Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Suggested Tyres For Toyota...?

Gem2509

Hi

Wondered if someone could help me, just bought some new alloys for celica vvti 190, which is all very nice and I've done well not to scratch them yet, even if I do say so myself ,however the tyres are, to put it bluntly, a load of rubbish!!! They are 205/45/17, not sure what make (it's late and i can't be bothered to go look) however after driving in them today in the rain I know for certain that they are dangerous!! They just don't grip.

I took it to a garage a few weeks ago and they said at the time I could have done with going for 50's or 55's, however as the tyres were supplied with the alloys, and are what they recommend to be correct for the car, and I actually paid £40 for an upgrade from 40's to 45's, I was wondering whether I had anything I could come back to them with as I can't help but think that these shouldn't be recommended as being a safe tyre for this car. My car struggles to pull away if the ground is wet, I just wheel spin (and no im not putting my foot down!). As I'm sure you'll all know these cars just stick to the road, or at least mine used to and now it'd struggle to go round a corner at 50 that I used to take at 80 if the roads wet (hypothetically speaking obviously with the speed limit 'n' all!! lol)

So any advice on what tyre specs you'd recommend would be greatly appreciated, I know nothing about it whatsoever, but I don't think this company should be able to sell these with these alloys, specifically recommending them for my car as they're lethal and as i don't know anything about tyres it'd be good to go back to them with some ammunition other than - 'I don't think they're sufficient!'

G

:)

Depends , would be nice to know the make of tyres .

A lot of Cheap alloy/tyres deal includes budget tyres - no matter what size they will be pretty crap .

Depends , would be nice to know the make of tyres .

A lot of Cheap alloy/tyres deal includes budget tyres - no matter what size they will be pretty crap .

Well that's the thing, we've bought alloys from this company before for a few cars and never found this problem, thats why i'm thinking that it's more of a wrong suggestion as opposed to rubbish tyres.

Will post the make later....

G

:)

no its definately rubbish tyres!

My car came with duff tyres on the standard wheels that were dangerous (later found out they were grass tyres!!) so when i bought new wheels i did a fair bit of research into what tyres to buy. I ended up going for Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres and they are amazing!!! stick to the road in the dry.... and exactly the same in the wet :D

i strongly recommend them! when they wear out i will buy them again! :D

how does the car handle in the dry? my mate got a wheel and tyre package,nankang tyres or somthin like that,they are ok in the dry but as soon as the grounds wet the cars all over the place.best idea would be to get yourself some better tyres and all will be fine,toyo,goodyear,michelin,yokos all decent tyres

Post the make up then we can decide from there whether they are really bad or not :lol:

A lot of people rate Toyo T1R/T1S and i'm also running Eagle F1s like Adam, no grip problems in the wet with these I can assure you! :D

Echo everyone else - its just cheap rubbish budget tyres.

Get a set of Toyo T1-R's. Should come in at about £300 fitted. Keep your old set and try n sell them on your local cruise site for way more than they're worth!

A lot of people rate Toyo T1R/T1S and i'm also running Eagle F1s like Adam, no grip problems in the wet with these I can assure you! :D

I used to have Eagles on my Audi. Stunning tyres in the wet :thumbsup:

Get a set of Toyo T1-R's

i looked at these tyres and it sounds like they grip really well, about the same as eagle f1s... but the reason i went for the f1s in the end was because they are meant to last a lot longer :)

Toyo`s use the softest rubber known to mankind. I think it`s probably the same as Durex use. But they don`t split so easy. :D

I used to have Eagles on my Audi. Stunning tyres in the wet :thumbsup:

:yes: When I first drove on them in the wet it was a rather strange experience to have so much grip! :lol:

Get a set of Toyo T1-R's

i looked at these tyres and it sounds like they grip really well, about the same as eagle f1s... but the reason i went for the f1s in the end was because they are meant to last a lot longer :)

Ah, fair point. Only 8 months in with my T1-S's and I'm about to be illegal on the fronts... Just waiting for the next pay day to get 'em swapped.

