Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cleaning Residue Off Car...

Angelicevil

Car parked out on the street, half on/half off jobbie. Lashing down with rain last night. I go to get into the car this morning and notice a huge line across the driver's side. At first I panicked thinking some c**t keyed my car then realised it was residue that was coming off when rubbed very hard with a fingernail. Did notice a small hairline crack where some paint did go missing which I'm extremely p*ssed off at, but I keep having to tell myself it could've been a lot worse. :censor: :censor: :censor:

Anyways, the residue looks like either rubber or paint or a mixture of both. Because the line is wavy it doesn't look like another car scraped it plus my wing mirror would've been taken off, same if it had been a bike as the line stops just under the wing mirror. I've no idea what exactly the residue is but it looks like it could take some elbow grease to take off. Can anyone suggest a half decent detergent/home solution to getting really annoying things like this off the car with the least possible damage to the paint?

To be honest the car does need a good clean but because it sits outside all the time (whether in the driveway or street) it doesn't get washed as often as it should be! :huh:

PS - what's the best way to patch up a small hairline crack in the paint?

If its a crack in the paint then take it back to Toyota, surely your Aygo is still under warrenty?

T-Cut or better Meguiars Scratch-X will fetch the offending rubber / paint off. Unless the damage to your paintwork has gone down to the primer, it'll probably do a pretty good job of sorting that out too.

You should polish the area after using either of them to protect the paintwork too.

If its a crack in the paint then take it back to Toyota, surely your Aygo is still under warrenty?

Alas it's not a design fault. It's a hairline scratch resulting from whatever it was that left the residue. :(

T-Cut or better Meguiars Scratch-X will fetch the offending rubber / paint off. Unless the damage to your paintwork has gone down to the primer, it'll probably do a pretty good job of sorting that out too.

You should polish the area after using either of them to protect the paintwork too.

Thanks for the suggestion. Having only taken ownership of the car a month and a half ago I really don't want any damage becoming any worse than it already is.

I'd take it back to Toyota anyway and plead ignorance.... :yes:

If they say no then at least you gave it a go, but they might say yes and then they'll sort it for you :thumbsup:

Try a pitchfork and some Jif ?

Hmm...yeah a pitchfork for whatever :censor: :censor: did this. Ah well, suppose it's what to expect when you park your car in the street.

You won't make anything worse using Scratch-X :) T-Cut would be fine too unless you go really berserk (provided you use the metallic stuff if your car is metallic).

It'll just fetch whatever has been stuck to the surface off your paint off and if the scratch is minor enough it'll mask it so you won't see it anymore either. If the scratch goes through your paint to the primer or worse down to bare metal, you'll have to get some painting done to cover it up.

If that's the case and Toyota won't do it (and I doubt they will lol) then get a recommendation for a ChipsAway type franchise near you and they'll be able to sort it. Worth getting a recommendation as all those kinds of companies are franchises - most are fine, some are excellent and a few are downright awful ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links