Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gear Stick Just Got Loose.

madder

I had a gearbox fitted in my 1996 Corolla Xli about 2 months ago. Tonight after a drive home from work which took just over an hour, I decided to stop at the shops. When I got back into the car, I started her up, put her in first and the gear stick seemed to get floppy suddenly. I double checked it and noticed that it wasn't in gear at all. The gear stick was floppy, moving forwards and back, but it wouldn't go into gear or move sideways(as in go to a higher gear). It just flops upwards and downwards.

AM I throwing good money after bad on this car or what? Does this mean the gearbox is gone again? ANd if it does, surely my mechanic has to fix it again for free, since he only put it in a couple of months ago?

Can anyone tell me what it is? :crybaby:

Thanks G6-R. Is that something that shouldn't happen if the gearbox has recently been changed?

I rang me mechanic today and told him the symptoms and he said it sounds like a simple linkage problem and that he can fix it fairly handy. He won't be around til monday though.

turns out the plastic that holds the linkage cables broke and therefore had to be replaced? It costs 160 euros to but the linkage cables!! I've spent a fortune on this cars repairs this year. Nealy 2 grand.

But I've gotta know why this thing is made of plastic?

are there in Ireland no salvageyards where a corolla is stripped down than its much cheaper

But I've gotta know why this thing is made of plastic?

Because THEY know it's going to break, leaving us no choice but to pay the extortionate amounts for replacement parts. Corporate avarice is the way of the world these days, unfortunately.

I never heard overhere in the Netherlands that those things break , and i,am olso present on http://www.corollaforum.nl and there,s nobody with a TOPIC over this problem :!Removed!:

It's a 10 year old car, so I guess from that perspective wear and tear and things need to be replaced, but I think using plastic is for the exact reasons that Panners suggests.

But even for a 10 year old car, I have spent a lot of money on it, and Corollas are supposed to have a reputation for being very well built and giving little or no trouble. SO far this year I've replaced a windshield, but the rubber surround keeps getting loose again, the hand brake cable, the clutch, the timing belt, the gear box, and now the linkage cable. Not to mention the usual Tyres, Full service, brake shoes and oil changes!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links