Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is It Me Or The D4d?

mickey.j

Newbe here.

I have a just returned from a test drive in the 2.2 d4d avensis,oh dear. the car i drove was started from cold and it made a terrible tinny rattle from the engine during accleration ,very simialr to a petrol engine pinking.,but once warmed up the noise dissapeared. i did visit a second dealer and drove the same model a 2.2 d4d on a 55 plate not the 180 though.and this also had the same noise.

Does anyone know if all d4ds suffer this problem,i used to own an a4 tdi so i do know what a diesel sounds like.also can the basic 2.2 be chipped to match the 180?

ps the a4 was a total nightmare to own. you think toyota dealers are arrogant just try and have problems resolved by audi. :angry:

Any how any comments on the d4d please. :)

My 2.0 grumbles a bit when cold, coming from a petrol to it I was a bit concerned, but 45K miles later, I've kinda tuned it out now, and I've not no engine issues either so I guess it must be a toyota thing *shrug*

I've found a lot of diesels tend to make a tinny rattle when cold. When i worked for skoda i used a octavia 1.9tdi and that rattled a bit when cold. Dont get me started on ford tdci engines. What i've found with modern diesels is to give them a slight rev just after starting up that tends to make them tick over smoother and quieter.

All of the Nissan Diesels are exactly the same, nothing to worry about at all, or at least I hope not or all of our Demo's which are less than 6 month old and mostly under 3k on the clock are in trouble :D

Newbe here.

I have a just returned from a test drive in the 2.2 d4d avensis,oh dear. the car i drove was started from cold and it made a terrible tinny rattle from the engine during accleration ,very simialr to a petrol engine pinking.,but once warmed up the noise dissapeared. i did visit a second dealer and drove the same model a 2.2 d4d on a 55 plate not the 180 though.and this also had the same noise.

Does anyone know if all d4ds suffer this problem,i used to own an a4 tdi so i do know what a diesel sounds like.also can the basic 2.2 be chipped to match the 180?

ps the a4 was a total nightmare to own. you think toyota dealers are arrogant just try and have problems resolved by audi. :angry:

Don't think the 150 can be chipped to match the 180 - perhaps a chip would increase the power, but the 180 has a different injection system - piezo rather than solenoid injection. Apart from that the engines appear pretty much identical. If you want 180bhp/400Nm, you are probably better off buying a T180 rather than trying to improve a 150. :)

Comments on the 2.2 150 - it is rattlier when cold and at very low ( < 1200) revs, but generally is as good as a petrol engine for smoothness IMO (certainly smoother and much more eager to rev than the petrol Mondeo I owned previously). Economy is excellent, I easily acheive 50mpg on a regular basis and expect this to improve as the mileage increases. :thumbsup:

I believe tuning boxes can be sourced for either the 150bhp 2.2 D-4D or the D-CAT T180 but I have no experience of their effectiveness.

I have a T180 and have no rattles on cold start, nor do I see the occasional black smoke seen from the tail pipe of previous BMW or Audi diesels. The T180 doesn't burn oil either, logical considering the lack of black smoke from the exhaust. I haven't looked at 'chipping' the T180 or adding a tuning box for fear of introducing problems such as black smoke from the exhaust. ;)

My 2.0 D4D rattles a bit when cold but this is most noticeable on light throttle for a mile or two. I think all diesels do this to some extent. Turn the music up. :D

My 2.0 D4D rattles a bit when cold but this is most noticeable on light throttle for a mile or two. I think all diesels do this to some extent. Turn the music up. :D

Yep exactly the same ;) !

Turn the music up. :D

Hmmm. I think the diesel engine makes a more pleasant sound than the Avensis stereo :( Sorry, it's my one real gripe about the car....

Really? One of the things that sold the Avensis to me over the Mazda 626 was thats its stereo was so much better than the Mazda's, and the Mondeo's come to that!

The avensis sound system i find is spot on i've yet to drive a car thats better, well thats a lie the is200 is a far better system but for a car in its class the avensis sound system is way ahead.

