 toyota levin or trueno bzg.

Can someone please tell me what the diffrence between a 1995 toyota levin bzg and a 1995 toyota trueno bzg.

What is the generaly thoughts on these cars and what price is reasonable to pay for one in really good condition with 86,000 kms

Thanks

It's the same car is it not? the older levins & truenos models just meant that one had pop up lights the other did not. I dont think the newer levins had pop up lights so it must be the same car?

Only thing to watch out for is the superstrut on the levins as when they get to 60k you "will" need to change lower arms on the suspension it's the same problem that gt4's have

There is only cosmetic differences between the Levin and Trueno and always has been, same car, just looks different. The Sprinter Trueno had slightly different rear lights to the Corolla Levin, its not easy to distinguish they're that similar. The facelift in 1997 made them a lot easier to distinguish as the Levin had three black lines going horizontally through the rear lights, front lights were different too, Trueno had a smoked black effect where the Levin was chrome. There are two types of BZ-G so make sure you know which one you're getting, one has SuperStrut and a Helical LSD, the 'standard' BZ-G has neither.

Over in Ireland, I'd expect to pay between 5,500 to 7,000 Euro for a 95/96 Levin/Trueno. Lovely cars, beware of the power figures stated by Toyota as unfortunately they region between 145-155bhp in standard form, not the 165bhp stated from the factory.

but i think what they mean is that the engine itself is producing 165bhp, and by the time the power reaches the wheels its 145-155bhp. power would be lost from different things like alternator or any other things that require power, if that makes sense :ffs:

No, I was talking about power at the flywheel. Not WHP. The WHP figures of a standard BT 20v are around the 118-128 mark. Power loss due to the transmission, tyres etc. varies between 10-15% on a FWD car, but the C160 box has been known to experience more transmission loss than the C56 box, up to 5% more.

Limited Slip Differential. A helical LSD is a torque-sensitive mechanical LSD. Create problems? Far from it, it increases traction and handling and prevents torque steer.

Say for instance you accelerate hard in the rain, and one wheel on the driven axle (in this case its FF) experiences less traction than the other wheel. With a 'standard' open differential it would allow the wheel with less traction to spin or increase its RPM relative to the other wheel. In this case the wheel with less traction would never gain traction and would continue to spin.

With the helical LSD, it prevents the wheel experiencing loss of traction from spinning. Torque is distributed to both wheels in proportion to the traction available at each wheel. You can imagine how helpful this is and you can apply this logic to cornering also, so better cornering and better traction.

A big advantage about a helical LSD is that it requires very little maintenance. You can treat it the same as an open differential, change the oil regularly and it will last longer than the car.

Limited Slip Differential. A helical LSD is a torque-sensitive mechanical LSD. Create problems? Far from it, it increases traction and handling and prevents torque steer.

Say for instance you accelerate hard in the rain, and one wheel on the driven axle (in this case its FF) experiences less traction than the other wheel. With a 'standard' open differential it would allow the wheel with less traction to spin or increase its RPM relative to the other wheel. In this case the wheel with less traction would never gain traction and would continue to spin.

With the helical LSD, it prevents the wheel experiencing loss of traction from spinning. Torque is distributed to both wheels in proportion to the traction available at each wheel. You can imagine how helpful this is and you can apply this logic to cornering also, so better cornering and better traction.

A big advantage about a helical LSD is that it requires very little maintenance. You can treat it the same as an open differential, change the oil regularly and it will last longer than the car.

Just wanted to ask if the HElical LSD was only available for the 6 speed box or the 5-speed? Just want to find out as i am using the 5 speed from a 1992 Levin GT apex in my G6! I don't like torque steer! :P

Just wanted to ask if the HElical LSD was only available for the 6 speed box or the 5-speed? Just want to find out as i am using the 5 speed from a 1992 Levin GT apex in my G6! I don't like torque steer! :P

Afraid not, only the GT-Z (4A-GZE) had an LSD as standard.

The BZ-R was only available from April 1997 onwards and has Superstrut suspension, 6-speed box and LSD as standard. The BZ-G from that period on also had the C160 box, but didn't have an LSD, SS was an option. Before April 1997, there were two models of BZ-G, an SS BZ-G and a standard BZ-G. The SS BZ-G had SS and an LSD, the standard one had neither. Both 5-speed boxes (C56). Engines are all the same, no difference there. Contrary to popular belief the BZ-R is not faster.

The BZ-R was only available from April 1997 onwards and has Superstrut suspension, 6-speed box and LSD as standard. The BZ-G from that period on also had the C160 box, but didn't have an LSD, SS was an option. Before April 1997, there were two models of BZ-G, an SS BZ-G and a standard BZ-G. The SS BZ-G had SS and an LSD, the standard one had neither. Both 5-speed boxes (C56). Engines are all the same, no difference there. Contrary to popular belief the BZ-R is not faster.

Do you know which LSD will fit my gearbox? I also want to know what exactly is superstrut suspension?

Kaaz and Cusco manufacture LSD's for your box, on the downside they'll be difficult to source. Your gearbox is the C52 so if you can find a scrapped GT-Z you'll be able to get yourself a cheap LSD. In 1993 the gearboxes changed to the C56 but i'm not sure on their compatibility maybe someone else could confirm this.

Here is a pretty good explanation of the SuperStrut suspension.

http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/superstrut.htm

Do you know which LSD will fit my gearbox? I also want to know what exactly is superstrut suspension?

heres an idea.....just buy a second hand 'gze gearbox w'lsd from fensport....about 280 stirling plus vat, and fit that instead

So the 4agze gearbox is a C52 aswel? I will probably buy the whole gearbox from Fensport as i also know that trying to source a lsd from the 4agze is very hard. Is the 4agze gearbox or LSD the same as the one fitted to the starlet GT turbo's?

• 1 month later...

Can someone tell me what has changed to the levin threw the years (1995- onwards), and did the 1997 come out in facelift and without facelift?

Hi,

Mostly, as per said, the levin and trueno's your talking about, the Ae111's are the same, just very slight front/ rear changes.

The Ae111 trueno and Levins had a facelift in 1997. SO 1995-1997 you could get 20 v blacktops in the BZR mdoel (5 spd manual) of the BZG (auto). Bodykit wasn't standard, but many BZR's did come with them, interior is velour with a green and silver/red and silver stripe. Most came with rear spoilers etc...

When the facelift happened in 1997, the rear spoiler was made bigger, front bumper changed to incorporate round lower front fogs, different front and rear lights were introduced with a newer crystal style. The 6sp manual was introduced to the BZR's, the interior slightly changed to black and red cloth style seats. Skirts were made standard on the BZR and some BZG's.

Its is a very good car, the facelift costs a lot more than the 1995 model, mainly due to the 6sp variety with bodykit being very sort after.

thanks,

Kamran

hi knowlson

know anywhere i can get a trueno ae86 i just watch Initial D the movie :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links