Get a set of Toyo T1-R's

Ah, fair point. Only 8 months in with my T1-S's and I'm about to be illegal on the fronts... Just waiting for the next pay day to get 'em swapped.

mine have been on for 10 months and are like new :toast:

204/45x17 IS one of the recommended sizes for the Celica, however i'm sure most people prefer useing the 215/40x17 or 215/45x17 (if you have a big space between the arch and the tyre, then the higher sidewall looks better... but if the car is lowered then the smaller sidewall may be a better choice).

I am going with the rest of this horrible lot, it will be budget tyres they have fitted, Nankang, Wanli, etc.. or they may have upgraded you to "premium performance" tyres, these would include the likes of Falken, Kumho etc.. If you can, get yourself a set of Toyo's or Goodyears for what will probably be the best performing tyres.. could also be worth pricing up Bridgestones and Continentals too.

(if you have a big space between the arch and the tyre, then the higher sidewall looks better...

i would disagree.. i think the lower the profile the better they look :yes:

It doesn't look good if there is a large gap between the wheel arch and the tyre though.. car would need lowered to fill the arches.

It doesn't look good if there is a large gap between the wheel arch and the tyre though.. car would need lowered to fill the arches.

That's true. I am using 215 40 17 and it looks like I'm on stilts.

If I was to change the tyres I'd go for 45's. I was driving my friends DC5 and he's using 45's too and it does feel a lot smoother without looking thick.

I don't want to lower my car because in longon we have more speedb umps then sand in egypt.

If I was to change my car and buy new wheels fresh I think I'll go for 18" with 40's and if I can fit 45's.

My car came with duff tyres on the standard wheels that were dangerous (later found out they were grass tyres!!) so when i bought new wheels i did a fair bit of research into what tyres to buy. I ended up going for Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres and they are amazing!!! stick to the road in the dry.... and exactly the same in the wet :D

These better be be good - just ordered 4 , after being messed about on e-bay..

My uncle got me them for £80 each + £10 fitting :lol: good price i though...well not bad :lol:

Monday they'll be on :thumbsup:

215/45 r 17

Good stuff :)

By the way, avoid kumho ecsta supra 712's like the plague. I won't post up my review of them off the TOC! forum, lets just say they're bad and leave it at that :lol:

EIDT: SPLELNIG

Good stuff :)

By the way, avoid kumho ecsta supra 712's like the plague. I won't post up my review of them off the TOC! forum, lets just say they're bad and leave it at that :lol:

EIDT: SPLELNIG

Really??? I`ve got them on the four. Not had a problem with them in the dry. And it don`t get driven in the wet. :D I know Ventus are a bit dodgy in the wet. :rolleyes:

oops- no offence meant bud.

I had these on my 17's when i bought them (no, not those ones ;)) and initially thought that the car handled terribly because of the lack of sidewall- i've had 16's then 15's before. I got used to it, then changed the fronts to yoko parada spec 2's when the kumhos wore out, and the difference is immense.

It could be us front drivers need all the grip we can get :lol:

yeah . I've got some nankang things on just now and the grip is pishe !!

Twice i've lost the rear !!!! coming off roundabouts , !Removed! scary and driving in the wet is not fun..........wheelspins everywhere

None taken. & definately. In that order. :thumbsup:

Twice i've lost the rear !!!! coming off roundabouts , !Removed! scary and driving in the wet is not fun..........wheelspins everywhere

Nankang is Taiwanese for "Do not use on cars - Rickshaw tyre only" ;) :thumbsup:

None taken. & definately. In that order. :thumbsup:

Nankang is Taiwanese for "Do not use on cars - Rickshaw tyre only" ;) :thumbsup:

:lol::lol:

These better be be good - just ordered 4 , after being messed about on e-bay..

My uncle got me them for £80 each + £10 fitting :lol: good price i though...well not bad :lol:

Monday they'll be on :thumbsup:

215/45 r 17

They are awesome Chris :yes::thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links