Really? One of the things that sold the Avensis to me over the Mazda 626 was thats its stereo was so much better than the Mazda's, and the Mondeo's come to that!

I had a Mondeo before and I find the stereo a big step back in quality. Louder perhaps, certainly better for vocals and treble, but with 'muddy' bass and a distinct lack of mid-range.

It really does depend on the music: I find dance/hip-hop music sounds intolerably poor now - anything with a complex combination of bass lines is just mush; the Black Eyed Peas/Kanye West have fuzzy boomy bass and make me feel like this :bangin: ; dug out Oasis' Definately Maybe the other day - sounded hopeless. By contrast Mike Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells' sounds fantastic :walkman: , as do Fleetwood Mac, Carter USM, New Order. It just seems so sensitive to what is being played - unlike me, clearly I will listen to anything :D .

Incidentally, is yours the current MP3/WMA compatible one (mine is)? Perhaps the new model is not an improvement?

Lol even more interesting! As a practicing bass player (not got it perfect yet!) I enjoy hearing the bass in my music, not into hip hop icky stuff anyway so can't comment on that, but as you say Tubular bells is spot on, my rock stuff, Muse, Bowie, Evenesence etc is kickin', but all my Oasis sound mushy, even on home CD, mp3 player etc, its just the way they mix I think. My 2005 2.0 doesn't play mp3's as far as I know, so maybe that adds to the issues as well.

• 1 year later...

Hi Peter Here

I have a 2.2L Avensis too, having had 2.0L petrol versions since. My issue is the same, it sounds like "Pinking" when pulling away, especially when warm. it also feels like its missing now and again. Anyone experienced the same? Ive had it since December and have done around 7k of mixed driving, leaning towards the short journeys wit the weekly long journey thrown in. Always use good branded diesel too.

Had my T180 since Easter, its done 26,000 miles.

Sounds nice and quiet on start up, no smoke, no rattles. :)

Currently averaging 41 to 42 MPG (16 mile commute plus 'knocking about'.) :yahoo:

I'm happy with it so far. B)

Cheers

Ady

Hi Peter again

Took my car to the dealer yesterday to see if they felt it was "pinking" and excessively knocking. At first, the mechanic couldnt hear anything unusual, then he began to hear what i could hear (excessive knocking at low revs and a pinking sound), he took it to the workshop, put it on the diagnostics and hey presto, ive been asked to take it back next week for a new set of injectors and a replacement someting-or-other that was "overfilled" during assembly which has possibly gunged up the cylinders? All under warranty. Dont know what this something-or-other is because unusually for my dealership, the original mechanic couldnt be bothered to come out and explain. Left it to the counter staff. Mind you, they did wash my car.

Moral of the story - go with your instincts. If it sounds wrong, get it checked out.

Ill let you know the outcome.

BTW - im getting 48MPG on a run and around 36MPG around town, so i cant be that bad (can it?)

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Peter agan

Just to inform you that my local garage did what they had to do to my "pinking", noisy, misfiring engine (2.2 diesel) yesterday and now its like driving a different car. It sounds completely different - quiet and precise. Its performance has improved along with the economy. How can replacing the injectors have such an impact on noise??

Newbe here.

hello

each diesel engine is noisy at cold starting due to designed feature.

But in case it is provided with preheating system as stand by then this engine is started smoothly.

cheers/Igor

As well documented I detest my T180 for undeperforming and excessive fuel consumption. But, one thing they are not is unrefined, they are a match for anything and much quieter than most.

As for getting a T180 rather than chipping a 150. NO WAY avoid the T180 DPF like the plague, my opinion, I have one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I suspect a chipped 150 will be vastly superior, In fact I would prefer one if not chipped!

Peter. Glad your problem is solved, I kinda agree with Bry on the other point, I would prefer a chipped 150 to a 180, if I was going down that route, test drove a 150 vensis estate a few weeks ago, as well as a T180 Auris, and to my mind the estate was in a different league engine wise. Bear in mind this wasn't just a scoot round the block, I had them both for a coupla days each. The 180 engine just doesn't feel any more powerful to me, and fuel consumption sucked. So... my new company car will be......a Prius!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links